GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,172
1 members and 1,171 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-18-2001, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool If YOU were in charge

We all know that our hard-working, loyal national officers are wonderful women, with super ideas for making Kappa even better than it is today....

...but if YOU were in charge--of any area of Kappa--new member, recruitment, alumnae relations, housing, etc--WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE? What programs would you like to see implemented?

This is by no means meant to be a KKG HQ Bashing session... just a brainstorming post to get us thinking of new ideas to bring to our national officers--either on a national level, a province level, or just a chapter-by-chapter level.

I'd love to hear your ideas!!!

Loyally,
Kristen
(imsohappythatiama)

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-18-2001, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Great topic!!
If I were in charge, I would bring back big/little. We had families, we still have the family trees that go all the way back to when our chapter was started, and it's so difficult to give it all up. I like the idea of having a family, and not switching the family.
Do you think they will ever bring big and little's back?
That's all I can think of now, but I can't wait to hear what others say.

L&L
Casey
Old 06-18-2001, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

New Member: Bring back big/lil!! The Kore program has turned into absolute nightmare for some of our chapter members (myself included) Besides, having an Owl Pal and then a big just means more presents, and who doesn't love getting presents?? I see nothing inheritly wrong with the old system and I don't understand why KKG felt the need to change it.

The other rule I want to talk about is the only mixing in dry houses rule. I think this is a really, really good rule, but I think that it should be an NPC rule, not a Kappa one. I know all chapters are in the process of adopting this rule. On my campus though, a lot of sororities don't have the rule, and the result is that frats aren't choosing to mix with us because it's a big pain to negotiate with a third pary vendor. If it perpetuates on campuses, Kappa chapters will suffer during rush. I think all orgs in the NPC should have this rule, and they should all go under it ASAP to level the playing field when competing for mixers (did I mention my school's greek system is really cutthroat and competitive? hehe)
Old 06-19-2001, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kappagirl00:
The other rule I want to talk about is the only mixing in dry houses rule. I think this is a really, really good rule, but I think that it should be an NPC rule, not a Kappa one. I know all chapters are in the process of adopting this rule. On my campus though, a lot of sororities don't have the rule, and the result is that frats aren't choosing to mix with us because it's a big pain to negotiate with a third pary vendor. If it perpetuates on campuses, Kappa chapters will suffer during rush. I think all orgs in the NPC should have this rule, and they should all go under it ASAP to level the playing field when competing for mixers (did I mention my school's greek system is really cutthroat and competitive? hehe)
Hey kappagirl00:

I hear you on the "dry mixing" rule... I know that my chapter (Delta) has had a really hard time with this rule...

FYI, ALL NPC sororites will eventually be going to the "dry mixing" rule. It is hoped that (eventually) fraternities in IFC will follow the NPC's lead and go to dry housing. (This was a roundabout way of getting the men to go dry, too--take the women away, and they will buckle, many NPC reps felt.)

KKG, along with three other sororities (I can't recall which right now) adopted this "dry mixing policy"--becoming ground breakers in this area. The last time I checked, at least 7 other sororities have pledged to go to the dry mixing policy by September 2002. I think all of the other NPC chapters will fall in line after that. Their insurance carriers will simply refuse to cover them if they don't, I think.

FYI: During 1997, Sigma Nu, Phi Delta Theta and Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI) Fraternities declared that their chapter facilities will be substance-free by the year 2000. FarmHouse Fraternity has always been substance-free. In January of 1998, Phi Kappa Sigma Fraternity announced they will join the other four fraternities with the goal of having all chapter living facilities alcohol-free by July 1, 2000.

Here is the official notice:
"The National Panhellenic Conference passed a resolution last fall urging support of the NPC member groups and encouraging our chapters to do the same by scheduling non-alcoholic events with these specific fraternities. Other men's groups will be taking a similar stand on this important issue. Alcohol, in many instances, has proven
to be detrimental to the entire Greek system. It is vital that these men's fraternities receive our support!"

