GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,221
0 members and 2,221 guests
No Members online

Old 05-20-2008, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Why is it so important to YOU that you can't just admit you were wrong?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-20-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyAO View Post
Are you really going to fight me on this through a message board?
Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinChicaDDD View Post
I guess if you want to get technical, it would be the Boy's family. But understand. I wouldn't want your good name to be smutted by association with me.

I found it amusing the Massachusetts Law About Landlord and Tenant from the Mass Trial Court Law Library cited Snopes about this matter.

I thought Greek Life wasn't recognized by the school? I could be very wrong about that, and I apologize if I am.
I keep forgetting his family is your family now (or soon to be).

You must take me to the whorehouses on our next road trip!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

This thread is so amusing. How many different ways can it be said? THERE IS NO LAW.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

still going

I love that this thread is still going....

Just wanted to say that the rumor on my undergrad campus was that they were considered a brothel if they had more than 5 girls living in a house with an oven. Yea...not really sure why people believed that, but what does an oven have to do with things? Baking=Whoring?

I think this rumor came about because the one sorority house with an oven only housed 5 girls. The other sorority houses had about 25 living in them with no oven.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Strive
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVHPM View Post

Just wanted to say that the rumor on my undergrad campus was that they were considered a brothel if they had more than 5 girls living in a house with an oven. Yea...not really sure why people believed that, but what does an oven have to do with things? Baking=Whoring?

I think this rumor came about because the one sorority house with an oven only housed 5 girls. The other sorority houses had about 25 living in them with no oven.
I hope it's a rumor. Sounds like the other sorority girls were jealous.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVHPM View Post

This is kind of an interesting twist on the rumor because it does draw a distinction between dorms and houses since most dorms wouldn't be though of as having ovens.

It's not rational or correct of course, and I think a lot of dorms had kitchens but at least it shows a little originality for a variation that would "explain" what the difference was between a sorority house that would be affected by the "brothel law" and the dorms that every campus probably had.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Is there a graceful way to tell someone they're full of malarkey when they try to inform me of their city's surprisingly common brothel law? I swear I must hear it once a week.

At a province recruitment work shop, a girl in the newest chapter told our adviser and god and everyone that Marysville (or wherever her school was) had a law that said more than five women living together was a brothel and that's why they couldn't have a house. AND NO ONE CORRECTED HER.

GC is turning me into the most bizarre kind of snob: a GLO fact elitist.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsmilehawk View Post
Is there a graceful way to tell someone they're full of malarkey when they try to inform me of their city's surprisingly common brothel law? I swear I must hear it once a week.

At a province recruitment work shop, a girl in the newest chapter told our adviser and god and everyone that Marysville (or wherever her school was) had a law that said more than five women living together was a brothel and that's why they couldn't have a house. AND NO ONE CORRECTED HER.

GC is turning me into the most bizarre kind of snob: a GLO fact elitist.
Direct her to Snopes.com and kindly tell her that brothel laws simply do not exist. If they still don't believe you, ask them to see documentation.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Lowell, MA

Here's a link to the city's zoning law (took me about 5 minutes to find).

http://www.lowellma.gov/depts/dpd/pe...ingOrdinance07

I couldn't find any mention in my quick scanning on the 105 pages but I could very well have missed something.

Last edited by SmartBlondeGPhB; 07-22-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

At Indiana State only one of the nine sororities have a house (Sigma Kappa). The rest of the sororities live in a stairwell in the Lincoln Quadrangles. When talking to all the different sororities, they all say that there is a "brothel" law in Terre Haute.

Here is the link to Time Magazine, an article on Terre Haute, which was Boom City, USA back in the day. This article was written and soon after, the legislation for the Brothel Law in Terre Haute was put into place.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...8978-1,00.html

Eventually, Mayor Larrison is convinced my President Rankin to pursue the Brothel Law because the prostitutes were moving into sorority houses, that was when Indiana State stepped in and voted to rid the sororities of their houses, they were to live on campus in the Quadrangles where they could be monitored and they could keep the prostitutes out.

I will do my best once I get back to Terre Haute to ge the legislation codes. I am 90% sure that they are still in place. There is my proof of how the problem got started. Now it is trying to find exactly when it was put into place that might take some digging.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamorePike View Post
At Indiana State only one of the nine sororities have a house (Sigma Kappa). The rest of the sororities live in a stairwell in the Lincoln Quadrangles. When talking to all the different sororities, they all say that there is a "brothel" law in Terre Haute.

Here is the link to Time Magazine, an article on Terre Haute, which was Boom City, USA back in the day. This article was written and soon after, the legislation for the Brothel Law in Terre Haute was put into place.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...8978-1,00.html

Eventually, Mayor Larrison is convinced my President Rankin to pursue the Brothel Law because the prostitutes were moving into sorority houses, that was when Indiana State stepped in and voted to rid the sororities of their houses, they were to live on campus in the Quadrangles where they could be monitored and they could keep the prostitutes out.

I will do my best once I get back to Terre Haute to ge the legislation codes. I am 90% sure that they are still in place. There is my proof of how the problem got started. Now it is trying to find exactly when it was put into place that might take some digging.
You need to do better than that Time article. It makes no mention of the legislation of a "brothel law" to reduce vice or prostitution because there was no "brothel law." There was a call to action but a "brothel law" wasn't the solution.

ETA: In fact, a scholarly search for the keywords "indiana state terre haute brothel law prostitution sorority housing" yields no articles or published/released documents about a brothel law, or a law prohibiting sorority housing due to prostitution, for a reason. Yet the wheels on the bus will keep going 'round and 'round.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 07-26-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Like I said, give me until the second or third week of August. Once I get to Terre Haute, I work near the court house, I can get your answer quickly. But we learned in our State History course at ISU that there is legislation in Terre Haute. I am pretty sure they wouldn't teach it to us if it was false. I will back up my sources, I just need to get to them.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Excuses:

Excuses are tools of incompetence
building monuments to nothingness on
pillars of insubstantialities.
Those that employ this theory or its practices
are seldom capable of anything but....
EXCUSES!!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay.

There are a bunch of website references to brothel laws and dumb laws that numerous states (coincidentally, more than one state is reported as prohibiting 12 or more women from living together....) supposedly have on the books about women living together constituting a brothel. However, none of these sites have credible sources, they tend to get their info from other sites, and I've never seen anyone actually cite the actual legislation.