GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 2,447
0 members and 2,447 guests
No Members online

Old 12-10-2015, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Current Prospective Pledge Issues

Hey Everyone. This is my first thread on GC.com.
So I need advise on rushing/pledging for Spring 2016. I will not name my school or the fraternities I am interested in. I am a freshman.

Fraternity 1.
The brothers love me, I chilled with them all semester, went to rush events back in September and got to know them. They showed interest in me as well. They're known for being the party fraternity at my school. I was going to pledge Fall 2015 but due to a kind of academic probation they were not allowed to take in any freshmen this fall. They pretty much lied about this and said that they wanted us(interested freshmen) to solidify our grades and routine during our first semester. One brother(maybe the rush chair?) spoke to me recently about joining. The idea of them having low grades concerns me. They aren't the classiest guys in the world but offer a nice balance of work and play.

Fraternity 2.
I only know a few of the brothers. I didn't know anything about them in the beginning of the semester so I didn't go to their rush events(slight regret there). Got close to the brothers I knew and showed interest but couldn't find opportunities to get associated with everyone. I think they know I got tight with Fraternity 1. One newly crossed brother has kind of put in a bad word for me(he doesn't like me and I spoke to him ONCE in my life so I can't explain why). Another one put in a really good word for me. These guys are way classier in presentation, require a high GPA, still party but not as hard as Fraternity 1.

Dilemma: I'm going to rush both fraternities in spring 2016, and I think I'm guaranteed a bid from Fraternity 1. I'm not sure if the one brother from Fraternity 2 that doesn't like me is going to hurt my chances of getting bid. Also I feel like if I pledge Fraternity 2 and drop(I don't think I will but who knows when one brother has it out for me) then Fraternity 1 might not give me a chance to join in Fall 2016. This is stressful. Thoughts? Thanks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-11-2015, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostGreek View Post
Hey Everyone. This is my first thread on GC.com.
So I need advise on rushing/pledging for Spring 2016. I will not name my school or the fraternities I am interested in. I am a freshman.

Fraternity 1.
The brothers love me, I chilled with them all semester, went to rush events back in September and got to know them. They showed interest in me as well. They're known for being the party fraternity at my school. I was going to pledge Fall 2015 but due to a kind of academic probation they were not allowed to take in any freshmen this fall. They pretty much lied about this and said that they wanted us(interested freshmen) to solidify our grades and routine during our first semester. One brother(maybe the rush chair?) spoke to me recently about joining. The idea of them having low grades concerns me. They aren't the classiest guys in the world but offer a nice balance of work and play.

Fraternity 2.
I only know a few of the brothers. I didn't know anything about them in the beginning of the semester so I didn't go to their rush events(slight regret there). Got close to the brothers I knew and showed interest but couldn't find opportunities to get associated with everyone. I think they know I got tight with Fraternity 1. One newly crossed brother has kind of put in a bad word for me(he doesn't like me and I spoke to him ONCE in my life so I can't explain why). Another one put in a really good word for me. These guys are way classier in presentation, require a high GPA, still party but not as hard as Fraternity 1.

Dilemma: I'm going to rush both fraternities in spring 2016, and I think I'm guaranteed a bid from Fraternity 1. I'm not sure if the one brother from Fraternity 2 that doesn't like me is going to hurt my chances of getting bid. Also I feel like if I pledge Fraternity 2 and drop(I don't think I will but who knows when one brother has it out for me) then Fraternity 1 might not give me a chance to join in Fall 2016. This is stressful. Thoughts? Thanks.
I think my BOLDS should help you with your dilemma.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
I think my BOLDS should help you with your dilemma.
Hmm. Yeah that does make sense. Pretty important to be around people that have the better work ethic etc
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 PM

Too damn much drama and you're not even a pledge yet. Forget them both and check out fraternity #3 and #4.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I would scratch Fraternity 1 and concentrate your efforts on Fraternity 2, however, I'd also consider other chapters on campus, providing there are more than just two.

Did the school put Fraternity 1 on academic probation? Not sure I've ever heard of a fraternity chapter being put on academic probation before, and because of this probation they weren't allowed to take in any Freshmen, but were they allowed to extend bids to sophomores or upper classmen?
Old 12-12-2015, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
I would scratch Fraternity 1 and concentrate your efforts on Fraternity 2, however, I'd also consider other chapters on campus, providing there are more than just two.

Did the school put Fraternity 1 on academic probation? Not sure I've ever heard of a fraternity chapter being put on academic probation before, and because of this probation they weren't allowed to take in any Freshmen, but were they allowed to extend bids to sophomores or upper classmen?
Yes, upper classmen pledged Fraternity 1.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I decided I'm just gonna try to get to know the brothers of Fraternity 2 and bank on rush week next semester. Wish me luck guys