GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,241
1 members and 1,240 guests
No Members online

Old 10-07-2002, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Going thru Rush as a Sophomore/Junior

I am interested in what other GCer's think about women who rush as a soph or jr and then don't get a bid? How many rush threads have we all read from sophs or jrs who are so worried about how their class year will affect them in rush? Why does it have to be that way? Why should these women have to even worry about something like that? Maybe no freshmen should be allowed to rush, period! Maybe there should be a quota for each year group for each house! I get almost physically ill when I read threads from women who are wonderful in every sense of the word and would make any GLO proud but they don't get a bid just because they are a soph or jr -- that is a crime, in my humble opinion (more so than even those diabolical shameless plugs some of us on GC have been known to toss into various rush threads from time to time )

What do y'all think and can anything be done to help the sophs & jrs out for future rushes?
Old 10-07-2002, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I think at some schools, the sororities are allowed a certain number of "free" juniors. That is, the sororities could take x number of juniors and that number would not count against quota.

So if quota was 50 and chapters were allowed 5 free juniors, they could take 50 (quota) + 5 juniors. That is helpful. I am not sure if all (or even many) schools do this though.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

TechAPhi, I think....

...that sounds like a good policy; I wish it covered sophomores too. I guess I am just south of you in Peachtree City!! How is Tech these days?
Old 10-07-2002, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm also curious what people have to say about this? I'm a sophomore who is about to start rush (less than 3 weeks!!), and I'm pretty nervous about the whole sophomore thing. I know that sophomores are given bids, but it doesn't seem like it's as frequently as freshmen. Is it common for upperclassmen to be overlooked for bids? And is there anything I can do to help my odds of getting a bid? I'd appreciate any advice - thanks!!
Old 10-08-2002, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
I think this may be one of those things that varies from school to school. I've never known someone to not get a bid because of their level in school. I think that all three NPC organizations here have bid seniors, as well as sophomores and juniors.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

There are some threads....

...in the rush forum right here on GC that indicate sophs and jrs do indeed get bypassed in favor of giving bids to freshman unless the sophs or jrs practically walk on water...I hate to sound so negative but it sure seems like many sororities nowadays prefer quantity over quality -- e.g. they'd rather be getting four years out of a member rather than more wisdom/experience that comes with a soph/jr new member

Again, that is just what I have gleaned from several GC rush threads -- it was esp true this year for instance at UGA -- check out that rush thread from the beginning...
Old 10-08-2002, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm living proof that you can get a bid as a junior at UGA and I certainly don't "walk on water."

I knew going into it that there were several houses I wouldn't get very far in and that was okay. It wasn't anything personal. I'm not saying I agree with it though. In my experience, sophomore and junior pledges were some of the most dedicated members while a lot of freshman dropped out or didn't make grades.

I think the soph and junior quota idea is great!
Old 10-08-2002, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Bit of advice...

KEEP AN OPEN MIND. GIVE EACH AND EVERY SORORITY A CHANCE!!!! If you have your heart set on the top house, you will probably end up disappointed. Everyone wants to be in that house so they will most likely fill up their new member class with freshmen.

If you are a junior but will be in school for more than two more years, TELL THEM! When they ask the inevitable "what year are you" question say "I'm classified as a junior but since I changed my major (transferred in or whatever the case) I will be here for three more years." It will make a difference if that is the reason they were not considering you before.

Also, research alum programs and factor that into your decision. If you join as a junior you will be a collegian for only two years but could be an alum for 70 years or more! While freshman may be focused on house reputation and partying, as a junior you are starting to think about career and networking. Make sure the groups you are interested in have the opportunities you will want after college.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up more living proof...

of a successful rush experience as a Junior.

Initially I was nervous just because I thought I would be so much older than everyone else and I wouldn't get along with the freshman in my rush groups etc. However, when I heard it was harder to rush as a Junior, I was petrified.

However, I had a very successful rush, and was invited back to every house all the way through, but then met other girls who had hard tmes as sophomores going through the same rush!!

I did find out later though that the house was allowed 2 free juniors, and so myself and one other girl didn't count against quota. However, I still feel lucky because I know how many other juniors there were out there during rush, and they could only take 2!!

I understand now, and I didn't before, that it is largely a financial issue, so I agree with UGAgal for this reason and others, mention that you will be there longer if that is the case!

Honey
Old 10-08-2002, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I rushed as a sophmore, but it's ok since NO ONE only spends four years at SDSU, so I kinda got a lot more time to live Delta Sig.

But yeah, I rushed as a Sophmore and I turned out ok.........oh wait....
Old 10-08-2002, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I think it all depends on the "competition" at the particular school. At my school sophmores are never a problem, juniors are rarely a problem, and seniors can even get bid (but generally they have to have more than a year to go). I understand chapters not wanting to be "top heavy," but I completely understand why some women would want to experience college life and concentrate on their grades their first year.

At the more competitive schools, do sophmores/juniors fare better in COB?
Old 10-08-2002, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Fortunately our school takes everyone, including seniors. I rushed and got a bid when I was a sophomore, with no regrets about waiting a year.

But, I can see at bigger greek schools how this can be an issue.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:29 AM

It is more difficult going through rush as a sophomore or junior. We always had a handful of sophomores and occasionally one or two juniors going through formal rush, but sadly, they tended to get cut heavily. There seemed to be an unspoken question - why didn't you join a sorority as a freshman?

We did bid a couple of juniors and a bunch of sophomores via informal rush, and they turned out to be some of the best additions to our chapter. So, juniors, don't lose hope
Old 10-08-2002, 10:01 AM

I think SC Honey is right - it's a financial issue. If you have a 70 person house to fill, you want to pledge as many people as possible who will be there for as long as possible - that is, freshmen. And if Greek life is popular and you can, you will.

At smaller schools, with less popular Greek systems and without big houses, I echo what everyone else has said - your class year really doesn't matter at all.

I think the emphasis on freshmen at the sophs'/juniors' expense is cruddy too, but then again, I've never had to fill a 70 person house.

Last edited by 33girl; 06-11-2003 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I didn't realize that classification mattered at my school until a couple months ago! Thank God I didn't know that I when I went through rush, because I was a sophomore and I'm sure I would have been petrified. Basically, it's only the bigger groups that tend to prefer freshmen...I still had a full schedule of parties every day when I went through, but I was cut from the biggest house on campus the first day (which is OK--I didn't like it anyway! ), and then was gradually cut by the other two or three big ones all the way up until Pref. I remember being disappointed that I didn't get invited to Pref at one house in particular, but I just assumed it was because they didn't like me...but now that I know they only take two or three sophomores each year, I'm kinda annoyed. I mean, that's a stupid reason to cut someone! But I fit in here at DZ better than I would there, so it all worked out. In a way, I think juniors have it a little easier than sophomores (at least here), because juniors don't count against quota and so they're less likely to be cut because of their classification, while sophomores are competing with freshmen...and many sororities do prefer freshman because theoretically they have more dues-paying years than sophomores do.