GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,403
0 members and 2,403 guests
No Members online

Old 07-03-2007, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
I wasn't thinking about anything THAT insignificant. Serious concerns. I wont go into detail because I'm talking about a "supposed" hypothetical situation. But if it were a serious enough concern, I would think that an active chapter president who could speak more from experience in this kind of situation would have more leverage than an alum who had the "he said she said" side of the story, ya know?
I understand. I was just spesifying. I don't know why everyone feels the need to be so "Formal" with their own sisters when it comes to rush. It's not a rush infraction for you to call/email your sisters at the chapter across the state and warn them that Patty PNM curses like a sailor, gets drunk 8 times a week, does drugs, etc... A rec form would probably be the most helpful, though, as it would be filed with all of the other rush info.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Amanda6035,

I think, in that situation, it's not going to matter too much who it comes from as long as it can be established that it's true.

Although some of us require formal recs for a girl to join, it doesn't mean that we consider only formal recs when we drop.

I think it would matter what you knew and how you knew it.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 07-03-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
If you are going to give specifics, you should not do it in writing, for liability reasons. Call the other chapter and tell them what you know.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
If you are going to give specifics, you should not do it in writing, for liability reasons. Call the other chapter and tell them what you know.
This is good general advice.

I'd say this, though, if you'd be hesitant to write it down for any reason, you might want to think very carefully about whether it's worth making a call.

People can sue you for slander as much as they can for libel. (Of course writing it down does make it easier for them to prove that you did actually say it.)

So, while we all want to make sure that we help other chapters avoid crazy or evil people, give some thought to what you actually say or write.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
This is good general advice.

I'd say this, though, if you'd be hesitant to write it down for any reason, you might want to think very carefully about whether it's worth making a call.

People can sue you for slander as much as they can for libel. (Of course writing it down does make it easier for them to prove that you did actually say it.)

So, while we all want to make sure that we help other chapters avoid crazy or evil people, give some thought to what you actually say or write.
You're right about this....but it can also go both ways Especially when Crazy PNM send you messages on facebook saying "I'm officially an XYZ" now and then turns around and says "I'm going through 'rush' at state U in the fall."

Hah. In my "hypothetical" situation, I wouldnt have to write an explanation. I could just print a facebook conversation and it'd tell it's own story. Cant get me for slander for something Crazy PNM said.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
You're right about this....but it can also go both ways Especially when Crazy PNM send you messages on facebook saying "I'm officially an XYZ" now and then turns around and says "I'm going through 'rush' at state U in the fall."

Hah. In my "hypothetical" situation, I wouldnt have to write an explanation. I could just print a facebook conversation and it'd tell it's own story. Cant get me for slander for something Crazy PNM said.
And actually, I think I'd handle it just like that. I'd either send a link to someone in the chapter if the message is still up or send a printout. Maybe with a note to the effect that while you can't be completely sure of it's veracity, that you thought the chapter should look into it a little further.

But DeltaBetaBaby has had a lot more real life experience with this and there actually are lawyers and law students who read this site; maybe they can explain why that would be an even bigger problem.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 07-04-2007 at 11:16 AM.