I hope this clears things up a little!!! I know that this policy changes a lot of the Greek system as many of us know it, but I do think that it's in the best interest of KKG's and the Greek system's future. It's just going to take a little time and a lot of getting used to.

Maybe it'll take a little stress off of the poor Social/Risk Management Chairs across the country--geez, the stress those girls go through!!!

Loyally,
Kristen

------------------
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 06-19-2001, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Hey--

Kappagirl00, Good point about the "eventually" part. From what I know, this was a REALLY hard thing to get passed through the National Panhell Council. I remember a KKG National Officer telling me that no one wanted to commit to it, even though all of the delegates thought it was the right thing to do. Kind of a Catch 22.

I *believe* (though I don't know this to be a fact) that one of the reasons KKG is one of the charter sororities in this initiative is that the National President of Panhellenic is a Kappa.

I hear you on the "nobody wants to join the group that didn't make quota last Rush"....it was that way at my school (Indiana U.), too. I am SO glad to hear that your chapter hasn't suffered any quota repercussions... let's hope it stays that way....

Could the sororities that have "dry mixing" policies on your campus get together and have a mixer at a third-party-vendor, like a restaurant or a bar or something? I know it's not the same as a traditional mixer, and I know it is expensive as heck, but if you pooled your resources, it might work. Do you have other sororites that are under the dry mixing policy at your campus?

Without sounding like our illustrious former President, I really feel your pain. I'm not an undergrad anymore, but I know what this policy is doing to my chapter....at the same time, I know that it is probably the right course for KKG to take.... it's just so hard to change.

Good thing we have this bulletin board to discuss it on!!!

Loyally,
Kristen

------------------
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 06-19-2001, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Back to the topic at hand--WHAT I WOULD CHANGE/PROGRAMS I'D LIKE TO SEE IMPLEMENTED:

(1) I would like to see KKG HQ and alumnae associations everywhere (beginning with the PDAs--Province Directors of Alumnae) make a much more concerted effort to bring our recently graduated KKG alumnae into the alumae associations.
As a KKG who went right from being an active to being an active alumnae and advisor, I can tell you that it has been a WONDERFUL, AMAZING experience, and I am so glad that I didn't let Kappa fall by the wayside for 10 years or so.
I think more recent grads would join their local alumnae associations and advisory boards if they were made to feel more welcome, and recruited--not just left to find the alumnae associations on their own.
I would like to see KKG include a new ceremony in its ritual--a ceremony that would mark the movement of an active collegian into alumnae status. I think this would be a great way to celebrate the transition, get the new grad involved (if she wants to be involved) after college, and show the other active collegians what they have to look forward to.

(2) I'd like to see KKG HQ stop focusing so much on what office you held while an active. They often make such a big deal about someone being their chapter's President or VPS, and they never seem to take the time to appreciate the women who filled what my chapter called the "VP of Clean-Up" positions--you know--there is always that girl or couple of girls who are always there to do the jobs no one else wants--clean out the ritual closet, take down the balloons and banners after rush parties, take the pizza boxes out to the recycler after sister nights--and those girls rarely get recognized. I guess that's just life, but quite often those girls are just as important to the health of the chapter as the President is...I'd just like to see that recognized now and then.

Those are just 2 things I'd like to see happen... I'll probably think of more.... in the meantime, anything else you all would like to see implemented or changed? Any brand new ideas you'd like to see KKG try out?

------------------
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 06-19-2001, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I also am getting back on topic (surprise!)

