GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,076
0 members and 1,076 guests
No Members online

Old 08-25-2015, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a senior? Is it even possible?

Hello,

I am currently a senior. Rushing has always been in the back of mind since I started college, but some past struggles and missed opportunities have prevented me from doing so. My question is is it worthwhile to rush as a senior? To me, it seems a bit awkward as chapters usually would want freshmen PNMs who can share a college experience tgoether and help the chapter grow. As for grades and extra-curriculars, I'm not sure if I'm up to par with sorority standards. I've struggled with social anxiety since coming to college, so I'm not involved anything. Only recently have I realized that I need to actively work on my social anxiety. My gut feeling is telling me not to rush (because of the embarrassment of rushing as a senior and limited time in a chapter and perhaps not even getting a bid), but I'm still a little torn. Should I just leave it alone and just focus on graduating? Or should I go through with it? Any advice is welcome. I'm worried this will just all be a hot mess.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:14 PM

Unless you're at a school with an extremely laid back Greek system or an all commuter school, receiving a bid as a senior probably won't happen unless you are quite close to a majority of sisters.

If you wanted to just do it as a way of meeting people and getting used to social situations, you could, but the problem is rush fees can be quite costly, let alone having the wardrobe for it.

Whether or not you rush, get involved in extracurricular activities before you graduate. Try those that have to do with your major as you already have a built-in something to talk about.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
33girl gives you good advice.

If you're struggling with social anxiety, and/or are worried about grades and extracurriculars, rush could be an extreme disappointment for you at most campuses. Unless you have lots of friends among sorority women, you're facing an uphill battle.

As one who (still) struggles with it, let me recommend Toastmasters or similar organizations without grade requirements, where you can learn to be the best you.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you guys! Just the thought of it has been pretty overwhelming, not to mention that I am a senior, and that idea kind of scares me a bit more
Old 09-27-2017, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow this is like my exact situation. Except I rushed twice (once as freshman and once as sophomore). My sophomore year I got dropped by all but one and as someone with social anxiety that whole ordeal was about my worst nightmare. Now I'm a senior with a sorority sized hole in my heart, sad I never fully went for it in college. I would say try it so you have no regret but know that it might not work out.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalala26 View Post
Wow this is like my exact situation. Except I rushed twice (once as freshman and once as sophomore). My sophomore year I got dropped by all but one and as someone with social anxiety that whole ordeal was about my worst nightmare. Now I'm a senior with a sorority sized hole in my heart, sad I never fully went for it in college. I would say try it so you have no regret but know that it might not work out.
This post is more than 2 years old, from 2015. The OP has most likely graduated from college at this point.