GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,282
1 members and 2,281 guests
Tridentia

Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Deleted. Didn't realize DG had already been discussed. Should have read more carefully.

Last edited by DGTess; 08-03-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: remove duplication
Old 08-03-2011, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered- View Post
If a chapter invites a [Alpha Gamma Delta] legacy to Preference, the legacy must be placed on the chapter's first bid list."
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIBrandi View Post
Every [Alpha Omicron Pi] legacy who accepts an invitation to the chapter's final party (Preference) must be named on the chapter's QUOTA LIST (also known as first bid list).
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Tri-D View Post
A [Delta Delta Delta] legacy must be invited to one party and must be put on the first bid list if she makes it to pref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychTau View Post
If the [Alpha Sigma Tau] legacy attends the preference party, she must be placed within the chapter's first bid list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
If the [Delta Phi Epsilon] legacy is invited to preference, she must be placed first on the final bid list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
If a [Alpha Epsilon Phi] legacy is invited to pref, she must be on the first bid list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
I'd like to add that if a Delta Zeta legacy is invited to preference parties, she must be put first on the bid list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHoney View Post
If she is at [Kappa Delta] preference, she is placed 1st on the bid list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Any [Alpha Phi] legacy at pref must be placed on the first bid list.
===
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I also don't understand how a legacy could be guaranteed placement on the first bid list. Does that mean a chapter can't invite too many legacies to pref?
Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what it means. We never had a problem with it since we never had more than 5 legacies go through, but we definitely thought more about the legacies in MS since we knew we HAD to cut them before pref or not at all.
So without getting into membership selection, if in theory there are more legacies (that everyone simply LOVES ) than potential bids/spaces, then the “first bid list” would need to be done – in theory – prior to the preference round?
Old 08-03-2011, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
===

So without getting into membership selection, if in theory there are more legacies (that everyone simply LOVES ) than potential bids/spaces, then the “first bid list” would need to be done – in theory – prior to the preference round?
Chapters who have a lot of legacies go through rush are very cognizant of this. You generally have an idea of what quota will be so you can release any legacies you can't take early enough in the process that they can find another match. Luckily, this is only a problem at a select few chapters.

I will say that regardless of the policy, holding a legacy through pref and not giving them a bid is probably the worst way to handle a legacy situation. Talk about World War 3!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 08-03-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to say that I am really uncomfortable about this discussion. Do we REALLY want legacy PNMs knowing this policy? I had a younger sister go through rush several years ago. She was a Theta legacy, but I specifically did NOT tell her about what that meant at the pref round. How crappy would that have been of me to ruin her anticipation & the thrill of opening the envelope at Bid Day? That memory is one of my favorites in my sorority experience.

Having the information that if they (a legacy) are invited back to pref, they are all but guaranteed a bid to that chapter is not information that I really think they should have... just my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb By george I think I get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Chapters who have a lot of legacies go through rush are very cognizant of this. You generally have an idea of what quota will be so you can release any legacies you can't take early enough in the process that they can find another match. Luckily, this is only a problem at a select few chapters.

I will say that regardless of the policy, holding a legacy through pref and not giving them a bid is probably the worst way to handle a legacy situation. Talk about World War 3!
So to avoid World War 3, a chapter – in theory – "should" only invite back to the preference round the number of legacies that they can “guarantee” a spot on their first bid list.

I now “get it” why so many legacies must be / are released prior to a preference round at chapters where more legacies go through than possible bids.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:15 PM

Exactly. At some places, keeping everyone would equate to an entire class of legacies.

This is why it's important for legacies (and their parents/sisters/etc.) to understand that being a legacy doesn't = a guaranteed bid.

Yes, the policy may state that Patty needs to go on whatever bid list if she makes it to Preference, but due to the volume of legacies at many schools, Patty may not even make it that far.

Any PNM (or PNM's parent) reading this NEEDS to understand that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

i do not believe that the legacy policy that kansas state u. has listed for ZTA is correct, unless there was a revision made during our last convention a summer ago.

at some places there would be more legacies than slots for new members, even if they dropped every girl that was not a legacy.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I have to say that I am really uncomfortable about this discussion. Do we REALLY want legacy PNMs knowing this policy? I had a younger sister go through rush several years ago. She was a Theta legacy, but I specifically did NOT tell her about what that meant at the pref round. How crappy would that have been of me to ruin her anticipation & the thrill of opening the envelope at Bid Day? That memory is one of my favorites in my sorority experience.

Having the information that if they (a legacy) are invited back to pref, they are all but guaranteed a bid to that chapter is not information that I really think they should have... just my 2 cents worth.
For what it's worth, all of this information is available on the public websites of the GLOs. If the PNMs wanted to know this, they could look there just as easily as looking here. I knew when I went through that if I made it to pref, AOII had to take me. What that really means, though is that if I made it to pref, AOII wanted me. At that point, it was my decision if I wanted to accept their bid.

AOII

Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
For what it's worth, all of this information is available on the public websites of the GLOs. If the PNMs wanted to know this, they could look there just as easily as looking here. I knew when I went through that if I made it to pref, AOII had to take me. What that really means, though is that if I made it to pref, AOII wanted me. At that point, it was my decision if I wanted to accept their bid.
The Theta web site has LOTS of pages, but I cannot find any kind of information on the membership selection process or who is placed where on a bid list on pages that the public can access. Maybe I am uncomfortable with making this kind of information public is because Theta does not do it. I looked, but I could still be wrong about the web site!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I had the same thought, but I was able to find Alpha Phi's policy online just as Jen wrote it.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
The Theta web site has LOTS of pages, but I cannot find any kind of information on the membership selection process or who is placed where on a bid list on pages that the public can access. Maybe I am uncomfortable with making this kind of information public is because Theta does not do it. I looked, but I could still be wrong about the web site!
This is all that I found on the public portions of the site:

Quote:
What is a "Legacy"?

A Theta legacy is defined as a daughter, granddaughter, great-granddaughter, or sister of a Kappa Alpha Theta. Stepdaughters, step granddaughters, step great-granddaughters, and stepsisters are considered legacies if their family considers them as such and if the family asks that they be considered as such on the legacy introduction form (located to the right). These women deserve special consideration.
There is no such thing as an indirect legacy (i.e., cousin, niece, etc.), and such persons are not given special consideration. However, we recognize that they may have special knowledge of and interest in Kappa Alpha Theta and are warmly welcomed and recruited.
Therefore, publicly, our site only mentions "special consideration" with regards to legacies.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
This is all that I found on the public portions of the site:

Therefore, publicly, our site only mentions "special consideration" with regards to legacies.
Well then, I agree that your information shouldn't be listed as such. Makes you wonder where that came from.

AOII

Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
i bet these relatives throw a big fit when they receive a call that their legacy is cut. or do they not care?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznSAE View Post
i bet these relatives throw a big fit when they receive a call that their legacy is cut. or do they not care?
It depends.

AOII

Old 08-04-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznSAE View Post
Quote:
It depends.
A pretty accurate formula:

The size of the bitch that an alumna pitches if her legacy is cut is often inversely proportionate to the amount of time/involvement she has put into her chapter/national org since leaving college.

In other words, if she's stayed involved and realizes that just because the chapter/org was a fit for her, doesn't mean it and her daughter are a match, she's more likely to understand. Women who have not had any part in rush or membership selection for 20 years have a very rose-colored view of what it used to be like.