GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 1,964
0 members and 1,964 guests
No Members online

Old 11-29-2003, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by russellwarshay
You should try ales, lagers, wheat beers, etc. Eventually, you'll find something that you like.
The only beer I've ever come close to liking is Amber Bock...it's tolerable. I like Guinness, too, but that's not beer. Do you have any favorites?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-29-2003, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
The only beer I've ever come close to liking is Amber Bock...it's tolerable. I like Guinness, too, but that's not beer. Do you have any favorites?
We have similar tastes, and Guiness is considered beer; it is a stout ale.
I love Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale.
Also, Heinekin Dark Special is very, very good.

Your tastes are for darker beers, which means that will probably not like pilsners or wheat beers. Stick with ales, lagers and porters, perferably darker varieties.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I'm not a beer drinker at all....but at least I don't feel stupid because most of us drink mixed drinks. It only sucks at mixers, when the guy laod up a bathtub of beer and buy some cheap hard stuff and almost everyone but me drinks. THe only thing I like are mixed drinks.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 11-30-2003, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by russellwarshay
We have similar tastes, and Guiness is considered beer; it is a stout ale.
I love Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale.
Also, Heinekin Dark Special is very, very good.

Your tastes are for darker beers, which means that will probably not like pilsners or wheat beers. Stick with ales, lagers and porters, perferably darker varieties.
If you like dark beers, try Spaten Optimator.

Great stuff.

My favorite.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-30-2003, 05:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
If you like dark beers, try Spaten Optimator.

Great stuff.

My favorite.
That is a great beer, if you can find it. Strong too.
The Ginger Man has it on tap.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Some "different" beers that you might want to try, these all taste more like other things, and so maybe the different tastes will appeal to you.

Pete's Strawberry Blonde: has a pleasent Strawberry initial taste, and pretty sweet.

Mocha Java Stout: strong black coffee and choclate taste

Mocha Porter: more choclatety than the the Stout.

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat: tastes like what I imagine dropping a ludens wild cherry cough drop into a normal beer would taste like. Very nice, mellow cherry taste.

ETA: Yes, all girls drink for free at any parties thrown by fraternities or fraternity members here at Nebraska. In fact I'm willing to bet that most parties in general allow chicks to drink for free here in Lincoln, no matter who is throwing them. The chapters do it since all the other chapters do it, and any party that charges girls, is likely to have significantly fewer girls than might otherwise be there, even if the charge is only a couple of bucks. The GDI parties have to make it free, because the girls can go drink for free at the fraternity parties, and there are likely to be far more boys at a fraternity party. I guess the money the girls save in their first 2 years, they use at the bars during their last 2 or so years.

Last edited by Betarulz!; 11-30-2003 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:26 PM

I don't know how large a distribution area it has...but if you can find Yuengling, try Lord Chesterfield Ale. Lord Chesterfield is my new boyfriend.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kgb
A tradition that goes to the time when Rome beat and killed students, Athens said they would send no more educators, Rome said get bent, but in a short time Rome account where so screwed up, the beg Athens to reconsider. No. yes, fight then Rome state that by the law of Rome that all faculty, and student would be unharmed by the police in those what ever they where called, would be brought to trail by the law of Rome, Greece the designed a special vase call the peoria. Were the two handle on opposite side that the hand of the roman. Reaching across to the far side and the Athenian like wise, drank the first hazing on campus. It that tradition, between the person reaching the legal age of self independent, with mentality. The brings the bourbon. Gin, and other such goodies, to one life. The morning after. yo

