GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,078
0 members and 1,078 guests
No Members online

Old 07-15-2002, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

recruitment clothes

Hey ladies, ok, so Im going through recruitment on the other side this fall, and I am wondering about clothes. We have 4 different outfits.

*day 1: black capris, rush t-shirt
*day 2: khaki shorts/capris, chapter letters
*day 3: a solid color summer
dress, and sandals
*day 4: pref night dresses

so...I don't even have a pref. night dress yet, or a solid summer dress (oh, but I have tons of patterened/floral ones )

What do you guys wear? And where can I find a good solid color light dress?!?

Either way, I am very excited and cannot wait to meet all the news girls, and esp. get a little!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-15-2002, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow J.Crew

For the summer dress I would definitely try looking in J.Crew stores. I was in one a few weeks ago and they had awesome sales going on pastel linen dresses... I'm talking like $30 and below for dresses that are usually about $80.

What sort of dress do you need for pref night? Black cocktail, or something else? We have to wear plain black cocktail dresses in my chapter. I bought my dress at Ann Taylor, they usually have very nice, classic dresses (for ladies on both sides of recruitment!)
Old 07-16-2002, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Since we are trying out "No Frills" rush this year, we are not allowed to wear matching outfits. In fact, only 2 sisters can be wearing the exact same shirt, or exact same jean capris or something, or else it's an infraction. I'm pretty sure this is our wardrobe for the week:
Spirit Day: USF themed shirt, jean skirts, sandals
Philanthropy Day - the only day groups of 5 can match: Each group goes out and buys matching shirts of any kind, jean capris, and whatever shoes.
Sisterhood Day: Patterned Skirt, whatever shirt to go with it, dressy shoes, like slides or something.
Prefs: Black cocktail dress, black pantyhose and black shoes. I guess we are technically all allowed to wear the same, even though everyone's will be different.
Bid Day: I guess we can match this day too, Bid Day t-shirts, khaki shorts and black sandals.
Old 07-16-2002, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand that they don't want you all to match in no-frills, but I can just imagine it going too far ... "Hey, did you hear? They're wearing jeans over at the Mu Mu house, and I hear three of the girls are wearing Levi's 501s! Let's tell on them!"

I don't know about your campus store, but it would have impossible at mine to find enough different college-spirit shirts for a whole chapter.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment Clothing!

I think I've FINALLY managed to pull together all of my Recruitment clothing, now all I need is a bit of a tan to go with it...

Ice Waters - Teal shirt from Express, khaki skirt or capris, and teal flowered flipflops from Express.

Philanthropy Day - Red or navy blue capris from Express (I got the red, they're CUTE!), plain white shirt, white strappy sandals with wood or cork sole.

Skit Day - Above-the-knee dress in any print but plaid, in either pastel yellow, pink, or blue with the white strappy sandals from Philanthropy Day. Mine is pink and took me FOREVER to find, but it's pretty cute.

Pref Day - Nice black dress and dressy black shoes.

I've never been thru formal recruitment before, but I'm told this year is VERY strict - we have notes on what jewelery we can wear and what color our toenails have to be! It's been an interesting ride, I don't really understand why we all have to be wearing matching flipflops but OH WELL... I'm still looking forward to meeting a lot of new girls and getting a little sister!
Old 07-17-2002, 10:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
At the colony where I am an advisor, they have a semi-frills rush, but they are no longer allowed to wear matching outfits. SO, they bought the same little polo top, embroidered with letters, but in all DIFFERENT colors, and they were ok'd! Thank god!! It will be so weird to be at a recruitment again!
Old 07-17-2002, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey KerriMarie, so you were told to buy clothes from a specific store (Express obviously)? I have never heard of that before...but I guess it does make it easier to make sure everyone matches!
Old 07-17-2002, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a question...I love Lilly Pulitzer, and where I am from it's worn all the time...but since I have been in Gainesville it seems no one wears Lilly, I was going to wear a pair of Lilly capris but am wondering if the sororities will think I am weird because of how bright they are....

Here is the link to the pattern they are in...

http://www.lauderdalelifestyle.com/i...chools_out.gif
Old 07-19-2002, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMUduke
Hey KerriMarie, so you were told to buy clothes from a specific store (Express obviously)? I have never heard of that before...but I guess it does make it easier to make sure everyone matches!
Yeah, it actually worked pretty well - there were five or six shirts we could choose from, so ladies of different sizes could get the shirt that suited them best, but they'll all be the exact same color. The people who worked at Express knew all about our Recruitment wardrobe before long, and we would go up and ask about red capris or whatever and they knew everything else that we would need!
Old 07-19-2002, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PotentialPledge
Im starting a fraternity on my campus in the fall, and I was wondering if any fraternities anywhere go through this whole outfit thing for rush. I doubt it but you never know. Also does having the same polish on your toes encourage sisterhood? Just wondering.

Matt
Old 07-19-2002, 04:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SoExited@FSU
Exclamation Wow... soooo different!

Not only do we wear similar outfits for rush, we wear all the same style number (3 or 4 choices per day) from all the same line/brand and even have size restrictions! (IE: No one over a size 8 can wear the white capris) It all has to be brand new, with tags- even shoes, and we even wear themed jewelry. Then, of course, there's the whole obligatory highlights, tanning, nails thing too... Guess that's just big southern rush for ya'...
Old 07-19-2002, 04:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SoExited@FSU
Exclamation I forgot Pref!

Oh yeah, and we all buy the same fabric for Pref day, and the same pattern, and have seamstresses make our dresses privately. (There are 3 choices...)
Old 07-19-2002, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
While I was active at FSU it was the same type thing for my chapter as SoExcited mentioned for hers. We were told of a specific stores/color codes/style numbers and were allowed to choose from what was available. Tags had to be on for dress check, etc. With pref dresses it was just an approved black dress (following a variety of specifications) but we didn't have them cut from the same material/pattern.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
We also had to get the EXACT clothes they told us to. They sized us so we wouldn't go too small and then they ordered our clothes for us and then handed them out. We absolutely could not wear the clothes before rush. And no more than one ring per hand, and all jewelry had to match (i.e.: if you wore a silver drop, your rings had better be silver too...no mixing metals. And I always thought the body slimmers and thongs for no pantylines were stupid until I saw groups who didn't bother with that...there were definitely people who looked interesting...
Old 07-19-2002, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

All of you are talking about rush clothes... that's CRAZY! We have no choice. We pay a fee, and our clothes are bought for us (the only exception is first round they buy the same jersey for us, but we have to buy our own khakis, and pref night we just have to wear the same style dress). As far as I know, that's what other sororities do, as well.