GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,210
3 members and 2,207 guests
Cookiez17, Sen's Revenge

Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I think everyone has been pretty clear that their RFM examples are not Bama (which does suggest that we should create a different thread for RFM not at Bama).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 AM
GreekChat Member

A little advice for anyone participating in recruitment at Bama in the future- it is a good idea to read the previous year's Greek Chic guide as they seem to be very good. However, they seem to come out late in the game, as TXGreekMom pointed out. Last summer the booklet came out just a few days before move-in.

Last edited by kiteflyersmom; 07-24-2014 at 05:46 AM. Reason: **at Bama
Old 07-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
I think everyone has been pretty clear that their RFM examples are not Bama (which does suggest that we should create a different thread for RFM not at Bama).
Yes, sorry. I think everyone (including me) was trying to explain to PersistentDST even tho her question wasn't an Alabama specific question.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

PersistentDST made it clear in her question that it wasn't Bama specific, and how/why she was linking it to this thread. Apparently the majority of the responders understood that, which indicates that they were careful readers.

It's not the first time there's been a swerve in a GC thread and it won't be the last. And IMO it was a great place to insert an RFM question and responses, b/c PNMs and Non NPC posters (like kiteflyersmom and others whose NPC affiliation is unknown) will be clear on the answer and get good information.

As for the timing of the Bama brochure, that was a good suggestion by kiteflyersmom to have PNMs look at previous editions. I'm sure they all thought to do that, right?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-24-2014, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry for hijacking the thread guys! I just figured since it was quoted out of Alabama's guide it would be better here. It's so comprehensive! I think I have a pretty good understanding about the process (variations or other possibilities). Thank you guys very much! I'm looking forward to (sort of) stalking Instagram in the next couple of weeks to see how things work out.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Online registration closes tomorrow, Monday, August 4th, at 5:00 pm.

On site registration available Friday, August 8th, 5:30 pm at the Coliseum (prior to Convocation).
Old 08-03-2014, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post

On site registration available Friday, August 8th, 5:30 pm at the Coliseum (prior to Convocation).
I really, really, really wish they had closed registration a week ago!!

Old 08-03-2014, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

The UA Panhellenic Facebook page today says online registration closes at noon tomorrow CST, but the official Panhellenic website says 5:00 just like you did. Wonder which one's right?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I really, really, really wish they had closed registration a week ago!!
I thought about you when I saw registration closes a few days before recruitment, I remember last year you emphatically stated you wished they would cut off registration a week before recruitment began! If I remember right, last year they had online registration available from the start every day up to convocation day. Sorry it apparently doesn't make things much easier for you, but at least the four-days-before cutoff this year is progress! Also, do/can you or anyone else at Alabama know/share the number signed up for recruitment so far? Just wondering.

Last edited by magnoliacurious; 08-03-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliacurious View Post
I thought about you when I saw registration closes a few days before recruitment, I remember last year you emphatically stated you wished they would cut off registration a week before recruitment began! If I remember right, last year they had online registration available from the start every day up to convocation day. Sorry it apparently doesn't make things much easier for you, but at least the four-days-before cutoff this year is progress! Also, do/can you or anyone else at Alabama know/share the number signed up for recruitment so far? Just wondering.
They haven't started taking my advice!
They are actually registering through Thursday, I think...or maybe Friday. My student said the day before recruitment.
Right at 2,200 have signed up so far. It'll probably get very close to 2,300. Then, of course, they'll subtract the ones that don't actually show up etc.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliacurious View Post
The UA Panhellenic Facebook page today says online registration closes at noon tomorrow CST, but the official Panhellenic website says 5:00 just like you did. Wonder which one's right?
If I were an unregistered PNM, I would observe the earlier time (though I wouldn't be surprised if online apps past noon tomorrow are accepted).

If I were Panhellenic, I would close registration at least a week before Convocation and discontinue on-site registration.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
They haven't started taking my advice!
They are actually registering through Thursday, I think...or maybe Friday. My student said the day before recruitment.
Right at 2,200 have signed up so far. It'll probably get very close to 2,300. Then, of course, they'll subtract the ones that don't actually show up etc.
As for the first three sentences, I don't know what to say! As for the signup numbers, hit the PLAY button again: WOW!! (then hit STOP button). Seriously, that's really impressive!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If I were an unregistered PNM, I would observe the earlier time (though I wouldn't be surprised if online apps past noon tomorrow are accepted).

If I were Panhellenic, I would close registration at least a week before Convocation and discontinue on-site registration.
I would observe the earlier time to be safe too, and as for the second sentence, maybe one day they might, but I would guess (not knowing anything about the specific situation) that the university wants to get as many people (and as much money) as they can; so they'll leave things much like they are for a while.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 PM

Why on earth would they have on-site registration for such a competitive rush where doing a lot of pre-rush legwork is in the PNM's best interest? Unless they've already gotten recs et al and just for some reason needed to put off the actual payment.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Why on earth would they have on-site registration for such a competitive rush where doing a lot of pre-rush legwork is in the PNM's best interest? Unless they've already gotten recs et al and just for some reason needed to put off the actual payment.

They want to keep it as open as possible...although with recruitment a week before, you have to plan ahead and know you want to go through. It's not something you'd sign up for on a whim.

As of last night, 2,422 registered. Around 200 haven't paid yet, some just won't show up, some will go to convocation and then blow off for a hot fraternity party...some will do the first day of parties and disappear...the number constantly stays fluid.