GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,407
3 members and 2,404 guests
MSKKG, Xidelt

Old 06-29-2001, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to SpoiledAngel Send a message via AIM to SpoiledAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SpoiledAngel
Question Interested in Rushing Kappa

Hi! I'm planning to rush at the University of Kentucky this fall and I have an interest in the Kappa Kappa Gamma chapter here. I've been to the national website, but i still have a few unanswered questions. I was wondering what Kappa looks for in rushees, if recommendations are needed in order to pledge Kappa, and what kinds of questions Kappa members ask rushees during rush. I thank all who reply!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-30-2001, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

SpoiledAngel,

I am a Kappa alum from South Carolina. Good luck with Recruitment this fall! You may check the University of Kentucky website to see if they have additional information about the Beta Chi chapter of KKG to help you out. Also, I can tell you that Kappa requires at least a 3.0 GPA for freshman and at least a 2.5 for upperclassmen. Scholarship is very important (since getting an education at college is your #1 goal), as are leadership qualities and high personal standards. It would be helpful for you to have a reference going into recruitment if that is possible. Be yourself, ask lots of questions, and have fun. There is also some good advice from SouthernTheta regarding recruitment at southern schools if you look on the main page under Rush. Kappa is a wonderful organization, and of course I think it's the best but I'm biased! Our chapter programming is designed to make sure you are not spending too much time at Kappa events so that you can focus on school. I will try to find out if the KY chapter has a website and let you know. Best of luck!
Old 07-03-2001, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello, SpoiledAngel!

I'm so glad to hear that you're interested in the UK chapter of KKG! Ashley Judd is a KKG from the UK chapter, so you would be in excellent company!!

You asked what KKG looks for in Rushees. Kappa standards include:
* an expectation of high personal ethics
* a commitment to the campus community and the larger world
* "gentle civility," (which means that KKG recognizes that there is much to be learned from being with others whether in class, attending a social event or in preparation for a joint philanthropy project)

Just be yourself! That's all Kappa (or any sorority) can ask of you!!! Don't forget that, whatever you do!!

A rush recommendation is not required in order to be extended a bid from KKG. But, it always helps to have a rec turned in, because many times the actives look at those before Rush starts, and they have the chance to learn about you even before they meet you through rush. Do you know anyone who can write you a rec? Please let me know!

What kinds of questions will KKG ask you? Probably the usual! At first, it will be "Where are you from," "What's your major," "Where do you live on campus"... Then it will be "Why are you rushing?" "What do you want to accomplish in college?" "What are your goals/hobbies/dreams, etc?"

Like I said before, no matter what they ask you (at KKG or anywhere else): JUST BE YOURSELF! And don't forget--they're not just interviewing you-- YOU ARE INTERVIEWING THEM! You are choosing them as much as they are choosing you, and this is a lifetime committment--be sure you ask questions of the girls who are rushing you!!! Not only will you be making a more informed personal choice when you sign your bid card, you will be taking a genuine interest in you rusher, and she will notice and appreciate that!

SpoiledAngel, I wish you the best of luck! Kappa is an amazing, wonderful organization! Best of luck to you! And don't hesitate to ask us more questions!!!

Panhellenically,
imsohappythatiama

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 07-06-2001, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Spoiled Angel,

As a Kappa myself here in GA, I wish to tell you how happy we all are that you are considering Kappa as your new home.

Please also let me take this time to give you a little bit of advice.

Kappa is very special to myself and the rest of my sisters. Every sorority feels the same way. Strive to participate in everything your pledge class does. Spend time with these people. I can't stress that enough. When I first pledged I had just made a lot of new friends including a fraternity on campus. I became a Rush Hostess for this fraternity and ended up missing out on a lot of fun with my sisters. Later I became a Little Sister for this fraternity. They offered me a wonderful environment where I also felt quite at home.
I ended up spending more time with them than I did with my own sisters. This was a big mistake. Don't ever allow someone or a group of some ones to come between you and your sorority.

No matter where you pledge and eventually initiate, remember that those initial moments between pledge and sister are most important.
You will only get out what you put in. Sororities are a good move. They help you get oriented into a new place. Just imagine after one day you will have at least a hundred ready friends.

Good Luck with Rush. And follow your heart.

Loyally,

Laura
Old 07-10-2001, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Spoiled Angel
I know you are getting a lot of advice, but I just wanted to say one thing:
A lot of the girls that come through rush and pledge Kappa at my chapter have just one comment about rush. They feel very intimidated by us - but I want to get it out that we aren't trying to be intimidating at all!! We just want to get to know you really well - so we ask a lot of questions!
Don't be intimitaded by rush, it's the same for every sorority, they ask a ton of questions because they want to hear about you!
Best of luck during rush and pledging.

Casey
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Zeta Alpha / Babson College
Old 11-30-2001, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamAgain
Hey girls! I'm in a situation just like SpoiledAngel... I am going to the University of San Diego next semester and was interested in rushing Kappa there - do you know anything about the chapter/greek system there? Thanks!!
Old 12-01-2001, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Be friendly, be polite, and have fun... that's about it!