GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,038
0 members and 1,038 guests
No Members online

Old 03-09-2013, 01:45 AM

Honestly, the only "upgrade" listed that I'm the least bit interested in is increased message storage. I have no desire for photo or video albums or any of that other (what I see as) clutter - and as far as forums for every school with a Greek system, does that include locals? Schools that have "clubs" who operate like GLOs? Community colleges that have their GLOs? Where do you quit? I'm just afraid that something like that would either result in a lot of empty forums (much like a certain happy pony rainbow filled Greek site I can think of) which I personally think makes people less inclined to post anything, or else turn into another aaaay ceee beee or the like.

I'll gladly pay a "pledge drive" fee (rather than a subscription) to have more PM storage and increased protection from spammers, but the rest of the things don't have me inclined to donate a dime.

Last edited by 33girl; 03-09-2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

There are already forums out there for every school with Greek Life. I don't think John is considering that. The ability to embed Youtube would be nice though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
There are already forums out there for every school with Greek Life. I don't think John is considering that.
ORLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
GC should have avatars, significantly increased message storage, threaded PMs, photo albums, video albums, mobile apps, a mobile version of the site, forums for each college & university that have Greeks on campus, forums for each chapter that wants one, other services for chapters, a member & alumni directory (for those who want to be listed), improved hosting infrastructure and other ideas that I do not want to mention publicly.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Didn't catch that on my first read.

I agree, that'd be a bunch of empty forums. We already have lots of those.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I agree, that'd be a bunch of empty forums. We already have lots of those.
I was a little too brief with how I posted about that idea. My plan isn't completely figured out but I have given it a bit of thought.

Current forums that are empty or seriously inactive could end up being deactivated or moved out of view.

Then we would have an area of the site, or use an existing area, for new forum requests. New forums would be added when there is enough interest indicated by GCers. This process would also be used when/if there is interest to bring back any of the old forums that were deactivated.

That's generally the process I've thought about using even with the campus forums. If there's enough interest then we would add them. No interest would mean no forum for that campus.

Somewhat of a work in progress, but that's the general idea.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Would it be possible to group schools together? Perhaps do a west, mid west, north and south or something similar instead of individual schools? That way if I am looking at multiple schools I an look in that area? The problem with my idea is that there is a wide variety in areas, but something like that idea?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 03-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

If you were going to do it, probably just have forums dedicated to different athletic conferences as greek cultures seem to be pretty similar from school to school within big time athletic conferences, then maybe another forum for FCS and DII/DIII schools as they are very much in the YMMV category.

I see lots of potential in what is being discussed and how it could potentially lure a lot more folks here. The down side is that other sites (which shall not be named) which do this are just endless rumor mills with zero credibility where you can read some anonymous sorority girl telling everyone what she heard about why half of Pike's pledge class and their rush chair quit. That said, if there was a better moderated forum out there, the current mods would likely be up to that sort of task.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The down side is that other sites (which shall not be named) which do this are just endless rumor mills with zero credibility where you can read some anonymous sorority girl telling everyone what she heard about why half of Pike's pledge class and their rush chair quit.
^^^^ HAhahahaaaa!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Xi Phi View Post
Let's talk about a democratic process for selecting and retiring moderators.

Then we can talk subscriptions.
LOL

I was thinking that I like the optional subscription but thought maybe people won't take the 5-year plan because who knows if they'll still be coming around in 5 years? But then again, I was active for 7 years before I was even Greek so hell, I'm not going anywhere. But I don't mind the ads so I like the idea of having an option. But I wouldn't mind making a contribution, this place is awesome and I want to see it thrive as much as everyone else.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Having an option like "reddit gold" would be another way to drive revenue and add to someone's avatar.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I'm sure there are a lot of people out there like me, who don't post alllll the time but would still be interested in paying to be a member of the site.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

What about selling smartphone apps?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
What about selling smartphone apps?
That's a possibility and is something I will eventually look into.

I've been dragging my feet too much in regards to getting any of what was discussed in this thread going.

I guess what it boils down to is that I do not like the idea of loading GreekChat up with ads nor do I like the idea of asking members to pay any kind of membership fee (even if only for access to bonus site features). It's a recipe for disaster if I don't do something, though, so I am going to get started working on it today.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

That's one app I would consider paying for, and I don't pay for apps in general.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Me too!