GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,539
2 members and 2,537 guests
Xidelt

Old 11-08-2006, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

starting a new sorority

I have been a member in a social sorority and a service sorority...each of which I found something lacking. Friends from each and I have decided to start a new sorority all together...any comments ideas etc?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

What was lacking? And don't tell me. "Sisterhood." That wonderful intangible of intangibles. Joining a sorority doesn't entitle you to instant best friend status with every member, not every member will always agree with everyone else and quite frankly, you're not going to love everyone all of the time.

Starting a local is a lot of work and effort, and in the end-- you are only at college for 4 years. You will get a lot more out of joining and being a part of established activities, especially when as an upperclassman your focus turns from social events to interships, grad school applications and paying the bills.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Just know going in that you're in for an uphill battle-- competing with existing sororities and campus organizations, one another's schedules, starting from scratch and trying to recruit and retain overprogrammed members who are busy with school, lives and other campus activities.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

DO A SEARCH

This question has been asked 1654654321 times.

If you need more help then that, ask more spesfic questions. You'll find that people here put as much effort into answering the question as the asker puts into asking the question.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
What was lacking? And don't tell me. "Sisterhood." That wonderful intangible of intangibles. Joining a sorority doesn't entitle you to instant best friend status with every member, not every member will always agree with everyone else and quite frankly, you're not going to love everyone all of the time.

Starting a local is a lot of work and effort, and in the end-- you are only at college for 4 years. You will get a lot more out of joining and being a part of established activities, especially when as an upperclassman your focus turns from social events to interships, grad school applications and paying the bills.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Just know going in that you're in for an uphill battle-- competing with existing sororities and campus organizations, one another's schedules, starting from scratch and trying to recruit and retain overprogrammed members who are busy with school, lives and other campus activities.
I dont agree with that "you are only at college for 4 years. You will get a lot more out of joining and being a part of established activities". I am a part of an NPHC sorority and we believe in sisterhood for life. We believe in being an active, productive member of your sorority for life. What kind of sisterhood is only serious for four years? Give me a break. If she wants to start a new sorority then that is her choice. Not everyone wants that NPC/CPC experience. Maybe what she is looking for is a true sisterhood that will last a lifetime and if so I applaud her on that.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by priss22 View Post
I dont agree with that "you are only at college for 4 years. You will get a lot more out of joining and being a part of established activities". I am a part of an NPHC sorority and we believe in sisterhood for life. We believe in being an active, productive member of your sorority for life. What kind of sisterhood is only serious for four years? Give me a break. If she wants to start a new sorority then that is her choice. Not everyone wants that NPC/CPC experience. Maybe what she is looking for is a true sisterhood that will last a lifetime and if so I applaud her on that.
That was not ADPiUCF's point. Her point was, it takes an assload of work to start a local, considering you only have about 4 years to get it firmly established. If you start as a freshman, then you have more time-but starting this kind of thing on a whim and not realizing the amount of effort it's going to take is just silly.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 11-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Priss22, as a Life Member of my own sorority, I understand your post. However, when it comes to newly founded local sororities, there's just not that tradition of continuity backing them up.

Audrasue, what I would advise is that you and one of the other women interested contact your Greek Advisor. S/He will have a better handle on what would be right for YOUR school, in a way which would benefit everyone. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know too much about starting a new one. But my question is, what kind of sorority you have in mind? As others put it well, it will be a tough battle to start one, esp when you're active in two already.

Why not try to make the best out of your own sorority by taking active roles? Also since your friends are in another service org, why not invite them to rush for your sorority?

But of course, nothing can be forced, if you feel that starting a new one would be best for you and your friends, then go ahead. Good luck!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrasue View Post
I have been a member in a social sorority and a service sorority...each of which I found something lacking. Friends from each and I have decided to start a new sorority all together...any comments ideas etc?

First off, you did not mention what type of Sorority.

Was it a local or a National?

If a local, even though you have been in a service organization then you can persue your idea of founding another group.

If National then there is a problem. If so, were you initiated?

Then, if there is still interest as was advised, check with the Greek Adviser of the school.

If this is a go, then if you wish to affiliate with National, then check them out for expansion.

A lot depends on the size of campus (Student population), how many other Nationals are located there and the mix of male and female Organizations.

It will take a lot of hard work. But, it will be one of the most rewarding things in your life.

Voice of experience here.

The very best of luck.

If you wish to discuss more, PM me.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-10-2006, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that something like starting a new org takes a lot of thought... and even more time. You have to consider everything that is involved. Do you have the time to do this? Will this org be able to attract QUALITY members? Do you have the funds to do things like recruit, have events and also pay for incorporation, trademarking and things like that as they become necessary. I am not trying to discourage you, just want to let you know what you are up against.