GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,983
0 members and 1,983 guests
No Members online

Old 08-14-2013, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Pride and Prejudice Recruitment Story

I made a new account… I am an upperclassman at a southern school. I knew a lot about the sororities before I rushed, but tried to keep an open mind. I knew my grades were not competitive, but I was already affected by what I think y’all call the snowflake syndrome? In my mind I had already written off some chapters because they weren’t “good enough” or cool enough for me. I had recs to every chapter, had worked out, and sharpened my conversation skills. I was golden.
There are 11 sororities on my campus which I will name after my favorite romance: Pride and Prejudice
Charlotte
Mary
Jane
Mrs. Bennet
Lydia
Mr. Darcey
Mr. Collins
Kitty
Mr. Bingley
Mr. Bennet
Elizabeth
Round 1 Day 1: Open House
Today my walking group visited 6 houses. The weather was so nice, I remember not really breaking a sweat until the last 2 houses. We were required to wear a Panhellenic shirt with whatever shorts. I bought some modestly cut white shorts and added lace trim at the bottom. I thought I looked super cute and I got a lot of complements.
[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Elizabeth[/COLOR]: This was my first house, and although I had spent the better part of a year researching sorority recruitment I was unprepared for how much enthusiasm the girls had during their door chant and the volume of the room where we were being rushed! It was so loud I had to get right in my girl’s face! Thank God for Listerine breath strips! *Ashley and *Sarah were really nice, we talked a lot about my volunteer work.
Mary: This house was my favorite even before I came to rush. I loved their symbols and their girls were known on campus for being classy, beautiful and smart. It is also an amazing sorority nationally, especially in the south. I remember walking in that every girl looked so put together and gorgeous! I had two girls to talk to at this house as well, and the conversation flowed so naturally. I was in love. I also had a girl that was in two of my classes last year come up and hug me, so when I left I remember writing: SO NICE, I WANT THEM. Bad to have favorites, I know.
Jane: At this house, it was commonly known that they chose the most beautiful girls to come and greet PNMs, which I did not like. I had a good conversation about my major with the main girl rushing me, but I didn’t feel comfortable. I also made note they did not have many minorities. I was bumped a lot and at one point had 4 people talking to me, but I did my best to engage them all. I would be happy to be invited back because they were a “top” sorority though.
Lydia: This house was good, and the girls were nice. They showed a video on the first day and seemed to have a strong sisterhood. However this sorority did not have ANY minorities. It was stark white, which wasn’t a huge issue (hello this is Panhellenic) but there was a rumor that they simply did not take them, which meant I would not be asked back.
Kitty: *Hannah was a nice girl, but she commented that she was hungry and was a little absent minded. However *Rachel, her big, was super sweet and we had a great conversation about their philanthropy. I loved the physical house and the girls were pretty, but not overly so. I was comfortable there.
Mrs. Bennet: I had a good time at this house. I was bumped, but it felt natural and I talked about atypical topics here. I liked that it wasn’t the standard “what did you do in high school? What is your major?” type questions. I wrote that I felt a good connection here and hoped to be asked back.

Round 1 Day 2
Charlotte: Although they were late opening the doors, this house was another favorite of mine. My rusher was really nice and we talked a lot about books that we loved. I really loved it here.
Mr. Darcey: This was another “top” house, but the girls made me feel so welcome. The girl rushing me was honest and told me that she also rushed as a sophomore, which made me feel hopeful. We talked about EVERYTHING and she seemed so similar to me. I really hoped to get asked back. My camp orientation leader was also in this house.
Mr. Bingley: This house was really great, but didn’t feel homey. My other orientation leader saw me and waved, which was nice. The girls I talked to were very personable.
Mr. Bennet: I didn’t want to like this house because they were known to automatically cut upperclassmen, but my rusher *lila was so. Nice. We were even more similar than at Mr. Darcey, it was crazy. We were both reading the same book, and liked a lot of nerdy type things that I thought was weird for the “top” house on campus. She was also on an exec board that I am going to apply for this year. I really loved her and she spontaneously hugged me on the way out!
Mr. Collins: I ashamed to admit it, but I believed all the tent talk about this being the loser sorority. Don’t throw flames at me, I want to be honest in this story, and let you into the mind of a typical PNM. However I liked this house more than I thought I would, but hoped they wouldn’t invite me back.
After house visits, I saw one of my freshmen buddies that graduated from the same high school as me. The first thing she said was “did you not love Mary?” I knew then that Mary was most likely very very good at rushing PNMs and everyone wanted them back. Sorry this is so long! It is very therapeutic to get it all out.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Love Pride & Predjudice -- can't wait to hear more!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Already loving it!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking forward to hearing more!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Bullseye, please don't leave us hanging!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Pride and Prejudice + Recruitment Story?

Swoon!