Another thing I thought about is the idea of assistant officers. HQ pretty much outlines which offices cannot have assistants and which can. I may be wrong about this, but this is always the impression that I've gotten. IMO, chapters should be allowed to have assistants that tailor the individual needs of their chapter. One of my friends is a Kappa at a school where all sororities have pretty small pledge classes, yet they still have an assistant New Member Educator who doesn't have anything much to do. Unhoused chapters have house managers -- what purpose do they serve exactly? There is no Assistant House Manager office that I know of, yet most housed chapters would welcome the addition of one. I guess my main point is a more general one. HQ needs to focus a little less on establishing national rules and a little more on evaluating the needs of each chapter and allowing them to modify national policy a little.
Old 06-19-2001, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Hi!
I recently inquired about the Emergency Grant for a member. During Rush, we always say, "Don't let the amount of dues be the reason you don't join Kappa. We have scholarships, etc. that you can apply for to gain help." Well, did you know that this is a lie? There ARE scholarships to apply for but these CANNOT be used for dues! Did everyone know that? So...I would change that there should be Emergency assistance to help with dues. I am thinking about starting a fund after I graduate to hit up recent alumnae from our chapter, explaining myself because this is a problem. We have been lying the whole time to the rushees. Does anyone have this same problem? I just wonder about those chapters that have to pay like over $1,000...what do you guys do when you have a member that has a problem being able to pay???
I would also like to bring back the big/lil. I have seen people ahead of me who have the big/lil and I am so jealous. But, anyways!
I hope everyone is doing great!
Loyally,
Katie
Old 06-20-2001, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by imsohappythatiama:
Hey kappagirl00:

I hear you on the "dry mixing" rule... I know that my chapter (Delta) has had a really hard time with this rule...

FYI, ALL NPC sororites will eventually be going to the "dry mixing" rule. It is hoped that (eventually) fraternities in IFC will follow the NPC's lead and go to dry housing. (This was a roundabout way of getting the men to go dry, too--take the women away, and they will buckle, many NPC reps felt.)

KKG, along with three other sororities (I can't recall which right now) adopted this "dry mixing policy"--becoming ground breakers in this area. The last time I checked, at least 7 other sororities have pledged to go to the dry mixing policy by September 2002. I think all of the other NPC chapters will fall in line after that. Their insurance carriers will simply refuse to cover them if they don't, I think.

FYI: During 1997, Sigma Nu, Phi Delta Theta and Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI) Fraternities declared that their chapter facilities will be substance-free by the year 2000. FarmHouse Fraternity has always been substance-free. In January of 1998, Phi Kappa Sigma Fraternity announced they will join the other four fraternities with the goal of having all chapter living facilities alcohol-free by July 1, 2000.

Here is the official notice:
"The National Panhellenic Conference passed a resolution last fall urging support of the NPC member groups and encouraging our chapters to do the same by scheduling non-alcoholic events with these specific fraternities. Other men's groups will be taking a similar stand on this important issue. Alcohol, in many instances, has proven
to be detrimental to the entire Greek system. It is vital that these men's fraternities receive our support!"

I hope this clears things up a little!!! I know that this policy changes a lot of the Greek system as many of us know it, but I do think that it's in the best interest of KKG's and the Greek system's future. It's just going to take a little time and a lot of getting used to.

Maybe it'll take a little stress off of the poor Social/Risk Management Chairs across the country--geez, the stress those girls go through!!!

Loyally,
Kristen

It's the "eventually" part that gets to me. Why couldn't we have all done this at once? It's not fair to the chapters that have gone first, because they obviously will not be getting mixers, which means they will suffer from dropping rush numbers. And I don't know about the schools you go to, but here not making quota is signing your own death wish. Because no one wants to join "the group that didn't make quota" last year, and so groups go into this downward spiral and eventually end up leaving campus or recolonizing. Luckily, we have never had a problem making quota -- yet. Basically, the same 3 or 4 sororities are getting all the mixers here, and the others will surely suffer as a result. It's bad for everyone -- the chapters that are putting themselves at risk insurance-wise, the chapters that are being nailed during rush because of not getting mixers, and the campus as a whole for having such an unbalanced greek community. Would it have really been THAT hard for the NPC as a whole to pass this? The rule seems like a no-brainer, after all.

