GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,285
2 members and 2,283 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 07-28-2003, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Alumni Chapter Questions:

After founding a new undergrad chapter and graduating, we new alums are forming an alumni chapter. There are many questions that we're asking ourselves at this point. I thought I'd turn to ya'll and ask what happens in your alum chapters.

1. What are your dues?

2. What does the alumni/ae chapter do (specifically)?

3. How often do you meet?

4. How much do you associate with the undergrad chapter?

If you have anything else to say, I'd be glad to listen.

Thanks in advance.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-28-2003, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

KTsnake

I might be able to help you with this. Most important point is that alumni (an alumnus) should run the alumni program start to finish. It's just not within the experience or range of concentration of even the best undergrads to do so. Alumni must do the communicating - send a newsletter or maintain a website - and alumni must orchestrate all functions. If you are meeting in the town where the chapter is located, then undergrad officers and leaders will be flattered to be invited and should be encouraged.
These questions are impotant and will help determine the right apporoach: 1) are you proposing an association of all chapter alumni, or an association of just alumni in a specific town? 2) Is that town the same one or close to where the chapter is located? 3) Are you interested in an association of all Sigma Nu alumni or primarily just the ones from your chapter?
Your national offcie can tell you if there is already an association of the General Fraternity in your town.
Here's what works: 1) keep in touch with your guys via e-mail. Set up a central 'gate-keeper' who will maintain the network, and who will not give out anyone's email address unless authorized. Trust me, some moron will send a universal message with dirty jokes or political messages out, and some of your guys will ask to be taken out of the loop. All messages out must be controlled from one source.
2) Hold a lunch on the first Wednesday of every month (or some other workable formula). Do not ever change the time or location. Let me say that again: do not ever change the time or location. And send out a reminder a few days out each month. No program, just Brotherhood. Everyone pays his own lunch tab.
3) Dues should be voluntary and no one should be shut out. If you're young then you may not have the financial flexibility. If older Sigma Nus are involved, go to them for contributions to specific events. There are guys who like to play the role of bankroller. voluntary dues should not be more than $50/year, and $25 is probably better. If you want, create a special elite contributor group of $100/year guys. Use the fraternity symbolism to create a name.
If you want to discuss it further let me know. Good luck to you.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

i just became the president of my chapter's alum association which is only for people from our chapter. i just finished a fabulous newsletter (if i do say so myself!) and have a few suggestions on how to get involved.

1. regular newsletters to the alums. be sure to include a section for people to fill out news and change of info...and let them know when the next one will be out. at least a general idea. i said that all news sent in by oct. 1st would be included in the next issue to give you an example.

2. in phi mu, we have chapter associations (all alums from same chapter) and alum chapters (alums in a certain area, not necessarily from same chapter). for our ca, we are asking for $10 donations to pay for the newsletter and mailing costs. depending on how much money we have, we may donate something (like the new edition of the history book or purchase gifts for the new phis) to the collegiates. our alum chapter dues range from $15-$50 depending on the chapter.

3. everyone receives the newsletter regardless if they have sent a donation. you can give donors some incentive...like all donors will get color copies or a directory of current addresses.

4. get a listserve together. we have one on yahoogroups. it has both collegiates and alums which is great. plus, the collegiate chapter secretary has her own special address, so she can always send out little notes about things happening in the chapter!

5. use of the alums: some of us are advisors, but you may not want to advise a chapter if you just graduated. last year, we collected a basket full of items to help relieve some stress during rush week and we wrote letters to all of the collegiates to get them excited for the new year. in addition to those, this year, we are also going to write letters to the new phis! we also have alum chums- seniors are paired with an alum to help them enter the world of alumnae. oh, and we also plan a reunion in conjunction with the collegiates. it is basically during homecoming. the chapter provides food...alums provide refreshments and it is just a great way to meet casually!

i will let you know if i think of anything else! good luck!
Old 07-28-2003, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Dang, I guess that about sums it all up for you Kev!

At present, we are not asking for Alum Dues as trying to get money for a new house. # 1 prioriety for us. Maybe down the road!

At present, I send out or pass along on the email address book info. If we do a mailing, some of us kick in Money to defray costs.

We try to meet the 3 rd Tues. at a local pub, have a golf tournyment yearly, last week a bunch went to the T-Bones Game, Some tailgate at all of the School games.

Many different things depending on teh area we are in.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-28-2003, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Alumni Chapter Questions:

1. What are your dues? $38.50 per year

$17.50 goes to national office and the remaining $18.00 stays within the chapter for programs

2. What does the alumni/ae chapter do (specifically)?

We do a whole lot, actually. We plan a program every month Sept thru June. We meet in an alumna's home for meeting and then the program. Many are on women's health, our foundation for service for sight, craft events, financial advisors give speeches, Maya Works etc. See our website for more details:

here

3. How often do you meet?

Monthly Sept thru June

4. How much do you associate with the undergrad chapter?

None since we are over an hour away

Also, we send out a newsletter semi-annually, participate in area panhellenic activities etc etc. Pretty busy schedule. Next week were are stuffing over 500 envelopes for our mailing. I should mention that DG has different types of alumnae groups depending on their size. You can only be considered an alumnae "chapter" if you are over 20 people in size (I can't recall off hand). Chapters I believe get to vote at convention but the others cannot. Also, we pay to send our president to the national convention every other year.

Marie