GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,412
2 members and 1,410 guests
Xidelt, znathanhulzeo24

Old 02-03-2004, 06:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
anonymous

is it really anonymous to report hazing and how does it work?? I keep thinking of the show 21 jump street where they had young looking people pretend to be one of the students or whatever and they would catch the druggies, etc. Why doesnt the university have something like that???

Last edited by BabyP; 02-03-2004 at 06:49 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

In many cases, the university would rather not know anything about it. Once they do catch wind of hazing, however, they seem to take (in their minds) decisive action. Organizations do a decent job of policing themselves. If you haze, eventually one of your hazees is going to get pissed and place a call to your HQ. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but eventually, it will happen.

Once that happens, your chapter is going to go through some tough times.

It's not worth it.

Universities have more important things to worry about though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-03-2004, 10:33 AM

Re: anonymous

Quote:
Originally posted by BabyP
is it really anonymous to report hazing and how does it work?? I keep thinking of the show 21 jump street where they had young looking people pretend to be one of the students or whatever and they would catch the druggies, etc. Why doesnt the university have something like that???
Because they would get royally sued for invasion of privacy. Not to mention the alumni who would either be upset because they are Greek or the alumni who would be upset because they don't care and the school is wasting their money.

There were enough people upset when a girl went undercover in rush just to write a book - and she didn't even join. I can't imagine what would happen if someone rushed, pledged, was initiated and it was all a ruse to "catch" hazing.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Re: Re: anonymous

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Because they would get royally sued for invasion of privacy.
Only if its a public school, and even then, the law tolerates action based on probable cause.
Quote:
Not to mention the alumni who would either be upset because they are Greek or the alumni who would be upset because they don't care and the school is wasting their money.
Welcome to post-1989 America. Administrations don't tolerate known hazing anymore. The potential financial losses in a lawsuit, dwarfs the potential losses of lost alumni contributions.

Also, many hosty institutions do now have anonymous hazing reporting hotlines, and none have been sued over this.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:13 PM

Russell, would you like someone to initiate into your fraternity for the sole purpose of catching hazing? This is what she's talking about. That's what 21 Jump Street was. There is a hell of a big difference between that and having a hotline (which I don't have a problem with).

If a school deceived their students this way I bet that even the most non-Greek would cease their support. What would be next?
Old 02-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Banned

I just really hate Johnny Depp and wanted to say that.

-Rudey
Old 02-03-2004, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Russell, would you like someone to initiate into your fraternity for the sole purpose of catching hazing? This is what she's talking about. That's what 21 Jump Street was. There is a hell of a big difference between that and having a hotline (which I don't have a problem with).

If a school deceived their students this way I bet that even the most non-Greek would cease their support. What would be next?
Maybe your right, but who knows because the original post in this thread completely lacks clarity.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
not join but pledge and see how it is. hazing starts almost immediately. they can just be there for two weeks and find enough evidence......... I wonder if the (hazing) advisers know what they are doing........or do they just play dumb??
Old 02-04-2004, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BabyP
not join but pledge and see how it is. hazing starts almost immediately. they can just be there for two weeks and find enough evidence......... I wonder if the (hazing) advisers know what they are doing........or do they just play dumb??
Do you mean chapter advisers?

I would hope that any advisers, especially those that have a vested interest in the GLO, would make sure that their group is not hazing.

Bottom line. Hazing should not be tolerated. At the point it is discovered, either immediately within the pledge process or later, it should be reported. No need to let it go on for two weeks to "find enough evidence".
Old 02-04-2004, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

It's coming

I don't doubt undercovers are coming, the trend in society is overwhelmingly toward rigid enforcement of standards, for example look at Bush's proposal for truly random drug testing of high school students.
Its a tough time to be a libertarian.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Re: It's coming

Quote:
Originally posted by g41965
I don't doubt undercovers are coming, the trend in society is overwhelmingly toward rigid enforcement of standards, for example look at Bush's proposal for truly random drug testing of high school students.
I doubt it. I mean, with the budget crunch we have at most American schools, this would probably require paying someone. Do you think IFC would pay to enforce this stuff? Heck no. I don't think the schools care that much about this stuff.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-04-2004, 04:47 PM

Re: Re: It's coming

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by g41965
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
I doubt it. I mean, with the budget crunch we have at most American schools, this would probably require paying someone. Do you think IFC would pay to enforce this stuff? Heck no. I don't think the schools care that much about this stuff.

Open your eyes kt. Undercover cops are already in fraternity houses. Search the word "undercover". Of course the IFC wouldn't pay for it. The IFC and the schools don't pay for the undercover cops that are raiding keg parties. The cops finance it and then they fine everyone they bust to finance the next bust.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: It's coming

Quote:
Originally posted by madmax
Open your eyes kt. Undercover cops are already in fraternity houses. Search the word "undercover". Of course the IFC wouldn't pay for it. The IFC and the schools don't pay for the undercover cops that are raiding keg parties. The cops finance it and then they fine everyone they bust to finance the next bust.
I agree with you...but we're talking about people actually pledging fraternities to bust them for hazing, not undercover cops busting parties. That's repugnant too, but it's a different story.

On the whole, the local police depts don't give 2 craps about whether someone gets hazed, if correcting the situation won't put $$$ in their coffers.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Is it Advisers or Advisors?

Most Advisors are more mature Graduates who have come from other Chapters or the School Facualty.

Ah The Greek Busting COPs, NOT!

Most PDs have to much on their plates to jack with Greek Stuff unless it is a totaly out of hand sitituation!

Then and only if it is, then, they ought to have their butts busted!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-04-2004, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Advisor/Adviser .. both are correct. Alpha Gamma Delta uses Advisor. I believe the reasoning has to do with being females (like alumnae).

Dee