GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,268
0 members and 2,268 guests
No Members online

Old 05-03-2001, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lots-a-Heart
Post Academic help

Hey everyone!
I have a question about academics and Greek life. I think most (if not all Greeks) have a standard minimum GPA requirement. Now, do any organizations have a tutor or mentor program to help those struggaling with a class? Or anything like that? Thanks!

------------------
Sarah
Sister Lots-a-Heart, #9
President, Iota Beta Chi Sorority
http://welcome.to/iotabetachi
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-04-2001, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

We didn't have mentors or tutors or anything like that. But we did keep files on each professor. Girls who had taken a class saved their notes, papers, tests, etc. and they were all filed away under the professor's name. That way, anyone who was getting ready to take a class could check out the file and see how difficult it was and what type of work was required to do well in it. We found that to be very helpful.

Also, many times, girls would have classes together and would form study groups to help each other learn.
Old 05-09-2001, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

We dont have like an official tutor program, but if you need help there are usually a few people around who have at least taken the class before who are more than willing to help out. Also we do have class files on most profs, so that helps alot as well.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
Our chapter maintains a list of all the majors of the guys in the fraternity, that way if someone is struggling in say, Spanish, we get the Spanish major to help them out. We also hold regular study hours in library every week, so this gives the guys an opportunity to study together, and if they have questions, get help right then and there.

Ct
Scholarship Chair: Tau Kappa Epsilon
Mu Omega Chapter GMU
Old 06-24-2001, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Our GPA got raised to a 2.5, and after a few semesters of probation I got put on temporary alumni status. I'm so glad they did that because I've raised my GPA so much, not only for the sorority but for myself. Without the sorority I wouldnt have cared.
Old 06-25-2001, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
We have Hooter Tutors (remember the owl is out mascot "hoot hoot") A hooter tutor is a person in your major or in a similar major. It's up to each pair on how much they work together. Some girls, like my hooter tutor, kept her notes,& grad school guides& made a list of good classes & profs to take. She did a great job, I am unbeleivably thankful to her. Hopefully we get someone who can use this stuff after me. I'm all alone now, the only psych major
Heidi
Old 07-25-2001, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Pi Kappa Phi nationals runs an academic coaching program. Every chapter has a prof at their school who is their academic coach. They help with tutoring, scheduling classes, graduating on time, etc. I think that's a great idea, and more GLO's should get a program like that. (BTW, the coach isn't necessarily an alum of the fraternity, and it is a paid position.)
Old 07-25-2001, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

We have an academic chair to whom you submit your gpa to every semester. If you marks go down she sits and has a talk with you, and offers time managment skills, or who in your chapter might be able to help you, she guides you to where you can get help at the university and helps you set goals if you slip up. It really is a great service the fraternity offers, considering balancing school, work and a fraternity life is not always easy.. there is always someone who understands!
Old 08-08-2001, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Lots-a-Heart
Smile

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my topic. At the last sorority meeting (we are a local so yes, we have the occasional meeting in the summer) it was agreed upon that we should have an academic Chair. As a sister who has had more than her share of problems in University I am so excited that we will be doing this! I will be discussing the actual position tomm and taking all of your posts with me. If anyone has anything AT ALL that they would like to add, myself and chapter would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks again guys!

------------------
Sarah
Sister Lots-a-Heart, #9
Iota Beta Chi Sorority
http://welcome.to/iotabetachi
Old 08-09-2001, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

We have an academic chair, High Sigma. For those on probation and suspension, we have "Brother's Keepers" a guy in their major who helps them study, makes sure they're getting their work done, doing better on tests, etc. If the brother on prob. or suspension gets a good score on a test or project, the brother's keeper will announce it in chapter.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.