GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,672
3 members and 2,669 guests
aamanthalittle3, PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 10-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Regarding who can sue here, I would imagine any individual in these chapters who has been adversely affected, or any of the chapters themselves, potentially house corporations, anyone who has been damaged in terms of income or reputation or even being prevented from hosting a party or having some outside entity like the school restrain them from posting on social media, would probably have standing to sue.

I'd love to see them go after the University, any administrator who was complicit in anything adverse and especially this dumbass Afrikan group. They all need to be made examples of or it could happen to any one of our chapters.

Any of our chapters who have ever been involved in any event where someone showed up with face paint (yes, that is all that happened here) could be in the same position, guilty and damaged until proven innocent. We need to ensure that there are consequences for universities which violate our civil rights and for students or organizations which slander and libel us.

That is exactly what the Oklahoma SAEs are doing right now. I hope they win big. If they do, maybe these bullies will realize that this isn't something they can get away with.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-26-2015, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone have an update? Chiolu, do you know what is happening at this point?

I am afraid that this will just be swept under the rug leaving two greek chapters very deeply bruised and their integrity not supported at all by administration. This has been a hard one for me to let go of because of the absurdity and lack of support for the fraternity and sorority involved. I will, however, let it rest. But if anyone has any follow up information please post.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

File some lawsuits!!! If we don't create consequences for the assholes involved in attacking our chapters, it will happen again and again. If this sort of thing had happened to my chapter, we'd have made it into a literal federal case.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm just going to put this out there.

There are legitimate reasons to protest, but I don't believe in rioting - when you put other people in danger or damage someone else's property/credibility, you no longer are protesting.

Look, I'm a Hispanic guy - third generation. The Hispanic people in this country have been wronged and mistreated for decades, and I've seen some ridiculously bad, poorly-executed Mexican costumes in my day (Halloween, Cinco de Mayo, etc.), but I have never been offended.

Blackface is/was a bad idea, but another bad idea is frightening other people and putting their lives at risk. I'm with Kevin, sue anyone and everyone who organized the protest/riot and anyone who made a death threat.

The university should have called a cease fire and arranged a town hall meeting for all sides to come together and vent their frustration and offer apologies. Instead, it became a mess.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
My issue is not the theme. You can protest the theme. What you can't do is defiantly label a group of people as doing a specific heinous act, publicly shame theme and drag their names through the mud, when there is actually no proof it ever happened (and in fact, abundant proof to the contrary).
After seeing the news about the fake-baby-bump shower for Kim, I think the matter is settled in my mind. Mocking these two is a-okay.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
After seeing the news about the fake-baby-bump shower for Kim, I think the matter is settled in my mind. Mocking these two is a-okay.
Wait, what?
Old 10-27-2015, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Wait, what?

It wasn't even a baby shower, it was a surprise 35th birthday party!! And, yes, Kanye invited guests to stuff things in their shirts in order to look pregnant. The cake read "Happy Pregnant Birthday Kim".

See here: http://www.elle.com/culture/celebrit...irthday-party/

And.......is it just me, or does it look like Kylie Jenner jokingly stuffed her BUTT in this picture?? If so, that would be a bit ironic given the topic of this thread........

True and Constant
Old 10-27-2015, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
I'm just going to put this out there.

There are legitimate reasons to protest, but I don't believe in rioting - when you put other people in danger or damage someone else's property/credibility, you no longer are protesting.

Look, I'm a Hispanic guy - third generation. The Hispanic people in this country have been wronged and mistreated for decades, and I've seen some ridiculously bad, poorly-executed Mexican costumes in my day (Halloween, Cinco de Mayo, etc.), but I have never been offended.

Blackface is/was a bad idea, but another bad idea is frightening other people and putting their lives at risk. I'm with Kevin, sue anyone and everyone who organized the protest/riot and anyone who made a death threat.

The university should have called a cease fire and arranged a town hall meeting for all sides to come together and vent their frustration and offer apologies. Instead, it became a mess.
I completely agree with you, NWguy. Something that was in bad taste and perhaps unwise has spun completely out of control. The reaction is far worse than the offending incident which might not have been offending had it been understood.

Chi Omega
Old 10-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

From the media I've reviewed, it seems some, instead of admitting that this might not be the best cause du jour around, have instead decided to double down. What credibility those individuals and organizations did have is in question now.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll try to get an update.
I do know that (mid-October) members of both groups were not wearing their letters due to death threats.
The CIA and FBI were involved.

Last edited by ChioLu; 10-28-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
How do you know this information?
From someone In-The-Know and a reliable source within the system.
I would not post such information without substance.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

I agree, considering your position, I made the necessary edits and deletions. I apologize if my tone was off-putting.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Good for a laugh if you still have yesterday's newspaper (10/31) is the Mallard Fillmore cartoon strip.

"Halloween Costumes that are Still Okay" #1 "Swiss Person" "(even a stereotypical Swiss Person)" arrow points to goofy looking man in Lederhosen, embellished suspenders, swiss hat. To this Mallard says "Swiss people won't be offended or even care. But MORE importantly...People who are offended for a living won't care either!"
Old 11-01-2015, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

God Damn, PCNess has gotten so out of hand I can hardly stand it! You can't do this, you can't do that, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!

The news media reports only the bad news of Greeks and damn little of the Great we do.

While this is my thinkings, I am sure if others think about it they will become the same of mind.

We as Greeks need to speak out to any and all who will listen to us! We do so much good and because of a few stupid members we get stuck in the he heart of what we believe in!

So, let your voice be heard and do it now! How many Greek Members are there in Congress? Well, a bunch!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-01-2015, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Not that our undergrads always "read" and "abide" ,but at least the message is being sent.

https://www.pikes.org/about-pike/new...themed-parties