GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,325
0 members and 2,325 guests
No Members online

Old 06-25-2007, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, everyone in my chapter loved to be the obnoxious pnm during conversation practice...we would have epidemics of everyone playing "THAT" pnm to the point that the membership chair would have to stop everything and announce that some sisters had to be nice, normal pnms!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2007, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Hahhaa, yes, this was a frequent occurrence at our chapter, too. haha
Old 06-25-2007, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmd1014 View Post
Now she's heartbroken and wondering whether she should turn in her badge. (Another active has already resigned.)
It sounds like it is not just this one girl but at least two, if not more. But i would agree that before coming to a conclusion I would like to know the whole story. To some degree it sounds like this girl could have decided that weight was an issue, when it could have been numerous issues. We just don't know.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I'll freely raise my hand and say I'm not a rusher. I HATE everything that comes with rushing. So what do/did I do? The computer stuff. It worked because they talked to me and it fit both the needs of our chapter (I'd have been really really awkward rushing girls) and my needs.

But you don't just say "fat girl, stay out of the room"
That said there may indeed be more to this story. But I'm only working on what was posted.

HEY! That was me too! I'm a terrific conversationalist with people I know and am comfortable with. I tend to withdraw and get shy around those I don't know. I knew going into my first and all later subsequent recruitments that my strengths lay not in conversation but in making things easier for the other girls so I would help with the computer stuff or help the alums with setting up food, decorations, etc.

And like you stated, no one ever told my size 12 ass to hide b/c they were embarrassed by me. I chose to work behind the scenes rather in front of them. It sounds like this girl wasn't given the opportunity.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
I chose to work behind the scenes rather in front of them. It sounds like this girl wasn't given the opportunity.
I agree with you here, unfortunately, some chapters don't offer a whole lot of "behind the scenes" kind of jobs. As someone mentioned earlier, some chapters are so small that the only people they can afford to have in the background are the sisters that are running the show, like the Membership Chair. That is where situations like this arise, usually.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
You're an idiot. This young lady can be mature about it and stick up for her feelings. Why should she have to just shrug behind the scenes to be mature? This is the most shallow post I've ever read on GC.

Wow. I actually agree with this post.
Thank You and You are appreciated with Your Post!

High, I am Tom and I am your New Pledge Instructor, and You do not fit with us!

So, all I can say is Goodby!

I hate to do this! See Ya!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-25-2007, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I have to go with AnchorAlumna and FanASTic on this one. First, we haven't heard the whole story. The woman's overweight but she could be a total jerk and maybe she dropped through the cracks and got a bid in a weird way. Don't laugh, I've even seen it happen to competitive sororities--these girls are called slip-throughs. Now if it is only because she's overweight, that's mean.
Is that because your daughters join only the BEST sororities?

Quote:
The other thing is, as AnchorAlum says: teenagers (ie, PNMs) are often very shallow. You know how many times people have said on here that they didn't want of be part of the fat-girl sorority. I suupose that's where her group is coming from. I saw a sorority's page in a rush booklet a few years back and it displayed a picture of the last year's pledge class; over half were extremely overweight. I told my husband that that sorority had probably just signed their death warrant and sure enough, they were gone in no time.

No, I'm not saying that what this sorority did was right. I'm just trying to figure out where they're coming from..but I have to wonder if we've heard the whole story.
This statement from you doesn't surprise me, because when it comes to rush you are pretty shallow.

KLTC
Old 06-25-2007, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
This statement from you doesn't surprise me, because when it comes to rush you are pretty shallow.
Sorry to break it to you, but RUSH is shallow. If it wasn't, we could wear whatever we wanted, not wash our hair or put on makeup, and have rush parties in abandoned warehouses and still get the same turnout.

That being said, I stand by my previous statements on this issue.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I would think they could strike a compromise and let the girl do behind the scenes things for the first two or so rounds, but then let her attend prefs, as the "first impressions" stage would be over.
Ding ding ding. I think this is the answer!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but RUSH is shallow. If it wasn't, we could wear whatever we wanted, not wash our hair or put on makeup, and have rush parties in abandoned warehouses and still get the same turnout.

There's a difference between putting your best self forward and telling a sister her best self isn't good enough (although it was good enough to give her a bid and collect her dues).
Old 06-25-2007, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

You don't want to get involved in that fight.

That said, I know recruitment is shallow. It's based off of really quick impresions and connections with girls. The assumption that a heavy girl will turn off PNMs is offensive. And this girl is your sister. Are you going to take those "shallow" PNMS and pretend like the heavy girl isn't your sister until initiation? After? Any girl who would go "ugh she's heavy I don't want to be a sister with any of the girls in this room because she's heavy" should NOT be given a bid.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl + Drolefille:

I agree. I believe I stated this earlier in the thread; it IS wrong to discriminate against somebody based on their physical appearance, especially over something like this.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Actually, National Panhellenic is moving away from Recruitment "parties," meaning that it will be a lot less shallow, and primarily only based on conversation, as opposed to the glitz of decorations, make up, and skits. In the next few years, they just might be holding recruitment events in "warehouses," so to speak, because they won't be allowed to show off; they will only be able to have conversations with PNMs. Of course, this will be difficult for chapters to transition into, but it could be beneficial in the long run for the Greek System.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathykd2005 View Post
Actually, National Panhellenic is moving away from Recruitment "parties," meaning that it will be a lot less shallow, and primarily only based on conversation, as opposed to the glitz of decorations, make up, and skits. In the next few years, they just might be holding recruitment events in "warehouses," so to speak, because they won't be allowed to show off; they will only be able to have conversations with PNMs. Of course, this will be difficult for chapters to transition into, but it could be beneficial in the long run for the Greek System.
How is a lack of decorations going to stop PNM's from thinking "ABC is the fat sorority, I don't want to go there?"
Old 06-25-2007, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
How is a lack of decorations going to stop PNM's from thinking "ABC is the fat sorority, I don't want to go there?"
It might not make them think that, but they won't be looking at all of the skits and well-dressed ladies and thinking, this is where I want to be because they are all so super pretty and obviously have TONS of money. And if they think THIS IS A FAT SORORITY, then they are obviously idiots.