GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,500
2 members and 2,498 guests
John

Old 12-05-2005, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, OleMissGlitter, thanks for that link. Do you suppose there's anywhere in the world to get a copy? Because to those of you asking, "Who would watch?" the answer is, I would! And I'd be happy to pay for it, too.

I doubt I'm the only one who'd be interested...there's no shortage of readers for "rushee's-eye-view" articles in school papers and so forth, and this would probably appeal to the same crowd.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-05-2005, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There is a documentary about sorority recruitment at Ole Miss from the 1980s. (it might have been the 1970s but I don't really remember which decade it was). I've seen it and it just sort of whatever, just shows the sororities singing songs and stuff. It is neat to see how much the houses have changed through the years.
When I was in high school I had Lisa Birnbach's College Book, a college guide by the woman who wrote The Official Preppy Handbook, and in the section on Ole Miss their dean of student life mentioned that documentary. Apparently a girl from Ireland saw it and decided to come to America so she could enroll at Ole Miss and join a sorority.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IvySpice
Wow, OleMissGlitter, thanks for that link. Do you suppose there's anywhere in the world to get a copy? Because to those of you asking, "Who would watch?" the answer is, I would! And I'd be happy to pay for it, too.

I doubt I'm the only one who'd be interested...there's no shortage of readers for "rushee's-eye-view" articles in school papers and so forth, and this would probably appeal to the same crowd.
I am working on getting a copy from a local movie place here. The library does not have a copy although they said they had a few disserations I might be interested in...not sure if I want to read hundreds of pages on something I'm pretty familiar with...but I'll see what I can find and if I can get another copy I'll hook you up! It is quite interesting though from what I remember. Mostly for me I enjoyed seeing what the sorority houses looked like back in 1981 and how different rush is at Ole Miss now with the "no frills" in play. They use to do so much elaborate stuff before the new NPC resolutions. I also found last night at the AOII house some old rush videos from the last 1980s and early 1990s...talk about hilarious! We are going to burn them eventually to a DVD to show to our alumni when they come in town for events...totally hilarious!
Old 12-08-2005, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think that there should be one, however, extreme conditions should apply. The documentary should focus on the positive things, and it should not include drinking. Also, they should feature girls that either got released or dropped out to show the harsh, yet true reality that not everyone gets in. Documentaries do not have happy endings for everyone.
If that's the case, I don't think you want to make a documentary at all. If you only want the film to focus on the positive aspects and only show certain things, you're more or less making a promotional film - not a documentary. I agree with some earlier posts, and you'll never satisfy everyone. If it's too pro-sorority, GDIs will blow it off, but if it's too anti-sorority, sorority women will be up in arms. It's just one of those things that's very hard to show objectively b/c most people have very strong opinions.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about any documentaries, but I have read a book called "Pledged" by Alexandra Robbins that follwed three soroity women for a year. Coming from a Northern Sorority with and open mind on a campus that has a somewhat different Greek environment than most campuses, I found it to be interesting. Friends of mine that are members on other campuses have not liked the book, but i think it gives an interesting look into sorority life. Not all of it is pretty, not all of it is nice, but as a current active, I can relate to many of the things the women in the book go through.

Pick it up if you want a "documentary" in book form
Old 12-29-2005, 06:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DOphimuuudle
I don't know about any documentaries, but I have read a book called "Pledged" by Alexandra Robbins that follwed three soroity women for a year. Coming from a Northern Sorority with and open mind on a campus that has a somewhat different Greek environment than most campuses, I found it to be interesting. Friends of mine that are members on other campuses have not liked the book, but i think it gives an interesting look into sorority life. Not all of it is pretty, not all of it is nice, but as a current active, I can relate to many of the things the women in the book go through.

Pick it up if you want a "documentary" in book form
*Groan* PLEASE do a search on this book, it has, of course, been discussed EXTENSIVELY in multiple threads on this site. If you take this book that seriously, I have a few bridges I can sell you.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
*Groan* PLEASE do a search on this book, it has, of course, been discussed EXTENSIVELY in multiple threads on this site. If you take this book that seriously, I have a few bridges I can sell you.
Agreed. That book is FAR from being a documentary.....
Old 01-04-2006, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Questions about documentaries on sorority rush

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollergirl2001
I've seen a documentary on the History Channel about the fraterntity rush at Ole Miss. I have two questions:

1. Have anyone done a documentary about sorority rush?

2. Do you think that someone should do a documentary on sorority rush?

I think that there should be one, however, extreme conditions should apply. The documentary should focus on the positive things, and it should not include drinking. Also, they should feature girls that either got released or dropped out to show the harsh, yet true reality that not everyone gets in. Documentaries do not have happy endings for everyone.

Also, the girls must not say what sorority that they like or don't like. They should, however, say how many they feel comfortable or not comfortable with.
MTV had a tv show kind of like that. It was called sorority life. I'm not sure if it showed people who got cut or not. I never really watched it...just heard about it.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:09 AM
Unregistered-

Re: Re: Questions about documentaries on sorority rush

Quote:
Originally posted by Dee34
MTV had a tv show kind of like that. It was called sorority life. I'm not sure if it showed people who got cut or not. I never really watched it...just heard about it.
Whaaaat? MTV had a show about sororities? I can't believe I missed it! Where was I?

I wonder if they'll do a sequel? Maybe even a three-quel?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Questions about documentaries on sorority rush

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
Whaaaat? MTV had a show about sororities? I can't believe I missed it! Where was I?

I wonder if they'll do a sequel? Maybe even a three-quel?
And then maybe one of those sororities will try to affiliate with an NPC group and gee, it will be discussed all over greekchat!!! That would be NEAT!

Denise
Old 01-05-2006, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
Re: Re: Questions about documentaries on sorority rush

Quote:
Originally posted by Dee34
Sorority Life focuses on parties and not the whole aspect of sorority life (i.e. philantrophy).