GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,158
3 members and 2,155 guests
LaneSig, Xidelt

Old 11-20-2002, 02:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Question SKJACKEE....

....what school do you attend?
Old 11-20-2002, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skjackee Send a message via Yahoo to skjackee
Thumbs up

UC San Diego....why??
Old 11-20-2002, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

btw

I emailed a few of the chapters I'm interested in to inquire as to whether they will be doing informal rush in january and so far one has responded affirmatively. I will keep you all updated on how it goes..and I'm pretty sure a few other houses will, too, because the house that responded is one of the largest on campus and has a HUGE house.
oh, and GPHIBColonel..i emailed GPhiB, as well! I'll check em out one more time!
Old 11-25-2002, 04:34 AM
GreekChat Member

To skjackee and leilanimoon --I apologize for tardy post but we just installed a brand new computer...it's a Dell dude!! Yay! I love it!! My old one was so slow and cranky!
Anyways, skjackee, I was only curious about where you went to school because I saw you were in LaJolla and my folks live in San Diego -- the Tierra Santa area....I love San Diego!!!!
...and Leilanimoon, I am really happy you will check out the Gamma Phis again Keep us all posted OK?!
Old 11-25-2002, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

thank u so much gphib! uve always been so helpful!

Jennifer
Old 11-26-2002, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Its funny, I have read a lot of the Rush threads and NPC rules as an outsider, a male, a fraternity member that doesn't use your system.

So please correct me if I am wrong, I am outside the box.

The corner stone of NPC operations seems to be Formal Rush and Formal Rush seems to work better at schools with an automatic Greek Draw.

When I say that, I mean there are schools where enough people want to go Greek that the sororities don't have to go out and do all kinds of marketing to attract PNM's.

ITs a literal RUSH, the PNM's herd through and you put on a good show and see how many you can attract. If you have a great reputation you don't even have to work to hard at the show.

These are the schools we are talking about when we say ultra competitive Rush and heavy cutting correct?

Formal Rush doesn't work so well at schools without a strong Greek Draw. Often the recruitment techniques chapters at the smaller schools use are quite different. I know at my school Formal Rush is mostly populated with people that have been kind of asked to come out. Recruited.

Ok the NPC model, in my understanding, is a flawed example of created economics.

The point seems to make it so that each house can stay at total or higher with relative ease (theoretically). So at some of these schools, in order to do this they have many less spaces available than there are PNM's.

This allows the sororities, especially the popular ones to be "selective" because there is an artificial demand for spots. The reason why I say this is artificial is that total could be higher or more groups could be invited on campus.

So if you are allowed to be selective like that, because there are so many applicants, you are going to start cutting heavily just for statistics.

GPA, Class, etc.

And yet going back to the example of the smaller Greek Systems, these factor a lot less. In smaller Greek Systems, upperclassmen coming out and getting bids is common. In smaller Greek systems they are grade conscious but maybe the new PNM groups doesn't average 3.5.

So to answer the original question, and keeping in mind that I am a boy, lol, there are only three answers that I see:

1. Increase the amount of spaces available to outpace the amount of PNM's by either raising total or soliciting new groups.

2. Make upper classmen free. No effect on quota.

3. Create a seperate quota for upperclassmen. Have them be considered a seperate entity. And have them be an entirely different issue.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I just had a grim thought lol.

Do upperclassmen do themselves out of spots?

If total number of PNM's factor into quota, but groups are going to cut upperclassmen, doesn't that mean the presence of upperclassmen just allows groups to recruit more freshmen? LOL.

Statistically?
Old 11-27-2002, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
Of your three answers, James, the most reasonable, looking at it from the perspective of someone in an NPC organization, would be to have a separate quota for upperclassman. But then you run in to the question of what is an upperclassman? Is it everyone but freshman? Or would it be a separate quota for each class?
Old 11-27-2002, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Some schools have established a separate quota for juniors and up. This could work! However, I can see a sophomore quota being abused at certain universities. Sororities might tell PNMs who didn't get bids not to even consider open rush, they'd pick them up next year. However, the sororities couldn't be held to that and the PNMs would suffer for it.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Has the upper classmen quota worked anywhere? Anyone have any data on it?
Old 11-29-2002, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Bama tried it, we haven't heard a thing yet.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Here, juniors do not count against quota, so I guess theoretically a chapter could take as many as it wanted.
Old 11-30-2002, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Sweet. what about Seniors?

Is U of K one of those hard core Greek Schools?

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
Here, juniors do not count against quota, so I guess theoretically a chapter could take as many as it wanted.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

What if you made it so that recruited Juniors and seniors didn't count towards total during informal recruitment?

Would that be an additional boon?

Because during informal recruitment there is no quota correct?
Old 11-30-2002, 04:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Penn State has used a seperate quota system for juniors since 1995?!

Their statistics are only updated through 2000. Here is the link for those interested:

http://www.sa.psu.edu/greeks/PHCformalrush.shtml