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 2: Philantropy
My roommate and I were extremely nervous about cuts because we were both upperclassmen. I remember waking up at 6:00 a.m. and my stomach dropping. I hated that we had to get ready before we got our party schedules, my palms were sweating (NOT normal for me) and I was shaky. When our rho gammas (who I loved) knocked, I ran to open the door and found: I had FIVE parties out of eight! I was super excited, but contained it a little for the sake of my roommate and suitemates, who all had three. Yes, three. I quickly finished getting dressed in a white flowy tank and pink skirt and set off after calling my mom of course . I had back, in order of visits:
1. Elizabeth
2. MR. DARCEY
3. Mr. Collins
4. Kitty
5. Mr. Bingley
I was sad about getting released from my early favorites Mary and Charlotte, but was over the moon that Mr. Darcey wanted me back! They were arguably the top house on campus and made such good grades I was a little surprised. No surprise that Mr. Bennet and Lydia had cut me. As I lined up for Elizabeth, a freshman that had graduated from my high school walked by and said hello. She was on her way to Mary, and that stung a little. I started thinking well maybe if I was a freshman I would be having a full schedule! Looking back I see that was not the case at all. I talked to freshman girl in my walking group that night that had received four houses back
Elizabeth: I liked this house, but still didn’t feel too much. I liked their philanthropy, but the girls did not seem very excited about it. Overall I suppose they were just a very chill house. I talked to a girl that was from the same town as me and she was nice but asked me the same basic questions.
Mr. Darcey: As I was walking to this house, I couldn’t help but notice everyone in line was very put together/gorgeous and the guys at the fraternity house next door kept eyeing us. Can I just mention that my school has some fine looking young men? Anyways I had two rushers here, but felt that they were a little fake. They kept asking if I had questions but never seemed super interested in what I had to say. As I was leaving, the girl seemed to be glad it was over, but claimed she wished we could have talked longer. I wrote that I did not know if I was going to get asked back, but I still loved the house.
Mr. Collins: At this house, I had a super awkward girl. She was very sweet, but visibly nervous. I had to supply almost all of the questions, and had many awkward pauses. However I brought out the nerdy side of myself and she seemed to perk up tremendously. I guess I couldn’t help but have good conversations! I liked their philanthropy; it was a cause very dear to my heart.
Kitty: I liked this house more today, but they had SO MANY GIRLS lined up outside their door! It was like they hadn’t even made cuts! My eye makeup had started to mess up a little and was irritating my eyes; I had to apologize for squinting so much. The girls were all very pretty and put together, their clothes reflected their philanthropy. I wrote that I sort of had a wall in conversation with my rusher, but after finding common ground we had a good conversation. My suitemate from last year was also in this house, but she didn’t rush me or even find me. I didn’t know if this was good or bad.
Mr. Bingley: I LOVED this house today. My rushers started out good, but just got better and better. They were all so excited about their philanthropy and I saw that as a very good sign. The third girl I talked to was the Philanthropy chair and I admit it, I was reading a lot into this.She talked to me over half the time, so I felt hopeful about getting asked back. We had such a great conversation, and after the video they showed, I was in love. I made sure that I told her how great of a time I had. If I wasn’t a Mr. Bingley I was going to be really sad.

After ranking the sororities, which was super easy since we had to maximize our option I just wrote them all down, I talked to my roommate who had also attended Mr. Bingley. She was a legacy, and we were both in love with them. We had a friend who had inside on knowledge (lived with two Mr. Bingley’s) and said that grade cuts had already happened. I thought if they went on conversations as well as recs I should be good. Right? I also talked with another upperclassman on our hall that was a legacy to Mary. I hoped she got them.

Last edited by bullseye; 08-15-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Great story! I'm looking forward to more.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

More please....
Old 08-19-2013, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry this is taking so long everyone; I just had my first day of school and was getting all settled into my new apartment. Glad you like my story.
Day 3: Skit day
As a semi-longtime lurker of Greek chat, I knew that the second round of cuts could be even worse than the first. The wait for our party schedules was unbearable. When the rho gamma handed me mine I opened it to find…

One party. At Mr. Collins. Not even Elizabeth (which was “easier” to get into wanted me?) I was shocked. I could barely even register what I was feeling, maybe partly because I don’t like to cry in front of people. I asked my rho gammas what I should do, pretty sure that I would go to the party’s skit, but drop out of recruitment later on in the day. I was so prepared for recruitment, and had set myself up for this very situation to happen-until it did. I ended up calling my friend who was doing a church internship and drove to church in the morning, got some fast food, and dropped out of recruitment. I just could not “see” myself as a Mr. Collins. I had multiple pity parties and indulged in some retail therapy while my roommate and suitemates still had houses they liked. On pref day, my roommate got cut from the one she really wanted but soldiered on. She was a very sweet girl. One of my suitemates got cut from her legacy, Mary, and had Mr. Collins as well. She withdrew from recruitment.
Fast forward to bid day…I was in Target getting some last minute things for my new place, when I got a phone call. I have to admit that I was still holding out hope that some houses did not meet quota and would offer me a snap bid. However there was a record number of girls going through rush, so it was doubtful. I had my heart set on doing well in school and participating in spring rush. The girl on the phone introduced herself as the recruitment chair of…Mr. Collins. They wanted me to come to their bid day! I was still really unsure, but decided to go. I met the girls but told them I would go home and think about it, and they were very understanding. Was this really the place for me? With the help of some of my rec letter ladies and my father, who helped me see past the recruitment bubble of top houses, pretty faces, and general fakeness, I went to Mr. Collin’s bid day party and formally accepted my bid. I am now a proud member of…

Mr. Collins, as known as...

Alpha Gamma Delta!!!!

My house is a little bit more laid back, but in reality so I am! They are the kind of people that are real and down to earth. And most importantly they chose me to share their sisterhood with. I will forever be grateful, and am falling more in love every day! I only wished now that I swallowed my pride and attending their skit and pref party and truly seen everything they had to offer. Guess I will have to wait for next year
Old 08-19-2013, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to you and AGD! I'm thrilled for you that you managed to move past the tent talk and hurt feelings from recruitment and give your chapter a chance to show you who they really are!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

wonderful story... AGD got a great sister in you <3

ΔΔΔ

$15 Million in 5 Years for St. Jude
Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for telling your story, Bullseye! I'm just a Jane Austen fool, can't wait for "Austenland."
Old 08-19-2013, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

GOOD FOR YOU! So proud that you were finally able to get past the tent talk. AGD is an outstanding sorority. I know you will love your sisterhood!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations!! Thank you for sharing your story with us.