GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,186
0 members and 2,186 guests
No Members online

Old 08-28-2015, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
I think this is an NPC pilot program or something. Didn't they do this at UCLA last year? (I'm pretty pregnant, so I could also be crazy!)
Yes, at UCLA, RC's (or RG's) didn't have to hide their Greek affiliations. I remember 1 of the UCLA Greek Advisors saying it was a very small # of schools who were selected to do this Fall 2014. Like, 10 or so. Think it worked well. When a PNM can bond with a RC (from a WRC), it helps the PNM can keep an open mind and really give that chapter a chance. 11 of the 12 chapters made/exceeded quota (2 were few MN's away & I'm calling that close enough to "quota") and 9 of the 12 were at total, with 2 others nearly at total.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-28-2015, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder1965 View Post
Purdue is also likely going to move the Open House round to the Union next year with each house having a room.....I don't want to be an old alum but I don't like this idea!
Iowa tried a couple goofy things like this as it adjusted to RFM which was a hard struggle there. The difference in chapter sizes was tremendous and I think they thought this would solve that. It didn't. When it became clear that RFM was the new normal rushees started to bite down and accept the invitations they received. Fast forward several years and now all chapters participating in formal rush are more or less at total with chapter sizes growing, and I personally think it's time for expansion.

Why that would be tried at Purdue, I don't know. Somebody thinks it will be easier for the busy rounds?
Old 08-28-2015, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My DD is home getting ready to start her last recruitment tonight. Her take on these issues. The feeling on the Gamma Chi's is like DeltaBetaBaby said. It is too hard to keep affiliations a secret. Gamma Chi's don't have to sneak back to their houses or ignore sisters on campus during recruitment.

Recruiting in the Union next year--AOPI does not have a house and when it is built it is going to be nowhere near any other Greek housing. Who knows a time frame and location for a future KD house. Recruiting in the Union would cut down busing time between the Acres, Campus, and AOPi/KD locations. Twenty minutes is the time allowed for busing between rounds. That time added to party time makes for a long two days. She also is mentioning that this also makes the PNM look at the sisters and not the physical house/locations/lack of AC, etc.

Boiler up!
Old 08-28-2015, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDIMom,GreekDot View Post
My DD is home getting ready to start her last recruitment tonight. Her take on these issues. The feeling on the Gamma Chi's is like DeltaBetaBaby said. It is too hard to keep affiliations a secret. Gamma Chi's don't have to sneak back to their houses or ignore sisters on campus during recruitment.

Recruiting in the Union next year--AOPI does not have a house and when it is built it is going to be nowhere near any other Greek housing. Who knows a time frame and location for a future KD house. Recruiting in the Union would cut down busing time between the Acres, Campus, and AOPi/KD locations. Twenty minutes is the time allowed for busing between rounds. That time added to party time makes for a long two days. She also is mentioning that this also makes the PNM look at the sisters and not the physical house/locations/lack of AC, etc.

Boiler up!
My brother and sister in law went to Purdue (weren't Greek) so I know the campus well. Where is the AOPi house going to be?
Old 08-28-2015, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

The NE corner of Harrison and Grant, two blocks south of Krannert/Union. Demolition of existing building has not started.

Closest Greeks--Phi Delts (3-4 blocks) or the frats on Littleton(6+ blocks). Zeta/Pi Phi are 7-8 blocks away.

Edit to add: 236 Harrison Street

Last edited by GDIMom,GreekDot; 08-28-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-28-2015, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The NE corner of Harrison and Grant, two blocks south of Krannert/Union. Demolition of existing building has not started.

Closest Greeks--Phi Delts (3-4 blocks) or the frats on Littleton(6+ blocks). Zeta/Pi Phi are 7-8 blocks away.
Yep. I know exactly where that is. Thanks!

My brother lived in apartments that were by the Sigma Chi house (this was when Drew Brees was there ).
Old 08-28-2015, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Edit to add: 236 Harrison Street
Yikes, that's pretty far away - they're going to be isolated for quite some time! For a while I heard there was talk of building Greek housing out on the intramural fields by the airport. Anyone else hear of this?
Old 08-28-2015, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygphib View Post
Yikes, that's pretty far away - they're going to be isolated for quite some time! For a while I heard there was talk of building Greek housing out on the intramural fields by the airport. Anyone else hear of this?
Yes, I have heard that too. Purdue just approved a 50 year plan and it calls for demolition of many Greek houses close to campus. I am on the corp board for the SK chapter and a coalition of Greek houses close to campus was formed last fall and our President represented us. The Greek houses and cooperatives who do not own their land (lease from Purdue) are more vulnerable. Thank goodness we own our land....although the university could just use eminent domain. Ultimately, We concluded our house wouldn't seriously be impacted until about 25 years so who knows what the situation will be by then. We might be ready for a new house! LOL
Old 08-28-2015, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Boiler up!
I guess I understand it but I still don't like it. It seems like they could figure out the transportation issues. Maybe I don't like it because I am on our corp board and know how much money we spend to make the chapter house look pretty that I want people to see it!
Old 08-28-2015, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We had also heard the intramural field possibility.

As a townie (Not really, I grew up in Indy but have been here long enough to feel that way) I hate to see Purdue take over the blocks between University and Intramural. It would hugely expand campus but where are all of those Greeks and students to go? West Lafayette has ordinances that make it difficult for the students to live off campus and there is so little unoccupied land available. Those blocks are a nice buffer between academic buildings and student housing.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:

As a townie (Not really, I grew up in Indy but have been here long enough to feel that way) I hate to see Purdue take over the blocks between University and Intramural. It would hugely expand campus but where are all of those Greeks and students to go? West Lafayette has ordinances that make it difficult for the students to live off campus and there is so little unoccupied land available. Those blocks are a nice buffer between academic buildings and student housing.
It's almost as though Mitch Daniels is full of bad ideas...
Old 08-28-2015, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Ha, no comment
Old 08-28-2015, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I hadn't thought of this point, but I think its a good one.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder1965 View Post
Ha, no comment
I have a lot of comments about Mitch Daniels, but I have to be at a football game in 15 minutes so you're all in luck. You get to miss out on my "what exactly is wrong with Indiana since he was governor" diatribe.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
At the graduation ceremony I attended in May, he started talking about "political correctness" in a sarcastic voice, and some baby started screaming its head off. I pretty much agreed.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 08-29-2015 at 08:20 AM.