GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,234
0 members and 1,234 guests
No Members online

Old 09-17-2017, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
They did that at Arkansas when I was there; they had bed rush, so called because quota was how many beds a group had available before rush. And then the pledges could move right in.

If you didn't get a bid, you had to go stand in a long line at the housing office and apply for one of the worst dorms and move right into one of those, as the best ones had been filled up months before.
Well, that would certainly be an incentive to happily and gratefully accept the bid you are offered!
Old 09-17-2017, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Well, the problem was that with bed rush, less than half the rushees were placed. I have a yearbook from the seventies in which it said something like 838 girls rushed and 353 got bids.

I knew several women who had perfect rushes up until the last day, including their 2 favorites for prefs--and no bid. This group included my roommate, a legacy to one of her pref groups, and one of the other cheerleaders.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Titchou,

Wonder if we shared the same House Director? Just saying, it's hard.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Waaay back in 1950 when my dad was at MIT, this is the way fraternities did it. The men were in temporary housing when they arrived and moved into the houses on bid day. I know not everyone went through fraternity rush but most did.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
Titchou,

Wonder if we shared the same House Director? Just saying, it's hard.
Maybe if it was in California - truly they smoke a different kind of crack there!!
Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Waaay back in 1950 when my dad was at MIT, this is the way fraternities did it. The men were in temporary housing when they arrived and moved into the houses on bid day. I know not everyone went through fraternity rush but most did.
That was still true in the 1990s when I was at MIT. All freshmen were given temporary housing in the dorms. Fraternity, sorority, independent living group, and dorm rush happened simultaneously. (ILGs are comparable to coed GLOs, but one (WILG) is all female and another (Student House) is only open to those who can demonstrate financial hardship.)

Yes, we had dorm rush. You were temped in one of the undergrad dorms, and during rush you were supposed to visit all the dorms and rank them. Every dorm had its own culture. You were then matched to one of the dorms. If you pledged a fraternity or ILG, your dorm assignment was irrelevant, because you moved into the house the moment you signed. If you pledged a sorority - only one sorority (out of 4 NPCs, a local, and an NPHC sorority) had a house when I rushed, and there weren't enough beds for the sisters, never mind new members, so you spent your freshman year in a dorm, so dorm rush was a must. If you were interested in joining a fraternity or ILG, again, dorm rush was a must, in case you didn't get a bid, or got a bid but chose to decline it.

MIT has since changed the rules. Freshmen can pledge FSILGs but must spend their freshman year living in an on-campus dorm.

Last edited by aephi alum; 09-17-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
Wow, never heard of this set-up. Where are the actives living? And where do the PNMs live during rush?

Seems odd given that you can't predict who gets a bid and who doesn't.
The PNMs stay at Haggett Hall, on campus, during Rush. As has been stated, they move into the chapter houses on bid day; many of the houses have sleeping porches. New members, including Freshman, of fraternities can also live-in their first year, so most of them moved into their chapter houses this weekend. In fact, most fraternity chapters require new members to live-in their first year, at least.

Sorry to hear about your niece; hopefully it all works out for the best.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I have heard of moving in on Bid Day. Waaaay back in my time my house had a pledge porch. USC would ok the girls from the dorm contract, refund the money which would go to the sorority. This cleared that way for girls who couldn't afford a dorm and a sorority to join.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

At the University of Tulsa, a NM or 2 (not the whole class) can move from the dorms into the sorority house after receiving a bed with a no penalty -- if there is room. The living quarters on the sorority houses were built by the University (having the living quarters owned by TU was a way to get around a large scholarship endowment that prevented sorority housing). Plus, the rooms/suites are the same for each house, so there's no recruitment advantage as the space/footage are the same.

At UCLA, the entire pledge class used to move into a pledge room (of 14 ppl) immediately after bid day. From info from long-term alumnae who had reunions at the chapter house, I think this stopped in the 1960's or 70's, when most chapters were full before recruitment.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm curious, since we've veered into a discussion I haven't seen before-what happens if a new member for either a fraternity or sorority moves in and then drops during the new member period, or is removed from the chapter?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I'm curious, since we've veered into a discussion I haven't seen before-what happens if a new member for either a fraternity or sorority moves in and then drops during the new member period, or is removed from the chapter?
This happened when I was an active (small school, less than 5 sororities at the time). Our Greek housing was considered on-campus housing just like dorms were. Like others mentioned, if a woman in the dorms chose to move into her chapter house before her dorm contract was up (within 2 weeks of her accepting a bid, I believe) they'd refund the money and send it to the sorority house to pay her housing fee.

When a woman's membership was terminated for any reason while living in house, she was immediately required to move out and find her own place to live. Most often, this occurred at a semester break, when it's easier to find somewhere to stay than in the middle of the semester; however I do remember at least twice we had a woman choose to terminate (not a NM, but a fully initiated collegian) in the middle of a term - both times they chose to keep their plans a secret, moved their stuff out in the middle of the night (one over a holiday weekend when the majority of the school was out of town), and submitted their resignation paperwork after they'd moved out so they wouldn't have to worry about trying to retrieve their belongings. If a woman terminates during the NM period, the same situation applies.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

You get to have a heck of a time evicting them. It's not as easy as one would think which is why NPC groups definitely don't like it. the room contract covers it generally but enforcing it when someone doesn't want to leave is not fun. I've had to help chapters do that when I was our Director of Housing.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You get to have a heck of a time evicting them. It's not as easy as one would think which is why NPC groups definitely don't like it. the room contract covers it generally but enforcing it when someone doesn't want to leave is not fun. I've had to help chapters do that when I was our Director of Housing.
That's hard to understand.. Somebody drops or their membership is terminated, but then they refuse to leave.

Why would they want to stay?! (rhetorical question)

@~/~~~~
Old 09-19-2017, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Because a) they didn't want to be terminated, b) they don't want their parents to know, c) they are cray-cray, etc.,,etc., etc.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Because a) they didn't want to be terminated, b) they don't want their parents to know, c) they are cray-cray, etc.,,etc., etc.
I think option c is probably at least a little part of it no matter the situation.

@~/~~~~