GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,597
1 members and 2,596 guests
navane

Old 08-30-2011, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
That's impressive. It's pretty dang thin!
I might have considered the MacBook Air over the MacBook Pro, if the prices had been a year ago what they are now. I've only had my MacBook Pro about a year…but considering I use CDs and DVDs quite a bit, I probably would have still gotten what I did—I got the cheapest MacBook Pro, and have no complaints a year later. I also know quite a few people who've had Mac notebooks of some sort for 3-4 years who have no complaints, either. I mean, like any computer, you're gonna have things happen that may be due to wear and time, but I've heard nothing but good things about Apple's service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I prefer Dells and Acers to other brands personally. I have a hard time dealing with Macs at all. I am firmly a Windows or Linux person but that's due to familiarity, I'm sure. I just don't know how to do anything on a Mac and I don't find it intuitive. If you need to interface with a work system, be sure that if you do decide on a Mac, that you can do what you need to do for work. Lots of people I worked with at my last job were very upset when they spent $1500 on a Mac to find that they still needed a Windows based laptop to work from home.
I actually still have my HP notebook—I've been letting my dad use it for the past year since I got my Mac. I do agree with your assessment of making sure the Mac is able to do the necessary things if it'd be for work purposes—especially if it's going to be the only computer you have.

I actually find now that I'm so used to my Mac that using a Windows machine requires more thought when it comes to shortcuts. This could also be because quite a few of my courses utilized Macs, as well, and I was using them in those before I even had one of my own.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll add my voice to the others singing the praises of Apple's customer service. Last year, I dropped my computer right before all of my final papers were due. Distraught, I went to the store, knowing my warranty didn't cover that kind of damage - and they performed what should have been an $800 repair for free. Getting things repaired and replaced is such a simple, hassle-free process with them, and in my 8 years of Mac ownership, I've only ever once had a technical problem - some kind of worn wire - that was easily rectified. I'm definitely one of those die-hard converts
Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Ugh, ok… I ended up with a Macbook Pro, and this is going to sound so stupid, but… how do I change the name of a file (specifically a picture file)? I go to File > Open File, but I can't change anything about any of the pictures there.

Where do I go and what do I do?!

While I love my Mac some days, there are other days that I hate it. I find it so frustrating that I can't figure out how to do some of the easiest and most basic things on it

@~/~~~~
Old 07-10-2014, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Select the file you want to rename (it should be highlighted in some way- probably in blue). Click on it once more. A text box should appear where the current file name is. Enter your new file name, and you're done. Do not open the file first- if the file is open, you won't be able to rename it.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 07-10-2014, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
^^I just bought a Macbook Pro - OSX 10.9.4 and I am able to rename open files. If the file is open, locate the name of the file (at the top of the window) and double click the name. A dialog box will appear that will allow you to change the file name.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

When I open a picture, it opens in a separate browser window as a .jpg. There isn't anywhere to rename it...

@~/~~~~
Old 07-10-2014, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

You can rename it from that window. Just click on the name at the top of the box (there may be an arrow on the right hand side). It will open up and you can change from there.

I got my Macbook Pro a little over a year ago. The learning curve was steep (ha- have you figured out spellcheck? That took me forever!!) but I love it now. Plus you can google any of your questions and the help sites are numerous.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
You can rename it from that window. Just click on the name at the top of the box (there may be an arrow on the right hand side). It will open up and you can change from there.

I got my Macbook Pro a little over a year ago. The learning curve was steep (ha- have you figured out spellcheck? That took me forever!!) but I love it now. Plus you can google any of your questions and the help sites are numerous.
Still confused…

When I open a picture, it takes me to my internet browser and displays the picture in the same way it would if I right-clicked on a pic on Facebook and selected 'Open Image in New Tab'; no name is displayed and there aren't any arrows that I can see.

And the only reason I came here to ask this was because I searched high and low through Google, and I couldn't find anything about how to change the name of a single picture file. Where are all of these help sites?

I'm so frustrated… grrrrr.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-10-2014, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

You shouldn't be opening the picture at all. Find the picture in the Finder- follow the folder paths until you get to it (the two tone blue icon with the smilie face). Then try the steps I gave you above.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 07-10-2014, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Awhile View Post
You shouldn't be opening the picture at all. Find the picture in the Finder- follow the folder paths until you get to it (the two tone blue icon with the smilie face). Then try the steps I gave you above.
Ahhh, thanks! I missed your comment above! I've figured it out now.

Aaaaaand I just learned what the Finder is. Yes, I had to use Google to figure out where to find it, and when it said in the 'Dock', I had to figure out what the Dock was, and then I used Google Images and entered 'Finder icon' to know what the heck it was.

I hate technology. lol

@~/~~~~
Old 07-12-2014, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Ugh, ok… I ended up with a Macbook Pro, and this is going to sound so stupid, but… how do I change the name of a file (specifically a picture file)? I go to File > Open File, but I can't change anything about any of the pictures there.

Where do I go and what do I do?!

While I love my Mac some days, there are other days that I hate it. I find it so frustrating that I can't figure out how to do some of the easiest and most basic things on it
In addition to what Smile_Awhile said, you can also right-click on it (or Command+Click) and select "Get Info" from the menu and there's a place to change the file name there.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

unarose, I do the right-click on my pictures and it works easily. Took me a while to figure it out when I switched over from Windows. After 5 years, my MacBook Pro seems to still be trudging along fine.

DaffyKD