GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,525
2 members and 2,523 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 03-05-2002, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Ohio University?

Hey, does anyone on here go to OU? If so, could you tell me about greek life there? I'm thinking about transferring there next year.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-06-2002, 01:38 AM

Hi,

I went to Ohio years ago and get back about once a year -- generally on Homecoming weekend.

Greek Life seems to be doing pretty well there, but that's just how it looks to an alum.

My latest newsletter reported the Beta Chapter of Delta Tau Delta has between 85 and 90 active members, a GPA of over 3.0, won Homecoming (with ADPi), was either first or second in athletics and was pledging almost 15 men per quarter. The Shelter is full and the mortgage will be paid off this year. For what it's worth.

I think you'll love the campus and the school. Best of luck.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 03-06-2002 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I met a lot of girls from OU who are in the Greek System and they are so nice and seem like tons of fun to hang out with. The houses there are gorgeous, and everyone who is Greek seems really enthusiastic about it. I think you'll love it there!
Old 03-06-2002, 11:12 AM

OU is a great school. Halloween down there is legendary.....just insane. The greek system was always strong there.....you might want to look up OU on the web, find out what chapters they have, and then try to link to any sites they have out there and get a better look.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:15 PM

The web address is www.ohio.edu.

It really is a great school. I've never run across anywhere else with alumni who are so totally taken with their college experience. The campus is absolutely beautiful, and if Athens isn't the prototypical college town, I don't know what is.

Given the small town atmosphere and the Georgian buildings, it's hard to believe that it is a campus of nearly 20,000 students.

And Halloween is legendary -- in my day it was St. Patrick's Day. Great parties!

Gee, can you tell I was the president of the local chapter of the OU Alumni Association for 10 yars or so? Our oldest daughter also graduated from OU in 1999.

Again, best of luck.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi!

I am also an Ohio University alum. And, as the user name implies, I'm a Pi Phi. My youngest daughter is currently a sophomore and a Pi Phi at OU. And my oldest daughter graduated from there in Nov. She is also, you guessed it, a Pi Phi!

Having been involved there "way back when" and also currently, I know a bit about the Greek System at Ohio. I loved being part of it as a collegiate, and each of my daughters has found it to be a great experience and a lot of fun! It is relatively strong-I think about 16% of the campus is Greek. That probably doesn't sound like a very high percentage when compared to some southern schools, but I think it is at least an average number for a midwestern university. The larger sororities on campus have between 130-160 members each. The Pi Phi House houses about 65 woman, and I believe most of the other houses are that large also.

If you go to the OU website that DeltAlum cited and click on "Current Students" followed by a click on "Student Life" you will find yourself at "Greek Life." Once there, you can find the web pages of many, but not all, of the campus' chapters. There is a Phi Mu chapter in Athens and I know that there is a chapter web page. Once there, I'm sure you can access the email address of someone who can answer any questions you might have about affiliating.

Have you ever been to Athens? As per DeltAlum's post, the campus is beautiful and so is southeastern Ohio. I've never met an OU alum who doesn't have fond memories of his or her days in Athens. It's a special place, and I hope you will find it to be so.

If you have any other specific questions about Ohio U. or Greek Life there, please feel free to PM me.

Good Luck, and keep us posted!
Old 03-11-2002, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristiAZD
Half of my high school goes there. BIG party school. And yes, Halloween is legendary. I have not yet been able to go since the school has limits as to how many visitors students are allowed to have, but I hear it's a blast. As for greek life, I don't personally know. My friends that go there aren't gung-ho for going greek so I couldn't give you a "greek's" point of view. I've basically heard it's take it or leave it.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:27 AM

Hmmmm....

The Princeton Review (which has nothing whatsoever to do with Princeton University, by the way) while dropping OU from it's top ten Party School list this year, ranked it number 8 or something like that for Greek systems.

The previous president was a Sigma Chi, I think, and the current president is supposed to be fairly anti-Greek.

I have absolutely no idea what criteria the Review uses, and their rating seems a real stretch to me, but what do I know?

After all I'm just a...

DeltAlum