GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,272
2 members and 2,270 guests
flirt5721

Old 10-22-2008, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

too old?

So im 23 years old. Ive been out of school for 2 years and i am goin to a different school in the state this spring. I didnt rush when I was at my first school. It was for various reasons. I was in a major that was way too time consuming and I already had an established group of friends. But at this new school, I dont know anyone and im an extremly social guy.

I was wondering if you guys think 23 is too old to rush. im only technically a junior so i still have some time in school. And to be honest, the whole age difference doesnt bother me at all. I get along with everyone i meet no matter what there age is.

the particular fraternity that i want to rush just got rechartered, so all of their members are juniors anyways.

I was just wondering if you guys got a 23 year old guy who wanted to start fresh, meet new people and have a good time, would you accept him?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-23-2008, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

A good friend of mine served 4 years in the military right out of high school, then came back at age 22 and went to college. He rushed at age 24 and was accepted into his chapter with open arms, then was active until he graduated at 27. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know his experience was positive.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I know a guy who was in exactly your position. Rushed first semester of his junior year after taking about two years off after high school and transferring right after his sophomore year. The guys were cool with it (age ain't nuthin' but a number!) and if the chapter just got rechartered, chances are they'll be looking for as many guys as they can get so as to regain whatever standing they had prior to losing their charter.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

If the chapter just got rechartered and most of their guys are juniors, they may be hesitant to take an older guy because they will be graduating alot of guys in that year and will be looking to take younger guys who are going to be the next generation in the chapter.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Since NIC/IFC fraternities do not have quota or total to worry about, *and* because this is a re-charter, your class status or age should not matter. Fitting in with the current members, of course, will.