GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,287
2 members and 1,285 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Trying to grow any ideas

I'm a new member of the KA chapter on campus ,w're the 3rd oldest on campus ,but also one of the smallest.we're very close to getting shut down by nationals because our numbers are so low. So my Big is the recruitment chair and I've been helping him ,but it seems like the ideas so far is a failure . Do any one have any ideas to help? I was also told if we get up to 35 we can possibly get a new house. so any idea, comments will help alot! and btw the chapter size as of now is 17 by May with seniors leaving about 13
Old 02-21-2010, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Has your Spring Rush already started/completed? If so, how many did you get?

As far as advice goes, this is going to be kind of long so apologies in advance but this is right up my aisle as far as major/interests goes.

Before Rush
You need 35 guys to get a house/stay active, correct? Quick math here, 35-13 = a goal of 21 new members. Now, figure that out of every ten guys you talk to, you'll get one to come out and rush. That might sound pessimistic, but as you'll soon see it really isn't. With the 10:1 ratio in mind, figure you need to talk to a minimum of 210 people to get 21 guys out to rush. Sounds like a lot, right? Not necessarily. Break it up among the brothers; each brother should talk to about different 12 non-Greek men he knows per week. Notice I said per week; simply put, the more interested guys you get the better, and the more guys you talk to, the more interested guys you'll get. Make a chapter log/wish list of guys you've talked to, and discuss any that stood out at your chapter. If you find some that seem more interested or "your type" than others, put them on a short list and start chatting them up more heavily, but don't knock anyone permanently unless its apparent they want no part of your fraternity.

Topics of Conversation
Should go without saying, but included here just for the record. Your guys should be approaching prospects from the angle of a friend, not of a fraternity brother wanting to get them to rush/join. Keep the fraternity out of initial conversation until you've developed a rapport with the PNM. This can be accomplished countless ways; if you and a PNM share a class, discuss the material, or offer to study with him. Sports is always a good topic as well. Once you've developed a budding friendship, the next step is to introduce him to your friends (fraternity brothers). This is where you can start pitching the fraternity directly. Tell him about your history, some famous alumni, past events, etc. and invite him to come out. If he mentions your size, mention that you get a house at 35, and ask him to invite his friends to rush with him.

Rush Events
A good rush event, in my opinion, is one that gets the PNM engaged and talking to the brothers while at the same time providing a glimpse into "a day in the life" of a brother. For example, a barbecue works well here; show off your prowess with the grill, get the PNMs walking around talking to brothers (and each other) maybe have a pickup game of football. KISS principle applies here. Also, equally important, get contact info for all the PNMs and have brothers call them the next day to ask them what they thought of the event and encourage them to come to the rest of them. Inevitably, your herd is going to thin as Rush progresses, but the follow-up is as important as the rush event itself; it makes the PNM feel valued, and also allows for a good evaluation of how you're doing and what you could do better.

Also, I suggest you read phiredup.com, they're recruitment experts.
Florida Atlantic University
Old 02-21-2010, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks! and yes spring rush is just kicking off