GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,198
2 members and 2,196 guests
chi-o_cat, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-15-2011, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
last year I was extremly busy and was involved in an organization on the National level which was quite a bit time consuming. It was a children's organization, and this year I have aged out, so I no longer have that as a time commitment. This also means that I have more time to invest in a new passion of mine (which I'm hoping could possibly be a sorority if I recieve a bid)
I would think your experience with your national organization might be interesting to the women recruiting you - whether it's Jack & Jill or 4H or whatever, working at the national level has to have taught you some skills you might offer the group.

As others have said, no one here knows the exact situation at your school, who you are friends with and who (if anyone) you've alienated, or how upperclassman are viewed, but it sounds like you've asked around and made an assessment, so let us know how it goes.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm also wondering, when I'm going to the first set of parties, how should I act when I get to the sorority that I signed with for a day? I know a few people will remember me (a girl from my high school, my Rho Chi, the girl I preffed with etc), but I also know many will not. Will they be angry that I dropped my pledge and am rushing again? I think that, theoretically, if I recieved a bid from them this year I would take it and am going into recruitment with a completly open mind about all the sororities on campus. But, I was just wondering how I should treat this situation. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
If THEY bring it up, "I rushed last year, but didn't end up pledging."
No. This is the last thing she should say. She should only comment on it if they bring it up, of course, but rather than word it this way (which is misleading) she should say "I rushed last year and received a bid, but depledged during the first week for personal reasons that have now been resolved. It had nothing to do with the sorority."

Saying that "she didn't end up pledging" makes it sound like she never got a bid, and for all we know, the chapter may have entered her name on a pledge roll of some sort before she depledged. Therefore, she WAS pledging. She should not skirt the issue that she actually received a bid. It's public record. Lying about it will make her look twice as bad.

Saying she was in tears at bid day and quit the next morning doesn't sound too great either, which is why she should just say she quit in the first week (which is the truth).

However, from what the OP has said about her school, it sounds like most groups/people will know her situation anyway, so the question is kind of moot. She didn't characterize it as a huge SEC-type school with hundreds of girls coming through where you can barely remember the girls from day to day let alone year to year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sunflower~ View Post
I'm also wondering, when I'm going to the first set of parties, how should I act when I get to the sorority that I signed with for a day? I know a few people will remember me (a girl from my high school, my Rho Chi, the girl I preffed with etc), but I also know many will not. Will they be angry that I dropped my pledge and am rushing again? I think that, theoretically, if I recieved a bid from them this year I would take it and am going into recruitment with a completly open mind about all the sororities on campus. But, I was just wondering how I should treat this situation. Thanks!
We can't tell you how they'll act. They may understand why you dropped and greet you with delight and want you give you a bid again, they may all ignore you or be super rude to you, or somewhere in between. Most likely the whole chapter will be aware of your situation if your school required women to sign up in advance. Just be as polite and gracious as you can.

Last edited by 33girl; 08-19-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

All you can control is how YOU handle the situation. You may have to have a more personal conversation than most of the girls around you, but it is what it is. Try to be as gracious as you can, and if you are in contact with any girls in that particular chapter now, I would try to let them know (now, not during rush - that's a rush infraction) how you feel. But not at the first day party - too awkward and you don't know if your rusher knows you or your story and it could open a whole can of worms you don't want squirming around.

Be nice, don't lie, and you don't have to vomit out your whole life story. Less is more when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I did it. I turned in my application for recruitment! I knew that I would regret not trying more than being upset if things dont work out. Things didn't work out last year and I survived, so I know I can do it again. I will try to keep you guys posted on what happens!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, I did it. I turned in my application for recruitment! I knew that I would regret not trying more than being upset if things dont work out. Things didn't work out last year and I survived, so I know I can do it again. I will try to keep you guys posted on what happens!
Good luck!!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quick Question
I remember when I was looking over the different posts this summer finding a post that was talking about Suicide Bids and how sometimes if you do that you get kicked out of consideration for COBing....and they suggested writing down your first choice and then another sorority that you would have absolutly no chance or receiving a bid from because you had been dropped by them a few days ago....but of course I can't find that post. I just wanted to check....is that something that actually works? Like, if I know I really dont' want my second choice would writing another one down that I haven't visited in a few days actually work? I'm not at that point yet in recruitment, but I've just been thinking about all my options and wanted to check.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Quick Question
I remember when I was looking over the different posts this summer finding a post that was talking about Suicide Bids and how sometimes if you do that you get kicked out of consideration for COBing....and they suggested writing down your first choice and then another sorority that you would have absolutly no chance or receiving a bid from because you had been dropped by them a few days ago....but of course I can't find that post. I just wanted to check....is that something that actually works? Like, if I know I really dont' want my second choice would writing another one down that I haven't visited in a few days actually work? I'm not at that point yet in recruitment, but I've just been thinking about all my options and wanted to check.
If you do not list all chapters at which you attend pref, you are still eligible for COB, you are not eligible to be a QA. Writing down a chapter at which you did not pref is the same as SIP'ing. You will not fool anybody.

All that said, in your position, you should really try to be open to any bid in what is probably your last chance to go Greek.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Quick Question
I mentioned that ages ago with computer programs that are antiquated now.

In your position, where you have already gotten dropped from all but one of the chapters in your previous rush, it isn't going to fly.