and dear sweet old period, came forth.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, it's been a long time...I'm not a beer drinker unless I'm really desperate, and most of the time it's beer at the parties, unless you know the right guys ...The fraternities at Vanderbilt usually have liquor for their big parties, however. Oh, and Beta even had an ice sculpture for their Playboy party that they poured vodka down and then you put mouth at the bottom and let it drip in...However, when it's going to be a beer night it's not a big deal b/c that's why you go to dorm parties, for the punch and shots!!
From my experience, dark beers with more bite are better if you're not a big beer drinker...Frambozen, which is imported, is an excellent raspberry flavored beer. It actually tastes more like raspberries than beer. I would also advise to never drink St. Pauli Girl if you don't like typical beer because I think it has a nasty aftertaste. It's like drinking Natty Light to me. Oh, and Dixie Blackened Voodoo is a good dark(really dark) beer. Another thing is that any lighter beer can taste better with some lime in it, at least in my opinion.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaPi@UofA
here at Arizona, we have a Gamma policy that doesnt allow us to serve anything in an open cup. Of course not all the houses follow the rules as strictly as they are written... but we just adopted a change allowing us to serve wine coolers in plastic bottles at our registered events. Of course now.. Since we're poor college students beer and wine coolers is gonna be the best we can supply with the restictions in play.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kgb
You must understand, beer is a good thing here,but if I didn't get some to help drik it up, it might go to waste. and would be not nice.

the one sneakers would surely stick to the floor.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXPGoBot
just to chime in...

Over here in Jersey, we usually have Miller Lite as our main generic all-you-can-have for one low price deal. We then offer Mike's Hard and Coronas as an alternative for those taht want to spend a little more and get a little more. Test tube shots are also a great crowd pleaser because a) they're cheap, and when you sell them for a dollar each you're basicially doubling what you paid for them, b) they taste good to chicks, and if the chicks are happy the boys are happy and everyone's happy, and 3) they're weak as hell, but most beer zombies are dumb, and will think they're getting a shot and you don't have to worry about them getting too drunk because I haven't heard of anyone being put over their limit by them. You'll never hear "oooooo man.... I shouldn't have had that last test tube last night!" from anyone the next morning. Ever.

And as a side note about the mixed drink things. We used to do that a few years ago at parties. We had a dollar-drink bar w/ things like screwdrives, mudslides, gingertini (and invention of our own), "Rowan Iced Tea," etc. The people LOVED it but we usually ended up losing money on the deal (even though the shit was way watered down we had our tricks so they couldn't tell). But line is that it's too much of a hassle, too risky, and not profitable enough unless you overcharge, which sort've breaks down the whole system. Best of luck to any who are thinking of trying this, I could offer some practical advise if you want.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay this is not meant to sound rude but I had no idea we had a Sigam Pi at UA. I asked my boyfriend about it (he's a Phi Psi here) and he said that they did well in rush so congrats SigmaPi@UA. And he's right about GAMMA rules though I have never been to a party that followed the rules (and here I am a senior, I've been to a lot of parties). Most parties have just beer but I've been to a number, usually the larger, annual ones, that serve mixed drinks and shots.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaPi@UofA
Quote:
Originally posted by AXWhoah
Okay this is not meant to sound rude but I had no idea we had a Sigam Pi at UA. I asked my boyfriend about it (he's a Phi Psi here) and he said that they did well in rush so congrats SigmaPi@UA. And he's right about GAMMA rules though I have never been to a party that followed the rules (and here I am a senior, I've been to a lot of parties). Most parties have just beer but I've been to a number, usually the larger, annual ones, that serve mixed drinks and shots.
thanks AXWhoah.. actually.. this is Sigma Pi's first semester at U of A, we've done so well that we have already been granted full membership to IFC, and received our recognition from the school. I hope i dont sound like im stepping on your boyfriends toes cuz by all means i dont mean to, but maybe we'll do a mixer with AX next semester and i'll get a chance to put a face with your handle.

Take it easy and good luck on your finals

James
Old 12-11-2003, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

attention

the bad side to jungle juice is that now adays stupid people are everywhere. you never know when someone might slip some sort of drug in there trying to be a moron. if that happens the fraternity could get blamed so unless you trust everyone in your party its a big risk. its harder to "spike" a keg. but you still have to watch your cups. but on the other hand, if you want a good recipe. try everclear punch, its a bottle or two of everclear and a whole lot of coolade and then try some hawiian punch instead of water. put tropical punch and cherry and if you would like put a little fruit in there. the fruit soaks up the alcohol and then you eat it.