GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,160
1 members and 1,159 guests
No Members online

Old 12-22-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out how a PNM would broach that with a sorority: "So, you like me? Then take my 4 buddies." I would love to know how that plays out.
I think it's a little bit more obvious from the Rho Gammas point of view but the actives know it's happening. Due to deferred rush we hear a lot about the different "cliques" coming through and which ones are vowing to all join the same one. We did have one girl once say in her pref night that she wanted to be in the same sorority as her roommate. It almost came more out of a sense of concern. He roommate was really shy and she wasn't and I think she knew that her roommate stood a higher chance of getting cut than she did and I don't think she meant it to sound like a demand, just an honest statement. Luckily for her we also liked her roommate but if we didn't I can imagine how that statment might have came across.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurGirl View Post
I feel like that's something the PXs should really emphasize during recruitment -- just because you're in different sororities does not mean you can't be friends anymore!
THIS.

And... ah yes, the package deals. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Funnily enough, my chapter thought I was a package deal with another PNM because we happened to walk in the door at the same time (local sorority, informal recruitment). I had never met the other PNM before that moment. We each got bids and we each got very involved - but I never got along with her, and haven't spoken to her since graduation.

Hey, if Prize Plum PNM wants to turn down an invitation or bid to XYZ sorority because they didn't issue an invite/bid to one or two of her posse, that's Prize Plum PNM's loss. What if a job candidate were to say, "If you want me to come work for you, you also have to hire Tom, Dick, and Harry" when Tom, Dick, and/or Harry aren't qualified? I'd say, "That's nice - don't call us, we'll call you" and file her resume in the cylindrical file.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

TWINS

Going along with the package deal, we had twins; Heather and Heidi, going through rush one year. I rushed one of them on the first day. One of the first things she said was how attached to her twin she was, they were roomies, they had done everything together their whole lives and wanted to go to the same house together.

I think that everyone knew they were a package deal, specifically because of the twin issue. It was accepted throughout all the chapters in Rush.
And yes, they did go to the same house, a top tier house. They cut our house.

However, I have heard that some twins have gone to separate houses. I believe that there are a few twins on GC?

Incidentally, we had a twin who was a member of our chapter. Her twin was a member at a school across the country.

The whole twin thing could open up a whole other can of worms.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I'm trying to figure out how a PNM would broach that with a sorority: "So, you like me? Then take my 4 buddies." I would love to know how that plays out.
Carnation, I am willing to bet that you know exactly what those conversations sounded like . Doesn't take much imagination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
That said, there was a girl who rushed at one of my schools and she was truly the "prize plum" of that year. This being a bed rush, the pledge class sizes were very limited and to the shock of many, a relative of the girl (who normally wouldn't have gotten a bid anywhere, it was felt) ended up in the selective pledge class that Prize Plum was in. I wonder if Relative always felt that on campus:"You're only an Alpha Beta because they had to take you to get Plum."
Oh yeah, seen that one. And heard the cruel remarks as well, behind Relative's back.

Points to what we say ad nauseum on this site to every PNM who posts here: "find the place where YOU will be happy/find your home, not someone else's" or a variation on that theme.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-22-2010, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl View Post
TWINS

Going along with the package deal, we had twins; Heather and Heidi, going through rush one year. I rushed one of them on the first day. One of the first things she said was how attached to her twin she was, they were roomies, they had done everything together their whole lives and wanted to go to the same house together.

I think that everyone knew they were a package deal, specifically because of the twin issue. It was accepted throughout all the chapters in Rush.
And yes, they did go to the same house, a top tier house. They cut our house.

However, I have heard that some twins have gone to separate houses. I believe that there are a few twins on GC?

Incidentally, we had a twin who was a member of our chapter. Her twin was a member at a school across the country.

We actually had one twin whose sister was an ADPi. IIRC they deliberately chose to go to different chapters unless they happened to fall in love with the same one. Ours was a gamma rho one year and because she and her twin were almost identical everyone thought she was an ADPi. So when the gamma rhos did their reveal she faked out the PNMs and ran to her sister at ADPi (they were all in on it)...then to us. The PNMs were shocked.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl View Post
TWINS

See, there was this thing...
Old 12-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

it seems to me that i remember every set of twins who rushed during my collegiate years making an effort to let each of their rush hostesses know that they were individuals and would be making the best decision for her-individually. if they ended up in the same chapter, then "hooray", but it would be by chance, not design. some of them ended up in the same chapter, while other ones found their places in different chapters.

we had one set of twins in my pledge class and one twin in the pledge class above mine. her sister pledged one of our backdoor neighbor sororities. we also had some members who had older sisters in other chapters on campus. as far as i can remember, each one of them let it be known that they would be choosing the chapter that was the best fit for them.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 PM

^^^Same here. Any twins who ever rushed here were the type who didn't want to be thought of as a "package." One set did end up in the same chapter, but they said that it wasn't something they were dead set on from the beginning.

We had plenty of Package Deal Friends. Usually, various members of the Package would discover during the week that they liked different houses and that it was okay for them to be different. They also weren't going to drop out because their friends didn't get what they wanted. Ex: If Suzy loved DG, she wasn't turning down her DG pref invite because Julie and Katie didn't get one.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was a collegian I recall one set of twins pledging the same sorority and a set of identical triplets doing the same thing. However, another set of twins pledged different houses - and the ones they pledged were NOTHING alike.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
We had a set of twins and we also had one twin and the other one went AGD I think? I could be wrong about that as it was before my time.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Banned

I think if twins want to be a package deal, they should just wear matching sequined hose throughout recruitment. That way there would be no awkward questions asked or assumptions made by the sorority women. Is it possible this could be added to the Green Book?
Old 12-24-2010, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I know that we had accidental package deals when there were two PNM's with the same name coming through...if nobody could remember who was who, we'd just invite them both back.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Many of these PNM's bring these attitudes with them because they've been "steered" or brainwashed by someone in the family.

This is especially true if the PNM is attending a large University with a strong Greek population, and the relative was in one of the "big" houses. Truth be told, we know that in these cases, there are often enough legacies to that one house to fill their quota. Not only that, to narrow it down even more, enough legacies to that specific chapter to fill quota.

When I was a Panhellenic sponsorship chairman some years ago, we knew a train wreck would be just around the corner and lots of broken hearts, sometimes more from Mom or Grandma than the PNM herself, who was shocked to find she actually favored the so and so's over Mom's house. PNM would be happy and Mom would be bitter.

Heck, my roommate in college was cut by her Mother's chapter and ended up in another house, where she was very happy. I still remember Mama sitting on the girl's bed on Bid Day (she was a local) wailing about how they could do this to HER, when she had been such an active alum and had "washed" so many punch glasses during rush. Not one bit of happiness for her daughter.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

bump for 2011 recruitment!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM

This needs a bump. Realistically look at your desirability in the process. You're awesome, but so is everyone else. Keep that in mind!

Lakers Nation.