GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,244
1 members and 1,243 guests
No Members online

Old 03-19-2019, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face Need answers...

Hello,

I'm seriously considering rushing this upcoming Fall. I have always secretly wanted to be in a sorority, but never thought it was a real possibility for me. I am an older student, (25 this summer) and entering my Senior year this fall. I have 1-2 years left in school as a double-major at a school in Idaho. I've been thinking to myself that I've only got one chance to do this, and better late than never!

I deeply believe in the kind of sisterhood and community I have seen in the women I have known that have gone greek, and I am absolutely kicking myself for not just taking the plunge and rushing freshman year. I wish I could wind back the clock and do it right!

I am very petite, and have a young appearance and girlish nature (people always seem to think I’m 17) so I really think I’d be able to blend in and get along well with the other potential pledges.

My main questions are:

1- Do I even have a chance? Being 25 with Senior standing?

2- Providing I can successfully rush and get a pledge card, what would the requirements/costs look like for a new house member?

3- Would I be able to live in my current housing (apartment right by Greek row) and eat meals and study at the sorority house with the other girls? Or would I have to move in?

The housing question is mostly because my housing is very affordable, and if it were a possibility, it would be easier to pay dues and membership costs and meal plans and such if I could keep my cost of living around where it is already at.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you all!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoGirl11 View Post
Hello,

I'm seriously considering rushing this upcoming Fall. I have always secretly wanted to be in a sorority, but never thought it was a real possibility for me. I am an older student, (25 this summer) and entering my Senior year this fall. I have 1-2 years left in school as a double-major at a school in Idaho. I've been thinking to myself that I've only got one chance to do this, and better late than never!

I deeply believe in the kind of sisterhood and community I have seen in the women I have known that have gone greek, and I am absolutely kicking myself for not just taking the plunge and rushing freshman year. I wish I could wind back the clock and do it right!

I am very petite, and have a young appearance and girlish nature (people always seem to think I’m 17) so I really think I’d be able to blend in and get along well with the other potential pledges.

My main questions are:

1- Do I even have a chance? Being 25 with Senior standing?

2- Providing I can successfully rush and get a pledge card, what would the requirements/costs look like for a new house member?

3- Would I be able to live in my current housing (apartment right by Greek row) and eat meals and study at the sorority house with the other girls? Or would I have to move in?

The housing question is mostly because my housing is very affordable, and if it were a possibility, it would be easier to pay dues and membership costs and meal plans and such if I could keep my cost of living around where it is already at.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you all!

We can't really say for sure what your chances are as every school's culture is kind of different with regard to older and nontraditional students, but what I CAN tell you:

1. Like I said before, we don't know what your chances are because we do not know how receptive sorority members at your school are to nontraditional students. Certain universities are transfer and nontraditional student friendly but the GREEK system at those schools can still very much be an 18-22 year old experience.

2. This VERY much depends on the school and chapter. If you are on a campus with housed chapters, costs are going to be higher than if the chapters are not.

3. I always tell PNMs to plan on living in. Most chapters do have some sort of expectation as far as living in and it's best to go in assuming that it is an expectation. Ex: My school's chapters generally did not exempt girls from living in unless they were abroad or lived with parents in the area.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:49 PM

Also, ask yourself if you are going to have time with a double major and working. At 25, I was a graduate student and I can tell you that I could SO NOT HAVE handled any other organized activities like being a new member in sorority. Your program may vary.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

As has been said, every campus is different. Your campus may be open to transfer and non-traditional students. My campus is very open to military men who have had tours of active duty and then pledge at 20+ years old when they arrive on campus.

You may look 17, but do you connect to 18 year olds? Would you enjoy being part of a new member class with 17-19 year olds? If you think it would be a fit, give it a try.

Typically women have a harder time beyond their sophomore year but, at least you won't have any regrets.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, it depends. Some chapters will care about age, others won't. After meeting the chapters, YOU may decide that the age difference is a bar. Either way, you'll never know unless you try.

Our chapter skewed pretty young, but we did have older new members who fit in well. One of my best friends in my chapter pledged at 27. She was a returning student earning a second bachelors. A girl in my pledge class was a 22 year old senior who would be returning the following term for a fifth year. Our main concerns were achievements and personality. If you were smart, accomplished, and nice, age wasn't a huge concern.

Panhellenic (or the chapters themselves, sometime during rush) will normally make cost estimates for each chapter available to PNMs. At our school, it ended up being cheaper than most dorms and off-campus apartments to eat and live in the sorority house, dues included.

My chapter didn't require anyone to move in until their first fall semester as an initiate, though it was expected that most students without housing contracts or obligations at home would move in before then, space permitting. Members with high chapter seniority in their last year of college would be allowed to live out on a case-by-case basis, so long as the house was full or close to it.

Last edited by SigmaCat; 03-20-2019 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Carriage returnz, dropped wurds.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:34 AM

When you say “Greek row” are you referring to a block full of large mansion type houses that have eat-in kitchens and housemothers? Or do you mean a block full of individual apartments or made-over single family houses that Greeks live in?

Because if it’s the former, your chances are most likely slim to none.

ETA: this is a generalization, but it’s one that for Greek systems as a whole (not necessarily individual chapters) is generally correct.

Last edited by 33girl; 03-20-2019 at 08:51 AM.