GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,308
2 members and 2,306 guests
Pinkmagnolia921, Xidelt

Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

What happens on bid day if you don't get a bid?

If you don't get a bid, will you even make it all the way to bid day, or will they eliminate you before it and let you know not to go? And if you do end up at bid day without a bid, what do you do? Just stand there when everyone opens their bid cards?
Also, I'm planning on rushing at the University of Arkansas, which is very competitive. I've heard that lots of girl don't get into sororities. Can anyone tell me how many girls don't get in each year, like what percent of all the girls that rush?
Thanks in advance!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

First of all, there is no standard percentage of women who are not placed. Everyone who makes it to pref has the potential to be placed if she has maximized her options. They will explain how all that works when you get there for recruitment orientation. Be mindful of all that is said "officially" and ignore all the tent talk and gossip. If you have questions, ask your recruitment counselor. Attend all events and consider each group carefully.

And you will be contacted if you don't have a bid prior to the bid day event. They do not let women show up and not get an envelope. How rude would that be?!?!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, thanks. Yeah, I was thinking that would be so rude, but I wasn't sure how it worked! Lol, glad to know they contact you beforehand.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

There are also 2 new groups colonizing this year at Arkansas so if you did happen to get released you could always check out the colonies. There will be some more options this year for any women who dont get placed. Be prepared, have fun, fully participate and you'll do fine! Good luck.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliec View Post
If you don't get a bid, will you even make it all the way to bid day, or will they eliminate you before it and let you know not to go? And if you do end up at bid day without a bid, what do you do? Just stand there when everyone opens their bid cards?
Also, I'm planning on rushing at the University of Arkansas, which is very competitive. I've heard that lots of girl don't get into sororities. Can anyone tell me how many girls don't get in each year, like what percent of all the girls that rush?
Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Okay, thanks. Yeah, I was thinking that would be so rude, but I wasn't sure how it worked! Lol, glad to know they contact you beforehand.
Related thread: What To Do If You're Released From Recruitment

To the OP, just go into rush with an open mind and have fun! Good luck!
Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I've heard that lots of girl don't get into sororities.
Thanks in advance!
This is not true. The vast majority of women who don't end up in a sorority drop out of recruitment when they don't get the chapters they want. They do not get dropped by all chapters.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is not true. The vast majority of women who don't end up in a sorority drop out of recruitment when they don't get the chapters they want. They do not get dropped by all chapters.
Is this true at Arkansas also? Because from what I've heard, about 1500 girls rush and each chapter only take about 100. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. I'm also concerned about rec letters? I won't be going to college until fall 2013 though, so I have time to get anything I need during my senior year.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Is this true at Arkansas also? Because from what I've heard, about 1500 girls rush and each chapter only take about 100. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not.
That's because women DROP OUT - not because all the chapters cut them. Many of those 700 women could have found a place in a sorority if they would have stuck with rush the whole way through. If there are (ridiculous number for emphasis) 8000 women at pref, and 8 sororities, each chapter will have a pledge class of 1000. There is no "cap" on how many members a chapter can have at Arkansas.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is this true at Arkansas also? Because from what I've heard, about 1500 girls rush and each chapter only take about 100. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. I'm also concerned about rec letters? I won't be going to college until fall 2013 though, so I have time to get anything I need during my senior year.
Quota at Arkansas last year was 130. You do the math.

DBB is right, the vast majority do drop out because they go in thinking "I only want to be an ABC or XYZ," and they don't give the other chapters a chance...so they choose to drop out.

Quit mindfcuking yourself about something that might not even happen. Work on getting admitted first. Enjoy your senior year and keep your grades up.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, you guys are right. I think I'm just freaking myself out too much. I'll probably be back in a year freaking out on here again, but until then, I'm gonna go enjoy my last year of high school!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you are very smart to be planning ahead for recruitment. Instead of worrying about recruitment a year in advance, enjoy your senior year. Keep your grades up, start figuring out who you can ask to write recs for you when the time comes, brush up on your conversational skills and just, in general, concentrate on making yourself the best "YOU" you can be!

Stay in touch! There are plenty of lovely ladies on this board who will help you along the way.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTA1550 View Post
I think you are very smart to be planning ahead for recruitment. Instead of worrying about recruitment a year in advance, enjoy your senior year. Keep your grades up, start figuring out who you can ask to write recs for you when the time comes, brush up on your conversational skills and just, in general, concentrate on making yourself the best "YOU" you can be!

Stay in touch! There are plenty of lovely ladies on this board who will help you along the way.
Excellent advice, especially on the grades! Can't believe how many of my D's friends let their grades slip so much their senior year.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, stay involved in activities that showcase your talents and offer leadership opportunities. Sororities are looking for accomplished, well-rounded members who want to take an active part in the organization.