GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,346
1 members and 2,345 guests
naraht

Old 01-03-2019, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Sorority book series - help needed!

Hey everyone,

Some of you may remember my Brookline University book series which was for sale for the past ten years. Writing it got me so interested in sororities I joined one (In November it'll be 15 years ... I cannot BELIEVE that.)

I have decided to rewrite the series from top to bottom this year. I'm still keeping it set in the 1989-1993 time period, but I want to make it more realistic and not quite as silly as it was at times. I wrote and released two prequels this year that were different in tone and I really preferred them and wanted the main series to match them more.

If you read the original series and remember anything from it, I'd love some feedback on what you liked, hated, thought was cheesy, what should be different etc.

I've got a blog post about it where you can leave comments https://authorjennifersamson.wordpre...rsity-rewrite/ or you can PM me here or use the contact tab on my website.

If you do comment, be sure to leave a name - I'd like to credit everyone in the rewritten book who helps out with comments.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jen; 01-03-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spacing was psycho
Old 01-04-2019, 07:41 PM

PM sent!
Old 08-15-2019, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Help!

I'm having a difficult time deciding what to do about the series title. The former series was 4 books, set in college and the series title was Brookline University (as were most of the books ... let's say titles are not my strong suit lol). I then (briefly) published two prequels under the series title Streetwise, although they were directly before Brookline so totally related. I had no idea what I was going to do with the planned sequel.

But now it's a 7 book series, starting with the prequels, which don't start in college (first book is 13-16, second is 16-18, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th in college and 7th about 5 years later).

So I'm having a dilemma about the series titling because if new readers see Brookline University and that doesn't show up until book 3, it may turn readers off. But, for people who knew it previously, it's how they know it.

So to that end, a poll, because I love polls.

https://forms.gle/k6ee88kHLZD2Gh8N8

It's a coming of age series, most of it focusing on the characters and their struggle through foster care, then adjusting to college and a more normal life.

Titles are hard, people.

Last edited by Jen; 08-15-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spaces. again. wtf.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I voted for Brookline University, but I am having second thoughts.

Is it possible to call it just Brookline? Or consider the first two like "Road to Brookline" or "Prequel to Brookline" or something.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Being new, I haven't read the series but it sounds interesting. I was wondering the other day why every story/TV show/movie etc. about sororities involves a horror plot or girls gone wild. So, as for naming the stories, my feedback is to call the first book "Before Brookline [insert basic plot phrase]" for each of the first two books and "After Brookline" for the final installment.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I like that option ... Before Brookline ... Brookline University ... After Brookline.

There's also the possibility of using those as subtitles and then a series name for the entire series. (And Goodreads will let me add more than one series name which is nice ...).

So many possibilities. Thanks for the feedback, it's helping!

Old 08-18-2019, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Help!

I'm having a difficult time deciding what to do about the series title. The former series was 4 books, set in college and the series title was Brookline University (as were most of the books ... let's say titles are not my strong suit lol). I then (briefly) published two prequels under the series title Streetwise, although they were directly before Brookline so totally related. I had no idea what I was going to do with the planned sequel.

But now it's a 7 book series, starting with the prequels, which don't start in college (first book is 13-16, second is 16-18, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th in college and 7th about 5 years later).

So I'm having a dilemma about the series titling because if new readers see Brookline University and that doesn't show up until book 3, it may turn readers off. But, for people who knew it previously, it's how they know it.
Ok.....so if I understand correctly, you have: Streetwise, Streetwise, Brookline University, Brookline University, Brookline University, and Brookline University. You are now working on the 7th book, the sequel. You are looking for feedback on how to pull all seven books in the series together. Is that correct?

My opinion probably means little; but, since I'm not a writer and have no background in publishing, it may help to have the perspective of a random, casual reader. I did read Brookline University. Just looking at the titles, I don't naturally draw a nexus between "Streetwise" and "Brookline University". As far as I know, those are totally separate books/series with completely different characters and are unrelated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Is it possible to call it just Brookline? Or consider the first two like "Road to Brookline" or "Prequel to Brookline" or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
There's also the possibility of using those as subtitles and then a series name for the entire series.

For me, it seems like you should kind of be in this area. I strongly associate your writing in this series with Brookline University. So, something like "Streetwise - A prequel to Brookline University" or something like that might work. Again, I have no professional background in this, but Brookline seems like it should be in there somewhere. I'm not sure if they can *all* be called "Brookline University" regardless of the time period in which the plot takes place, but Sen's suggestions seem to be a good compromise.

True and Constant
Old 08-18-2019, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

You are very right that there's no connection with the Streetwise title.

I think a "Brookline" as an overarching title could work (for instance, as a title on my website) and divide the series into separate series for Before, University and After (so they'd show up on Amazon etc as different series).

I need to research about how they deal with subtitles on the various storefronts because "a Brookline book" could help tie them together or something.

Thanks so much for the input. Everything is helping sort out my confusion.