GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,492
2 members and 2,490 guests
No Members online

Old 03-11-2007, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I am going to say this as nicely as I possibly can:

You don't deserve sorority membership.

If the chapter is great in volunteer work, helping the school, helping the community, then guess what?

They're doing their damn job!

Right now, rush and a "paper" process is more than YOU have, now isn't it? They are following the rules of their organization with integrity while you sit on the outside.

You think "rush" is a cakewalk? You think that earning the vote of a chapter is easy? Guess what toots? It ain't. I know PLENTY of "qualified" women who waited ten years or more for an invitation to an alumnae chapter -- women who thought they were shoo-ins as undergrads. Heck, some women COULD have made it, if not for a missing transcript or a delayed postman.

So you think gaining a majority vote is easy.....no, not a simple majority, but sometimes a 2/3 majority? Or even a 3/4 majority?

Good luck. I hope if you DO make it, you wake up and realize how beautiful MIP can be, rather than finding out ways to undermine it. Chicks like you get chapters snatched for being stupid and LOOKING for trouble.

There it is.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-11-2007, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diamond Darlin’
But there is one problem. The active chapter at my school are known as "paper made". I've been informed that paper made means they have not been "MADE"(I'm hoping we all know what this means), they have only went through the RUSH and/or paper process.

Okay, I dont know what that means, I'm not sure if we call it somthing else or i'm having a blonde moment or i'm just not up to par but can you explain that to me in lamens terms pleaze, Sorry to be slow!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Darlin’ View Post
Okay, I dont know what that means, I'm not sure if we call it somthing else or i'm having a blonde moment or i'm just not up to par but can you explain that to me in lamens terms pleaze, Sorry to be slow!
As an NPC member, I've never used/heard it used within the NPC. "Pledging" and "paper" are often associated with NPHC organizations (although I know some other council orgs use it as well) and are used to describe two very different membership intake processes.

Some members are very sensitive about the subject, so my suggestion is to do a search and read up on the terms to get more information.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

One Love,

I have a great idea! Since you're concerned about joining the chapter at your college because they are "paper" why not write a letter to the National President of your desired organization and let them know of your discontent. Be sure to include your real name and permanent address!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody View Post
One Love,

I have a great idea! Since you're concerned about joining the chapter at your college because they are "paper" why not write a letter to the National President of your desired organization and let them know of your discontent. Be sure to include your real name and permanent address!
That is a great idea!
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 03-12-2007, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Darlin’ View Post
But there is one problem. The active chapter at my school are known as "paper made". I've been informed that paper made means they have not been "MADE"(I'm hoping we all know what this means), they have only went through the RUSH and/or paper process.

In a nutshell:
"Paper made" = strictly adhering to the membership intake programs of the NPHC orgs, which, in the late '80s, did away with pledging and hazing.

"Made right" = being a part of a sub rosa ("underground") pledge program which incorporate activities that constitute hazing.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 03-12-2007, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
One Love,

Yeah, good idea
Old 03-12-2007, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylo View Post
If you are more concerned about getting the "respect" of other greeks than you are of being respected by the chapter you are trying to join (and more importantly, of respecting them and the way they run their chapter), I strongly question your motives for wanting to join. Our organizations are lifetime membership service organizations, not tools of social validation for people under 25. The fact that you are ready and willing to put yourself, the chapter, and the organization at risk before even being accepted says that you don't really know or believe that.
Well said soror...
Old 03-13-2007, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
It means not having an actual traditional pledge process. You know, To break it down....HAZING.

I don't attest to know ANYTHING about your organization but...your Founders pledged each other?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're right, and I agree with you, but I just don't think anything should be free. I think everything should be worked for and not given to someone on a silver platter. I think if I skated into Kappa land, I don't think I would love it and appreciate it like I do now. I don't even think I would be close to my sands either. How could I if there was no bonding. I pledged for 16 weeks with these guys and our bond is so tight it's incredible. If we skated in, they would have gone their way, and I would have gone mine, and once I graduated from college, I wouldn't love Kappa the same. How could I, if I didn't work for it. I don't think anyone's life should be at risk where a hostpital is involved but mistakes do happen. It's unfortunate but it does happen.
Sweetie are you a Neo? Or an undergrad? I know people who were on line for two semesters and couldn't tell you who their sands are (and before we get to the big/little line thing it was only three of them) I work with a woman who says she pledged so hard in undergrad she doesn't see the point of being active now. It was just something fun to do in college. Time, sweat and blood don't mean $h!t. Now one could argue she didn't have the right mentality when she applied but she was "made".....REALLY "MADE"
Old 03-13-2007, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
One Love,

LMAO

you r so wrong 4 that
Old 03-15-2007, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I know I am about to get burned at the stake here, but is it so wrong to want to have a process?

I haven't researched it but I am sure there are many threads on here about how active (beyond graduation) made vs. MIP members are, and I'm also sure you have the same thing on both sides - active and inactive members. Really I think it just depends on how down you were from the beginning, irregardless of whether you pledged (or were hazed) or not, but that's off topic...

Is it really so wrong for this girl to want a real process?? To want to feel that sense of accomplishment for doing what at times seems impossible?

To the poster who started this, I'd say - if this particular sorority is what is really in your heart and you can't see yourself doing anything else, then it shouldn't matter how you are brought in. But if the "paper" issue is really an issue for you (this is a personal decision), then find other options.

Have a great night everyone!

*running for the nearest extinguisher*
Old 03-15-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

There is a process, it's called Membership Intake Process. It's just that new process is different from the OLD process.

Things change and the Sorority isn't really interested in potential members that don't understand or accept the NEW process. And as quiet as it's kept, at least for this member who participated in the OLD process, I have no respect for folks who don't follow the NEW process. My eternal love is for the Sorority, not the process of coming into the Sorority. So for all those folks who turn their nose up at the NEW process, let it go, or go somewhere else.

In other words, if someone were to brag about how they had an OLD process in this environment, I'd direct them to just pack up their stuff and send it to the Corporate office as their suspension letter would be appearing shortly.

As a sidenote, in the VERY beginning about 95 years ago, there was NO process. There was no application or letter submission. Membership in UG was similiar to grad, the SORORS invited you.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There is a process, it's called Membership Intake Process. It's just that new process is different from the OLD process.

Things change and the Sorority isn't really interested in potential members that don't understand or accept the NEW process. And as quiet as it's kept, at least for this member who participated in the OLD process, I have no respect for folks who don't follow the NEW process. My eternal love is for the Sorority, not the process of coming into the Sorority. So for all those folks who turn their nose up at the NEW process, let it go, or go somewhere else.

In other words, if someone were to brag about how they had an OLD process in this environment, I'd direct them to just pack up their stuff and send it to the Corporate office as their suspension letter would be appearing shortly.

As a sidenote, in the VERY beginning about 95 years ago, there was NO process. There was no application or letter submission. Membership in UG was similiar to grad, the SORORS invited you.
Well put!
Touche'
Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It means not having an actual traditional pledge process. You know, the way pledging started when fraternities/sororities were originally founded. To break it down....HAZING.
Oh really? The founders of Alpha Delta Pi and Phi Mu hazed? The founders of Sigma Chi and Beta Theta Phi hazed?

Interesting how you know this.