GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5

Old 09-17-2010, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Church of Body Modification

NC teen: Nose ring more than fashion, it's faith

RALEIGH, N.C. – A soft-spoken 14-year-old's nose piercing has landed her a suspension from school and forced her into the middle of a fight over her First Amendment right to exercise her religion.
Ariana Iacono says she just wants to be a normal teenager at Clayton High School, about 15 miles southeast of Raleigh. She has been suspended since last week because her nose ring violates the Johnston County school system's dress code.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rel_piercing_church
Old 09-17-2010, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

This comment had me dying laughing. It's sad how ignorant people can be.
Quote:
It's interesting to see how people use the "freedom of religion" expression to justify there ignorance.The truth is,freedom of religion is the freedom to worship Jesus, accourding to your christian faith. History teachs the fight for independance as one nation: ONE NATION UNDER GOD. Our laws are structured by and accourding to Christanity. God is on our money, in our pledge, etc. Prayer used to be, and still should be in our schools, and even in public and governmental sessions. History also teaches even the non-believers,and not all were, that shaped this country, was influenced by christians. That's the truth this girl and her mother, along with many others need to be taught. If we want to fix this country, and it's morals, we need to reinstate Jesus, rather than pacifist ideas and expressions. A divided house cannot stand. God bless.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Why can't she just take the stud out while she's in school? I'm sure there are several of her peers who have piercings that do that.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree. Especially since it seems that the experience of getting the piercing is the spiritual one. I don't see the issue with taking it off for a few hours every day. Though on that note, why did the school make a big deal about it? It's hardly noticeable.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Why can't she just take the stud out while she's in school? I'm sure there are several of her peers who have piercings that do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I agree. Especially since it seems that the experience of getting the piercing is the spiritual one. I don't see the issue with taking it off for a few hours every day. Though on that note, why did the school make a big deal about it? It's hardly noticeable.
Since a court already ruled on a similar case, I bet she'll lose this fight.

Quote:
A similar situation to the Iaconos' went to the courts in 2002, when a woman was fired from her job at a Costco store over her eyebrow ring. The woman was also a member of the Church of Body Modification, but the courts eventually ruled that her religious beliefs did not require her to always wear her jewelry.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I wear certain pieces of jewelry as an expression of my religion and it is my right to do so. However, when I'm at work, I will sometimes remove them for various reasons. If someone asked me to remove it because it was a religious symbol, I'd fight it. But if I were being asked because it's against the dress code, exactly what argument have I got?

If your religion doesn't require you to wear the thing all the time, then take it off when you're not supposed to be wearing it.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 09-20-2010, 06:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You usually can't take piercings out for more than an hour or so, they close really fast. But christian schools here usually only request they be covered up with skin-toned tape

Last edited by Tulip86; 09-20-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post
You usually can't take piercings out for more than an hour or so, they close really fast. But christian schools here usually only request they be covered up with skin-toned tape
An hour? Once they've healed?

My school let you get away with fishing line through the piercing in case it did need to be kept open.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

She has the right to be home schooled with her nose ring intact.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
An hour? Once they've healed?

My school let you get away with fishing line through the piercing in case it did need to be kept open.
Because of the kind of tissue involved, facial piercings never "heal". I've had my nose pierced for 6+ years and I still can't leave it out more than a couple hours. I can wear a clear stud, though.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Then pierce it again, and again, and again. It sounds like these people get close to their "God" by feeling the rush of getting a tattoo or piercing anyway, not necessarily rocking the jewelry.

I don't see her winning this one, because the school isn't forbidding her from getting piercings at all, they are just saying she can't wear them to school.

There goes her wish for being a normal teenager, she might as well look into a private school or home schooling.

Last edited by PiKA2001; 09-20-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

What would happen if she had a tattoo?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Kids shouldn't be allowed to get tatted up; It's for their own good. That Hannah Montana tattoo would look really dumb when they get older
Old 09-20-2010, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
A little thing called make-up, a good foundation can cover up a tattoo
Old 09-20-2010, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Kids shouldn't be allowed to get tatted up; It's for their own good. That Hannah Montana tattoo would look really dumb when they get older
Ha!

Quote:
A little thing called make-up, a good foundation can cover up a tattoo
You missed my point. And make-up won't cover it completely. And make-up over a tattoo ends up looking even trashier than the tattoo.

Last edited by agzg; 09-20-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: clarity. or some shit.