GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,565
2 members and 2,563 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-17-2004, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow rushing as a freshman

i was wondering if i should rush next year as a freshman or wait until my sophomore year. if i rush during my freshman year would i be required to live in a sorority house? are underclassmen even allowed to live in the houses? or does that alter from chapter to chapter?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-17-2004, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
A lot of that varies from school to school and chapter to chapter.

At some schools, if you don't rush freshman year, you'll have a very difficult time getting a bid. At others, they have deferred recruitment so you can't rush until second semester of your freshman year anyway.

I personally think rushing as a freshman is a good way to meet new people and gets you involved in something worthwhile. Many times, new member's grades are better than the freshman average.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 09-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

rushing as freshman

to answer the housing question, that too depends on the campus. if your campus has greek housing, at some point in your membership you will probably be expected to live in the house. usually new members would not be expected to live in immediately, because they already have a years obligation to live somewhere else(dorm or apartment). if your campus has sororities with huge numbers of members, it might be difficult to win a space in the house. usually spaces are based on seniority , points and grades, with the girls who have been members longer having first dibs on living in or out of the house and it trickles down from there. houses do have to be filled however, which is why i said that you might at some point be required to live in. i lived in the house for three years;well, actually four years because my dorm roommate and i didn't get along and my big sis stayed at her boyfriends a lot, and i absolutely loved every minute of it. the way i look at it is this: you only have one time in your life where you can live in a sorority house, you can live in an apartment the rest of your life. being in the sorority house lets you be where the action is!!