GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,523
2 members and 2,521 guests
babradanry3265, TLLK

Old 07-31-2003, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GMUBunny Send a message via Yahoo to GMUBunny
Wow!!! You have TONS of great groups to choose from! I am sure that your religious beliefs will not become an issue in the least. My chapter has a few Jewish girls, one Mormon girl, and I think the rest of us are either Christian or open-minded. There is no conflict whatsoever. If anything, I have learned so much about each of them and that makes me feel good I know you'll find a home within the greek system there. Good luck!!!

Proud mommy of Tiernan Vincent 8-8-05 and Gwendolyn Iona 12-13-07!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-31-2003, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
BlueGBI,

Good Luck going through recruitment with soooo many wonderful choices! (I PM'd you)

Michelle
Old 07-31-2003, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Thanks for all of the replies. I've talked to some of my friends in Campus Crusade about rushing and how they would feel about it and they urged me to do it especially since to them it was apparent that I wanted to rush all last semester (I couldnt last semester because I was taking 18 credits and it was my make or break semester). Its like I have soo many people telling me to rush that if I don't, I'll have like 50 people to be accountable to.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I wish rush would hurry up and come! I can't WAIT to hear about it!! I don't know if we at GC have ever seen a thread with so many potential groups!! Best of luck, again!
Old 07-31-2003, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
I was an independent for 2 years and then pledged. Greek life didn't tempt me to do anything wrong any more than non-Greek life did.
I definitely agree. At my campus, there is even a Panhellenic Bible study group that meets I think once a week at various sorority houses.

I enjoy finding out about the different faiths of my sisters, as well.

Good luck in recruitment! you have some great groups to choose from!
Old 08-01-2003, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

blueGBI, i agree with all of the other girls on this thread and i'll say that it's important to look for girls who share your values but it's even MORE important to look for an organization whose members are respectful and open-minded...my own chapter is incredibly diverse and has sisters with a multitude of beliefs, but we all support each other in every endeavor...your real sisters would never try to discourage you from getting good grades, getting involved on campus and the same goes for supporting from your relationship with God...and it's good to know that i can debate and disagree with sisters and know that at the end of the day, they will still love me just the same and in the way that God has taught us to love everybody
Old 08-01-2003, 08:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Not to mention you might get a cyber beat down on here!

Quote:
Originally posted by blueGBI
Its like I have soo many people telling me to rush that if I don't, I'll have like 50 people to be accountable to.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

As everyone else is saying, you'll be okay. I know that my chapter is an anomaly here on GC, but religion was never a big issue. We had a few sisters who were Orthodox Jews, so we didn't have events on Friday nights (and if we did, they were excused).

We actually have a lot of sisters who calmed down after they joined our house. The first semester or first year of college is a time when a lot of girls are wild, and sometimes joining a group that is cohesive as a sorority can show the girls that there is more to life than partying and hooking up. Plus, they're usually so busy during New Member Ed that there's not as much time to be a party girl.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to be gone (offline) starting tonight so I wont be around to read replies and etc. I'm looking forward to reading rush stories, etc when I come back on 8/25. I'm going to clear out my pms so ppl can pm me while I'm gone. I'm soo going to miss everyone and greekchat.

Last edited by blueGBI; 08-03-2003 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to triskit03
Best of luck to you!!
Old 08-04-2003, 07:21 AM
GreekChat Member

all the best to you and god bless.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

So like yeah, I ended up not taking my comp down yet. (i have to on 8/11, no internet access) With all of this free time between now, school, and rush, doubts are creeping into my mind (ive talked with a couple GCers about this). I'm starting to seriously spaz about my class status (i'm a junior with 3 yrs left), i may/may not be a grade risk, and all of the blonde size 2 chicks i see on the websites (im black, far from a blonde and definitely not a size 2). Plus, some of my friends today basically told me why am I doing this, I'm not a rich white snob and I dont even own a Tiffany necklace! So yeah, my self-esteem isnt the highest this week.

I wish rush would hurry up!!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

AHHH!!! Don't even THINK about taking that stuff serious. The whole size two/blond/etc.etc.etc. garbage is not accurate. Think about the whole population on a campus. If you put the whole Greek system in a single file line, you would see a fairly accuate random sample of that campus. Of course, this differs from campus to campus, but for the most part, you will see a variety of "types" within a given group. You will also see guys and gals that don't fit any mold at all.

If being size two was a requirement, quota would have to be about 1. Total would be 3. Real women become sorority women.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 08-06-2003, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

would you want to be friends with someone who only cared about you bc you were blonde, size 2, rich, and wearing a tiffany's necklace? nope! with all of the houses for you to choose from, i am sure that there are some who are looking for those very things. i am also sure, that there are just as many groups who will be looking at you...bluegbi...and they will see the many qualities that you have to offer their group. these will be the people that you can call your sisters!
Old 08-06-2003, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Quote:
Originally posted by erica812

If being size two was a requirement, quota would have to be about 1. Total would be 3. Real women become sorority women.

Erica
Well said Erica! I love the "real women become sorority women" line that may become part of my sig.

Kendra--everyone has their own ideas about Greek life. YOU can form a pretty well informed opinion during Rush and you will be much more educated than your friends probably are about the whole thing. Even if you decide Greek life is not for you, I can assure you that you will learn something about yourself and other people. Best to you!

Michelle