GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 315,102
Threads: 115,627
Welcome to our newest member, GarlandBur
» Online Users: 408
5 members and 403 guests
moe.ron, paxpaul, tcsparky, zgratzbrit

Old 05-07-2014, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Angry badge update: So after finally making it home for the summer I got a hold of my badge and found that while the badge itself was fine, the chapter guard was not.

The clasp is supposed to be straight, not sticking out to the side. It doesn't close and I know that there's no way my mom and I are responsible because we didn't even touch the chapter guard until tonight and it was already like this. I am driving to Herff-Jones' headquarters in Providence tomorrow and giving them a piece of my mind.
No, you don't give any part of your mind away to anyone. I suggest a more specific action (PM me for details). And post on their FB page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
For the love of MIKE! Can this company do anything right?
#teamMike FTW. And no, they cannot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Too bad we can't all come to watch this showdown, with our popcorn buckets!
I think Sciencewoman means "join you" because I'd be doing more than watching, and there'd be something a lot less pleasant than popcorn in any bucket I'd be carrying.

thetalady - you know we'd be in the jail cell together right next to her, saying "damn! that was fun!"
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-08-2014, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Alright y'all, I'm back and not currently detained in a jail in Providence:P My mom and I drove up and ended up getting a hold of the man in charge of Greek repairs, who said he recognized my name from the second time I emailed him. The clasped hands were also not fully attached to the badge AGAIN, so he said he'd expedite the fix and have it ready for me to pick up some time next week. Apparently all the clasp on the chapter guard needed was some grease, but the hands require a little more work. He said he'd personally inspect it before giving it back to me, which provides me some small comfort but also makes me greatly question who on earth was inspecting badges before because they completely failed twice.

Now I'm planning to email our Collegiate Relations Director and let her know just how poorly Herff-Jones has done with my badge. AZTheta, I'm also PMing you.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

(((((((((((((((((((((((clemsongirl)))))))))))))))) )))))))

And people wonder why I prefer the vintage pins...
Old 05-11-2014, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Need some suggestions and advice. I've spent part of the night on the badge ordering system looking to replace my lost collegiate badge and I'm once again overwhelmed by all the options, especially now that as an alum I have the money to do a lot more than I did when I picked out my original badge.

I'm stuck because I also headed to a few sites to look at vintage badges, I know there are a lot of vintage badge owners here. Do you suggest replacing mine through our HQ or looking for a vintage badge? Are those sites safe to order from? I guess I'm not sure what the best way to go is and don't want to get taken advantage of. And if I get a badge through the ordering system online, as an alum do you suggest something basic or finally getting the blinged out badge I've always wanted.

Not Four Years But For Life
Old 05-11-2014, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phigirl04 View Post
Need some suggestions and advice. I've spent part of the night on the badge ordering system looking to replace my lost collegiate badge and I'm once again overwhelmed by all the options, especially now that as an alum I have the money to do a lot more than I did when I picked out my original badge.

I'm stuck because I also headed to a few sites to look at vintage badges, I know there are a lot of vintage badge owners here. Do you suggest replacing mine through our HQ or looking for a vintage badge? Are those sites safe to order from? I guess I'm not sure what the best way to go is and don't want to get taken advantage of. And if I get a badge through the ordering system online, as an alum do you suggest something basic or finally getting the blinged out badge I've always wanted.
I think it is mostly a matter of your budget and taste. Lots of people prefer to buy a vintage badge, especially since you can get them with genuine stones instead of the synthetic ones that are used currently. I personally love buying a piece of history and keeping a badge "in the family."

I have purchased several badges via Ebay & Etsy. Never had a problem. There is a lot of protection on those sites. Just read descriptions carefully ot be sure you know what you are getting. I have seen some stunning Phi Mu badges out there!! Have fun shopping!
Old 05-11-2014, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
do you suggest something basic or finally getting the blinged out badge I've always wanted.
My 2 cents: If you can afford it, buy what you've always wanted. You'll regret it if you don't. It may mean waiting for the right vintage item to come along, or it may mean purchasing something new.

In general, the quality of vintage badges is better than new ones made today. (as demonstrated repeatedly throughout this thread!) As Thetalady said, you just have to look closely at the photos & read the description before you purchase. If you need someone to weigh in, there are a number of us (myself included) who are happy to opine on a given item when PM'd.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

As an alumna, I would say get the blinged out badge, if you can afford it. In college I got mine with all pearls and a basic gold letter chapter guard. That way, I haven't lost my badge because I have a basic gold letter chapter guard to save it if it falls of my clothing. The all pearl look, to me, is classic and timeless. It's as blingy as I need for now but, still would someday like opals and various stones. I never feel like all pearls isn't enough. If you find a lovely one at HQ and it is cheaper, why not get that one? I'm sure you could even have your initials and initiation date engraved on it if you choose a used one. Good luck, sister!
Old 05-11-2014, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Silly question, I think I found my dream badge (emeralds and opals) but it's been changed into a ring. Is there anyway to turn it back into a badge? Or once it's a ring is it basically stuck that way?

Old 05-11-2014, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Silly question, I think I found my dream badge (emeralds and opals) but it's been changed into a ring. Is there anyway to turn it back into a badge? Or once it's a ring is it basically stuck that way?
So you are the sister looking at that ring? Awesome! I'd love to see it go to a sister. I was disappointed to see another sister from Alpha Alpha was selling it. Call your jeweler and ask. You should be able to do that. Is emerald (green) significant to you? Is it a birthstone or would it represent your university? I thought about getting sapphires for my alma mater. Good luck! That badge would be a lovely badge to own.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a May birthday so it's my birthstone and like many in this thread, I just love opals. I'm going to call my mom tomorrow and see if she can ask a jeweler near her because I don't really know any here since I just relocated. I'm hoping to get involved with the chapter here because it was just colonized and figured that meant it was definitely time to replace my lost badge.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Yes, it's possible, but it will take a very specialized & talented jeweler who can do laser soldering. (if you go the regular solder route it burns out pearls & opals.) You'll have to check around to find someone who can do it, and then ask to see examples of his/her work to verify they can do it right w/out burning out the gems.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
These badges with opals and emeralds aren't as rare as you might think. I would suggest keeping your eyes open for a few weeks, and I bet you'll spot one that you don't need to consider changing. I'll keep an eye out for you as well.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 05-12-2014, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned before. I can't wade through 400 pages right now. Check with your HQ to see if they have any vintage badges for sale. Sometimes members in their disposition papers state that they want their badge made available to members.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Angry badge update: So after finally making it home for the summer I got a hold of my badge and found that while the badge itself was fine, the chapter guard was not.

The clasp is supposed to be straight, not sticking out to the side. It doesn't close and I know that there's no way my mom and I are responsible because we didn't even touch the chapter guard until tonight and it was already like this. I am driving to Herff-Jones' headquarters in Providence tomorrow and giving them a piece of my mind.

Well how about that! Me too! I just received a recognition pin from Herff Jones and my clasp won't close either!

And while we're at it - a few days later, I received my 10 year milestone pin, only to discover that it has a noticeable blemish right on the side of the crescent!

How disappointing! Herff Jones really needs to up their quality control.

True and Constant
Old 05-18-2014, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Well how about that! Me too! I just received a recognition pin from Herff Jones and my clasp won't close either!

And while we're at it - a few days later, I received my 10 year milestone pin, only to discover that it has a noticeable blemish right on the side of the crescent!

How disappointing! Herff Jones really needs to up their quality control.
I really like that 10 year pin! I wish AST had one! I have to wait until I hit 25 years...

@~/~~~~