GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,877
3 members and 2,874 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034

Old 08-15-2007, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful_Bubbles View Post
Aww, what a great story! You actually make pies? My stomach is very interested in this I Eta Pi...
Yes, I actually do make pies.

The only problem is that Opinionated is SURE she wants apple, Unpredictable THINKS that sounds great until she realizes that peaches are in season and Determined has gone to the store, bought the ingredients and PLANS for me to make pecan, her personal favorite!!

Last edited by IHPiPrez; 08-15-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-15-2007, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU Maman View Post

I was on the edge of my seat, had tears in my eyes, and was smiling as I read your saga. You have a wonderful writing style. Maybe you should think about writing for $.
I second that one!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I am super sorry that greek life wasn't for your daughters. But, I commend you for not being pushy and letting them make their own decisions about it. Most moms would have forced their daughters to go through recruitment and accept a bid and follow through with the pledging process.

And, the IHPi is pretty awesome for a family greek group.

Great story!!! Thank you for sharing!
The above does not reflect the personal opinions of ΣΣΣMagan. It in no way reflects the opinions of the Eta Rho chaper at Armstrong Atlantic State Univeristy of Sigma Sigma Sigma or National Panhellenic Conference.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

SUCH a cute story!!!!!!!!! i really enjoyed reading..

mmm pie!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

That is the cutest thing I have ever heard! I Eta Pi! So where is this "University of Red Brick Sidewalks and Towering Oaks"?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Now I'm going to want regular updates. I'll bet all 3 of these gals have interesting lives!

Old 08-16-2007, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

That you so much for this story!

As the days approach for my daughter to begin recruitment, I find myself getting more and more drawn into the process. Just today, I was telling the hubby that I thought I was beginning to want this more than her. I even found myself in the AI thread!!!

Do all PNM Moms start to get a little nutty?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
That is the cutest thing I have ever heard! I Eta Pi! So where is this "University of Red Brick Sidewalks and Towering Oaks"?
Since Daughter #2 and Daughter #3 still attend the University and Daugther #1 is a recent grad, I don't want to name names. Suffice it to say that my description could be about many of the BEAUTIFUL campuses that exist between Georgia and Maryland.

I hope all of you who are lucky enough to attended one of these schools LOVES every minute of it!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMummy View Post
That you so much for this story!

As the days approach for my daughter to begin recruitment, I find myself getting more and more drawn into the process. Just today, I was telling the hubby that I thought I was beginning to want this more than her. I even found myself in the AI thread!!!

Do all PNM Moms start to get a little nutty?
How could we NOT get more than a little nutty? After all, we are MOM. It's up to us to make sure our kids are never hurt or disappointed, isn't it? DAD may be about "letting the chips fall where they may" but MOM definately isn't!!

It's so HARD for Moms (and most of all I mean ME) to transform from a "parenting" role to an "advising" role. You mean I have to LET her make a mistake with a downside I can see coming from miles away??? You mean I can't TELL her the guy she's so taken with is COMPLETELY wrong for her??? Yes, that's exactly what I mean. It sure was easier when they were 2, 4 and 6. In those days MOM ruled and all had to bow to her wisdom!!

I hope your daughter has a wonderful time during rush and finds her Greek home at FSU. I promise that the NUTTINESS of rush will soon pass (and be immediately replaced with new nuttiness as is the lot of all MOMS everywhere).
Old 08-16-2007, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much to all of you who posted replies or PMd me that you enjoyed my Tale! Even though my dream of a daughter who wears Greek letters didn’t come true (at least not in the usual way) I don’t believe that our dreams ever really die. The ones we hold most dear travel with us, always changing and adapting to fit our current circumstances. In that spirit, I offer you one last (and future) chapter of the Tale of 3 Daughters……..

Some number of years from now, I’m walking through a campus with red brick sidewalks, under the towering oaks, past old red brick buildings holding the hand of my oldest Granddaughter. (Hey! You there! I can SEE you laughing. Please stop IMMEDIATELY!! This is MY dream and I’m allowed to dream up as MANY future pledges, I mean Granddaughters as I want!!).

As we walk along, a student is walking toward us. After she passes by, Granddaughter says “Grams, what were those WEIRD letters on that girl’s tee?”

“Those were Greek Letters” I will reply.

‘But what did they mean?” she’ll ask.

“They mean that girl is the member of a sorority here at the “University of Red Brick Sidewalks and Towering Oaks.”

Puzzled she asks, “A sorority? What’s that??”

“Well,” I say “ a sorority is a group of girls who get together and do wonderful things for their school and community. While they’re doing these things, they have fun and become lifelong sisters.”

“Were you in a sorority when you went to school here?” Granddaughter asks.

“No, I wasn’t, but I always dreamed I would be.”

“If you dreamed it, why didn’t you just MAKE it come true?? I ALWAYS dreamed that Mom and Dad would take me to Disney World and you DO remember where we went this summer on vacation, don’t you???”

“Yes, I remember. You may be a bit too young to understand this, but sometimes our dreams don’t come true or at least not right away or exactly how we dreamed them. When you’re older, I’ll tell you a story about sororities. It’s a story about me and your Mom and both your Aunts.”

At this point Granddaughter drops my hand and faces me with both hands on her hips. “Grams, I’m old enough to understand LOTS of things and I want you to tell me the story NOW!!”

Thinking how much she reminds me of my 3 Daughters at her age, I take her hand and as we walk away say “OK, Impatient, if you insist. Did I ever ever tell you I grew up in Florida?”
Old 08-16-2007, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Best thread ever and I loved the "sequel" as well!!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

This is the best rush thread ever! I loved the story, loved the writing and you made me laugh...and cry! And noone ever even joined a sorority in the end...and yet, everyone seems to be living happily ever after. There's a lesson there...
Old 08-16-2007, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm crying--again!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anygreekmom View Post
This is the best rush thread ever! I loved the story, loved the writing and you made me laugh...and cry! And noone ever even joined a sorority in the end...and yet, everyone seems to be living happily ever after. There's a lesson there...
ditto ditto ditto!

great thread. and now i'm hungry for pie!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anygreekmom View Post
I definitely agree!! I loved this thread and love your attitude.