GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,184
0 members and 1,184 guests
No Members online

Old 07-09-2008, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment at Mizzou

I'm an incoming freshman at Mizzou, and I was wondering if anyone could provide general information of Greek Life there (negatives and positives). I'm not quite 100 % sure on rushing, and I still have to convince my parents why I should rush and join a sorority. Any advice is welcome!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:16 AM
Unregistered-

I imagine no one's really going to give you anything negative about any of the houses at Mizzou, especially on GreekChat. There are several Mizzou alums, advisors, and other members familiar with Greek Life there, so hopefully they'll chime in and let you know how it's like.

If you haven't done so already, a search on Mizzou might bring up rush threads from past rushes. A quick Google brought up this: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=95478 -- she's a transfer and incoming sophomore, but the advice given there might be useful.

The General Advice thread stickied at the top of the Sorority Recruitment forum is a valuable resource as well. Pay close attention to the part about Recommendations. Recs are important things to have, and even though some PNMs might have received bids without them, that's not always the case.

Best of luck to you!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know much about recruitment at Mizzou, so sorry, I don't have advice. I do know that Greek life there is very strong, so strong that they infact welcomed Sigma Sigma Sigma to begin a colony there. They will participate in the first night of recruitment there, and then, after formal recruitment has concluded, do their own recruitment (hmm...how many times can you use the word recruitment in one sentence). Good luck finding the advice you need!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I understand, Mizzou is a bit more competitive than KU when it comes to sororities. That means it's quite competitive. If you have good grades and activities and can get recommendations for each house, then you should go for it. A strong system like that has a lot of campus connections to offer you, and should be filled with plenty of quality people who have a lot of fun.

And definitely check out the threads mentioned above.

PS, one of my really good friends is rushing at Mizzou this year. I'm so excited for her!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Mizzou has a very competitive recruitment. There are 14 houses and each take a new member class of around 60-75. Last year about 1200 participated in recruitment. Grades are very important as well as activities. Sororities are not for everyone, but greek life at Mizzou is very rewarding. It was a huge part of my life and now a huge part of my own children's lives there. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:55 PM

At Mizzou, recommendations are a must, if you're rushing this fall, I would suggest getting those together now.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an active at Mizzou, and I check this from time to time in the summer. Start getting your recs together, and feel free to pm me if you have any questions
Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

also this from last year: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ghlight=mizzou
Old 07-13-2008, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mizzou12
No recs!?!

I am going to be a freshman at Mizzou and I'm really nervous about it. I only have one rec letter. The trouble is, I don't know too many upperclassmen at Mizzou. I feel so awkward asking girls I don't even know to write me a rec letter because I don't want them to think I'm using them or something or just being fake to only benefit myself. The truth is I am just really worried because all of my friends are talking about how they have 7,8,9 rec letters. Any ideas?!
Old 07-13-2008, 01:25 AM

Recommendations are typically written by sorority alumnae and not active members (depending on the sorority of course). This thread has a good section on recs and how to go about getting them:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

There's also this thread that is all about recs, read as much of it as you can:

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=48462

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-13-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

AAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!! WELCOME TO MIZZOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

[i get excited]
Old 07-15-2008, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an active at mizzou, and while recs are important, if you don't have any or very few, if you have a good resume (ie, the stuff you put on your recruitment application) and grades, it shouldn't be a problem. I know girls in every chapter who didn't have recs for their particular chapter. I also know girls who got released from chapters where they had multiple recs.

Recruitment at mizzou is VERY intense, but you have to realize that it's a midwestern school so there are a LOT of PNMs who don't really know what's going on.

Overall, greek life at mizzou is great, and I'd recommend it to anyone. PM me if you have questions!

ETA:
as for reasons to join a sorority (to tell your parents):
- have them check out the parent section of the Greek Life web page, it provides a lot of parent-friendly information
- Greek life makes the campus seem SOOO much smaller
- You get to know LOTS of people (Networking for later in life) that will be your friends forever
- You get to be involved in some of the oldest traditions on campus more than non-greeks (ie, homecoming)
- Your sophomore year you get to live in a nice mansion for not much more than the cost of living in a dorm, with cooks, maids, and a house mom instead of being on your own in a gross apartment
- Sororities women have higher GPAs than non-sorority women -- and sororities are GREAT study resources with study groups, hours, and old note files
- Sororities make college a lot more "home-y"

Last edited by alrphimu; 07-15-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: re-read OP
Old 08-12-2008, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mizzou12
thanks to everyone that helped me out! I realized that actives can't write recs (I feel kinda dumb about that one...hehe)And I contacted everyone I knew and came up with about 10 recs across 5 sororites. I AM SO EXCITED TO RUSH AT MIZZOU. I have all my outfits together and I'm prepared with an open mind. I am totally conditioned myself to go in with an open mind and I'm not going to listen to any stereotypes. I am so excited to be a part of a sisterhood and meet amazing people!! So whoever is a part of the Mizzou Greek Community: I'm SO excited and can't wait to meet you!!!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou12 View Post
I AM SO EXCITED TO RUSH AT MIZZOU. I have all my outfits together and I'm prepared with an open mind. I am totally conditioned myself to go in with an open mind and I'm not going to listen to any stereotypes. I am so excited to be a part of a sisterhood and meet amazing people!! So whoever is a part of the Mizzou Greek Community: I'm SO excited and can't wait to meet you!!!
A wonderful attitude. Good luck to you!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm guessing we are going to be seeing alot of these schools open for expansion soon.