GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,505
1 members and 2,504 guests
John

Old 04-24-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
Also, spending 11k on a dress the day you get engaged is a little insane to me.
Yeah. I've always thought that you should have at least a definite date and location before you purchase a dress. You never know what could end up happening.

Ex: You could run out and buy a huge wintery ballgown the day you get engaged, but end up having to have a summer wedding for whatever reason.

It has also happened that you go out and immediately buy a dress, then something happens and you end up setting a date like 3 years into the future. Chances are, over that timespan you will change your mind (esp. if you are going with a trendier looking dress).

That's how peeps end up with like 2 dresses and trying to figure out how to sell the one they ran out and bought 5 minutes after getting engaged before having any real plans (and have now decided they don't want. lol).

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-24-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-24-2010, 07:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought the pageant girl was a little, hmm, tacky. The dress she was in love with was, in my opinion, "sluttish". I was surprised how her mom and step dad were ready to pop out the credit card. Although I do question Camille, she understood that the bride was torn between what she wanted and what her friends were saying, we've seen that Pnina does that dress with a long skirt, why didn't Camille put her in the dress with the long skirt? That probably would have been the "happy medium" that she kept talking about in her voice overs.

As for the bride who came to "try on dresses" before she was engaged, yeah spending 11K on a dress is crazy, at least to me.

My mom and I would watch the show when I was home and she likes some of their dresses and has told me that she would totally take me there and let me try dresses on, but my cap would be like 2500-3000 (at the absolute most). Having searched their stock online, I have found quite a few dresses I like in the 1500-3000 price range.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-24-2010, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I recently discovered this show because reruns come on when I am at the gym after work, and have recently become a little obsessed with it!
I thought the pageant girl was acting really skanky. I just don't get why she wanted to be "sexy". I think on your wedding day, you should look elegant and ladylike (or at least appropriate), not like a hooker. I just couldn't wrap my head around her wanting to look like that.
That dress that the girl that just got engaged was absolutely gorgeous, but I would never pay 11K for a dress.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Were the 11K dress girl and the pageant girl different people?

I have been informed (and will be able to confirm when I actually see it myself) that 11K dress girl is a member from my chapter.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I recorded that show last night and just watched it - my 18 y.o. son was in the room and he said of the short dress "I'd be pissed off if the girl I was going to marry showed up in that!"
Old 04-24-2010, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I like to watch this show just like I watch the Kardashians...I don't take it seriously. I can't fathom spending $11,000 on a dress. I guess if you have an unlimited budget, whatever...but of the girls I know who have spent extraordinary amounts of money on their weddings, just about all of them didn't actually have enough money to be doing so. Whatever happened to being happy about being husband and wife? I don't get the need for thousands of dollars and huge productions.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 04-24-2010, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Watching the episode now - it most definitely is my chapter sister. Good for her.

LOL and Gem is an ASA.

Last edited by agzg; 04-24-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
When that girl said something along the line of: this dress isn't Pam Anderson, I knew she was off her rocker. She wasn't looking for sexy! She was looking for common whore. Who wants to emulate Pam Anderson? Has anyone seen her lately?

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 04-24-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
When that girl said something along the line of: this dess isn't Pam Andreson, I knew she was off her rocker. She wasn't looking for sexy! She was looking for common whore. Who wants to emulate Pam Anderson? Has anyone seen her lately?
If she wanted to be Pam she could've saved money and bought a white bikini.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 04-24-2010, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Were the 11K dress girl and the pageant girl different people?

I have been informed (and will be able to confirm when I actually see it myself) that 11K dress girl is a member from my chapter.
Yes, they were two different girls.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I thought the pageant girl was a little, hmm, tacky. The dress she was in love with was, in my opinion, "sluttish". I was surprised how her mom and step dad were ready to pop out the credit card. Although I do question Camille, she understood that the bride was torn between what she wanted and what her friends were saying, we've seen that Pnina does that dress with a long skirt, why didn't Camille put her in the dress with the long skirt? That probably would have been the "happy medium" that she kept talking about in her voice overs.

As for the bride who came to "try on dresses" before she was engaged, yeah spending 11K on a dress is crazy, at least to me.

My mom and I would watch the show when I was home and she likes some of their dresses and has told me that she would totally take me there and let me try dresses on, but my cap would be like 2500-3000 (at the absolute most). Having searched their stock online, I have found quite a few dresses I like in the 1500-3000 price range.
Yes, the pageant girl's short dress was so tacky and gross...I mean, as long as she's happy with her decision, but I've seen homecoming dresses in the discount section of Macy*s that looked better than that...

And the girl with the 11K dress lost her damn mind. I hope she didn't really buy it. It was a beautiful dress, but it wasn't worth spending the amount of a compact car on it.

And also, I don't understand the point of going in a store like Kleinfelds if you're not absolutely ready to buy. To go in not engaged or just engaged or with a date not even set seems really silly to me.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Having searched their stock online, I have found quite a few dresses I like in the 1500-3000 price range.
This. I've found that most of the dresses I like are 1500 and under, but that also has to do with the fact that I'm not looking for a foofy ball gown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
I can't fathom spending $11,000 on a dress.
Also this. My fiance is already giving me the side eye because my max for a dress is $1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanMami0286 View Post
And the girl with the 11K dress lost her damn mind. I hope she didn't really buy it. It was a beautiful dress, but it wasn't worth spending the amount of a compact car on it.

And also, I don't understand the point of going in a store like Kleinfelds if you're not absolutely ready to buy. To go in not engaged or just engaged or with a date not even set seems really silly to me.
IMO, those are the girls that typically want to have a wedding just so they can WAL and have a huge party, and not have a wedding to get married to the one they love.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Just finished watching.

Honestly. If the words "this could be a down payment on a house" come out of your mouth, you need to take a step back. That was girl was insane for spending $11,000 (not to mention going to shop before even being engaged).
Old 04-24-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
IMO, those are the girls that typically want to have a wedding just so they can WAL and have a huge party, and not have a wedding to get married to the one they love.
Ding, ding!

What's the point of the wedding anyway? To show off how much you're winning at life, duh.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-24-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're marrying the guy you want to be married to, you're "already winning at life", duh.

There are awesome dresses out there and not a penny over $3K at most. My daughter looked at everything from Monique L' what's her name for $11K to David's Bridal for $1,000 and ended up with a fabulous gown from a Spanish designer for $2K - in 2008. In fact she and her husband and wedding party are part of the advertisement for the photographer -

Of course, it helps that she is a cutie...