GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 974
0 members and 974 guests
No Members online

Old 05-28-2010, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyball29 View Post
Excuse you but it really doesn't matter if you are a legacy if you are going to some chapter far away. You are no different than the other girls there. It only matters if you are going through the chapter where your family went and people actually knew them. I know my chapter likes recs from local people not some Jane Doe in Walla Walla Washington. That is your opinion not mine. I have family in several states around me and I have already sent my letters off with my picture and transcripts. I didn't have Aunt Beth write a rec bc she didn't go to my chapter so I chose my neighbor.
If the original poster has a sister who may have been attending Washington State University, Jane Doe from Walla Walla may be the heiress to the Walla Walla Onion fortune and have attended Wazzu. Or perhaps, someone could move after college, it does happen.

I also hate it when onion trucks overturn on the interstate, it really stinks and our potato farm doesn't need to be smelling like onions, sick.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-28-2010, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 05-28-2010, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How am I ill informed? I think I know better than you if my mother has been to a semi-formal or formal. There are even dads there also. It isn't a drunk slutfest like you might be use to, these are classy.
If I may. Perhaps it is a Southern thing, but in volleyball29's defense, my Mother's and Sister's chapter has a Founder's Day Formal that is attended by actives and alumnae.

We have many official photos - the kind that has the chapter, date etc. on the bottom - as well as family photos of it. I remember these well.

But for what it is worth, I am fairly confident that at no time it was a drunk slutfest. At least I hope not.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am Molly and I am part of the class of 2014! It feels good to be a Freshman again!
Good Golly Miss Molly!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
If I may. Perhaps it is a Southern thing, but in volleyball29's defense, my Mother's and Sister's chapter has a Founder's Day Formal that is attended by actives and alumnae.

We have many official photos - the kind that has the chapter, date etc. on the bottom - as well as family photos of it. I remember these well.

But for what it is worth, I am fairly confident that at no time it was a drunk slutfest. At least I hope not.
Stop trying to bring your logic into the crazy.

ETA: I did not put that little warning sign there. *pokes it*
Old 05-28-2010, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Stop trying to bring your logic into the crazy.

ETA: I did not put that little warning sign there. *pokes it*
Ha! Sorry about that.

I should add that at no time did any high school girl - legacy or not - attend the Founders' Day formal. My sister was not allowed to attend until after she joined the chapter.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There are a lot of alum women at the events. They are invited to everything except mixers. My mom went to last years bid party, where they welcome the new girls in, at a hotel. This is my opinion and it might not be your opinion but think about what I am saying before you reply with such witty remarks or trifling ones.

I just don't think being a legacy is important if it isn't your legacy chapter. Michigan State is not gonna like her more for being a legacy. She is just another girl like the rest. I think being a legacy matters when it is a place that you can build a connection on it. A place that you can make friends that had family that was sisters with your family members. In my opinion going to Michigan State as a legacy means nothing because she can't point to a composite of someone that the chapter has met. With the rec letters I just would rather reassure myself with women that went to that chapter than someone from another chapter. That chapter woman has similar interest as me and best can describe why I fit that chapter not someone who lives in Alaska. If you are from Hawaii and wear grass skirts going to Michigan State where they were parkas and hunt bear you aren't gonna be like them even if you are a legacy.
You are so beyond being an idiot. Your opinions do not matter. Either you're an incoming freshmen who thinks she knows it all or a liar and fake. Either way you can stomp your feet and scream but it won't change the fact that you're wrong.

Go run and tell mommy or something. The grownups had this handled before you showed.

Last edited by Drolefille; 05-28-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There are a lot of alum women at the events. They are invited to everything except mixers. My mom went to last years bid party, where they welcome the new girls in, at a hotel. This is my opinion and it might not be your opinion but think about what I am saying before you reply with such witty remarks or trifling ones.

I just don't think being a legacy is important if it isn't your legacy chapter. Michigan State is not gonna like her more for being a legacy. She is just another girl like the rest. I think being a legacy matters when it is a place that you can build a connection on it. A place that you can make friends that had family that was sisters with your family members. In my opinion going to Michigan State as a legacy means nothing because she can't point to a composite of someone that the chapter has met. With the rec letters I just would rather reassure myself with women that went to that chapter than someone from another chapter. That chapter woman has similar interest as me and best can describe why I fit that chapter not someone who lives in Alaska. If you are from Hawaii and wear grass skirts going to Michigan State where they were parkas and hunt bear you aren't gonna be like them even if you are a legacy.
What you think and what is true are two very different things. Try not to give out advice until you actually know something about membership recruitment...and that would mean you are actually a member.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-28-2010, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
alumna women
What about the alumna men?

Old 05-28-2010, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can name several girls that I am friends with from different sororities that have family at formal as well as many alumna women. Is my friend's 26 year old sister to old to go when she graduated 2 years ago? It must just be a southern thing, if you aren't currently in that sorority or from the south, don't tell me what your chapter did or what you think the southern chapters rules are about attendance.
Oh so you're from the south. So why are you talking about Michigan again? Because you're ignorant? That's what I thought.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
What about the alumna men?
Like, duh. She said there were like totally dads there too!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would be a major failure
Fixed it.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Like, duh. She said there were like totally dads there too!
OMG OMG FUN! Moms AND dads at Greek functions!??!?

Quote:
I know when my sister went to her first formal and she was presented my father was there. I like your joke but men can not be alumna only alumni of a Fraternity.
You're as dumb as a bag of shit.

Last edited by knight_shadow; 05-28-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: got a little apostrophe happy
Old 05-28-2010, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
OMG OMG FUN! Mom's AND dad's at Greek functions!??!?

You're as dumb as a bag of shit.
You're insulting the bag of shit.

ETA: ha ha caught your typos and I'm not changing it
Old 05-28-2010, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can name several girls that I am friends with from different sororities that have family at formal as well as many alumna women. Is my friend's 26 year old sister to old to go when she graduated 2 years ago? It must just be a southern thing, if you aren't currently in that sorority or from the south, don't tell me what your chapter did or what you think the southern chapters rules are about attendance.
Yes
Um...I'm from a southern chapter, and I can assure you that alumnae do NOT routinely attend formal events with their children. Advisors/chaperones may attend, but unless it's a specific event FOR alumnae, you won't see alumnae crashing a chapter's formal. We did have Rose Ball and our parents attended so that our fathers could present us as new initiates, but that is completely different.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!