GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,107
2 members and 1,105 guests
PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 08-10-2019, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Georgia NPC Recruitment 2019

I'm closely following along as a close family friend goes through her recruitment at UGA, we just got through day one and there are already tears. As much as I love recruitment, UGA can be particularly vicious.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

How can there be tears already since no cuts have been made?
Old 08-11-2019, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
How can there be tears already since no cuts have been made?
Stress, it was a long day today. She didn't expect rush to be so intense, focused, and hands on. Her mom went to a smaller school during a time when you stepped onto campus, went through rush, and got a house just like that. She thought it would be like that for her as well and now she's seeing that there are places where she fits in and doesn't fit in and it's all sort of jarring for her.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Y'all better warn her to be strong for the cuts, not only for her but for people around her. My daughter, a Greek alum, works there and every year during recruitment is witness to several sobbing girls getting on the buses that take them around.

You know how outstanding a woman has to be to even get into Georgia and many of them have never been rejected before.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Y'all better warn her to be strong for the cuts, not only for her but for people around her. My daughter, a Greek alum, works there and every year during recruitment is witness to several sobbing girls getting on the buses that take them around.

You know how outstanding a woman has to be to even get into Georgia and many of them have never been rejected before.
We called her up this morning to talk to her. Her mother rushed back in the day and told her about "extra" houses and she was under the impression that Sigma Delta Tau at Georgia was like their chapter at Alabama. Hopefully rush will go well for her but it's hard already and we all know how bad it gets before it gets better. Cuts haven't even come yet so we'll see how she reacts to those first ones.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:15 AM

Hopefully a school with as competitive of a recruitment will be for her. If she joins a sorority, is joining a sorority as large as the chapters are at Georgia going to be okay? I hope she finds a home and wish her good luck!
Old 08-11-2019, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

This is harsh: my question is, were the mother and daughter living in a media-free bubble? It's absolutely incomprehensible to me, with social media being what it is, that both were unaware of the competitiveness, let alone the actual structure (intensity), of SEC recruitment. Surely she had recs. Surely she heard from peers about Georgia. They would not have jumped into the shark pool so blithely without doing research - right? GAH!

I live in the desert, far far away from SEC recruitment; I rushed back in the day at a "laid back" UCSB and even I knew better back then (no "extra" houses, all were competitive),and I know way better now. I do most sincerely wish her the very best of luck finding a home. May this story have a happy ending, please. Please. Please.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-11-2019, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Amen, AZTheta!
Old 08-11-2019, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

You'd be surprised how many posts I've seen on FB the last few days from moms and daughters in a panic because they just learned about rec letters and recruitment starts in two weeks.

I get it when they're from out of state, but I've been really surprised at the number of in-state SEC girls who just don't seem to have heard a thing about recruitment or how it works.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

You know why? Because there are all these websites that say that no sorority requires recs. And they don't mention how huge the early cuts are so they won't offend moms who think their darlings wouldn't possibly receive cuts.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
This is harsh: my question is, were the mother and daughter living in a media-free bubble? It's absolutely incomprehensible to me, with social media being what it is, that both were unaware of the competitiveness, let alone the actual structure (intensity), of SEC recruitment. Surely she had recs. Surely she heard from peers about Georgia. They would not have jumped into the shark pool so blithely without doing research - right? GAH!

I live in the desert, far far away from SEC recruitment; I rushed back in the day at a "laid back" UCSB and even I knew better back then (no "extra" houses, all were competitive),and I know way better now. I do most sincerely wish her the very best of luck finding a home. May this story have a happy ending, please. Please. Please.
My thoughts exactly. Add to that the fact that Mummy and Daddy have always swooped in and been able to run the gauntlet for their kids and now these kids have few coping skills and that is why girls are crying in the first rounds.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
You know why? Because there are all these websites that say that no sorority requires recs. And they don't mention how huge the early cuts are so they won't offend moms who think their darlings wouldn't possibly receive cuts.
And we have seen on multiple FB sites the great debate of recs or no recs needed over and over and over. I have seen moms comment on how unfair it is to require them. Seriously. I have seen moms who say " well, so and so didn't have recs and got a bid."when they could not possibly know if the girl did or did not have one. I have seen moms of members rushing on the sorority side for the first time claiming their daughters say their sororities don't use recs and the daughters know this because they have never seen one. We have tried to explain about rush committees and rec committes and how recs are not trotted out In Front of the entire chapter, to no avail.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Following Georgia closely as well as one of my sisters has her daughter going through this year. She's got her recs, is a legacy at at least our chapter...so hoping it all goes well for her! Fingers crossed she finds a home she loves, even if it isn't ours.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
And we have seen on multiple FB sites the great debate of recs or no recs needed over and over and over. I have seen moms comment on how unfair it is to require them. Seriously. I have seen moms who say " well, so and so didn't have recs and got a bid."when they could not possibly know if the girl did or did not have one. I have seen moms of members rushing on the sorority side for the first time claiming their daughters say their sororities don't use recs and the daughters know this because they have never seen one. We have tried to explain about rush committees and rec committes and how recs are not trotted out In Front of the entire chapter, to no avail.
This has been the bane of my existence this summer!!! GAH!!!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I told my Twizzler when she was at Northwestern that even though it said recs weren’t needed, they were most certainly needed.

Now I’m at Alabama and I have old friends writing to me to try to ask me for last minute letters when rush started days ago for some.