[This message has been edited by kappagirl00 (edited June 19, 2001).]
Old 06-20-2001, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kappagirl00:
Another thing I thought about is the idea of assistant officers. HQ pretty much outlines which offices cannot have assistants and which can. I may be wrong about this, but this is always the impression that I've gotten. IMO, chapters should be allowed to have assistants that tailor the individual needs of their chapter. One of my friends is a Kappa at a school where all sororities have pretty small pledge classes, yet they still have an assistant New Member Educator who doesn't have anything much to do. Unhoused chapters have house managers -- what purpose do they serve exactly? There is no Assistant House Manager office that I know of, yet most housed chapters would welcome the addition of one. I guess my main point is a more general one. HQ needs to focus a little less on establishing national rules and a little more on evaluating the needs of each chapter and allowing them to modify national policy a little.
I've gotta agree with you here.... I think the reason that Kappa limited the number of assistant positions is so that a chapter wouldn't "create" ridiculous assistant positions for every girl in the chapter, so that everyone had an office to list on her resume.

But I think this could be easily overcome by changing the bylaws to state that a chapter has discretion to create and/or abolish "assistant positions", so long as their actions to do so are approved by a majority vote of the chapter advisory board and/or by the chapter's PDC.

------------------
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 06-20-2001, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamAwhile:
Hi!
I recently inquired about the Emergency Grant for a member. During Rush, we always say, "Don't let the amount of dues be the reason you don't join Kappa. We have scholarships, etc. that you can apply for to gain help." Well, did you know that this is a lie? There ARE scholarships to apply for but these CANNOT be used for dues! Did everyone know that? So...I would change that there should be Emergency assistance to help with dues. I am thinking about starting a fund after I graduate to hit up recent alumnae from our chapter, explaining myself because this is a problem. We have been lying the whole time to the rushees. Does anyone have this same problem? I just wonder about those chapters that have to pay like over $1,000...what do you guys do when you have a member that has a problem being able to pay???
I would also like to bring back the big/lil. I have seen people ahead of me who have the big/lil and I am so jealous. But, anyways!
I hope everyone is doing great!
Loyally,
Katie
Katie-- Are you sure you can't use the new Rose McGill Emergency Assistance Grants for dues? Here is the description:

Emergency Grants are available during the school year to Kappa collegians
who face a sudden financial emergency. These grants are confidential.
Associate members are not eligible. A recipient must be a full-time student and
active in the chapter. A recipient must also remain in school the term following
receipt of the grant or refund the award to the Foundation. Consult with your
Chapter Council Adviser and follow procedures listed in the Guidelines,
Procedures and Application below. Applications will be processed from August
1 to April 1. These grants are made possible by the Rose McGill Fund of the
Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation. Please forward your application or any
questions to the Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation Assistant, Robin Pickett at
Fraternity Headquarters.

------------------
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 06-20-2001, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Kristen-
I have called a few people and I called the woman in charge of the Emergency Grants, I think her name was Colleen, it was listed in the yellow pages and she said the situation would definitely be valid, but that the sister couldn't use the money to go towards dues. The money would have to go to books or something. I thought the Emergency Grant would totally work, but I guess that isn't an option.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamAwhile:
Hi Kristen-
I have called a few people and I called the woman in charge of the Emergency Grants, I think her name was Colleen, it was listed in the yellow pages and she said the situation would definitely be valid, but that the sister couldn't use the money to go towards dues. The money would have to go to books or something. I thought the Emergency Grant would totally work, but I guess that isn't an option.
Katie:

Here are a few questions:

(1) If she could get the emergency grant for her situation, why can't she use the money KKG will give her to pay for books, tuition, etc., and then use the money she had budgeted to pay for books, tuition, etc. to pay for her dues?

(2) When Kappa pays out the money for the emergency grant, do they pay it to the girl, or to some third-party? If they pay it directly to her, why can't she just decide where to allocate the funds?

(3) Does Colleen (at HQ) have any other suggestions?

(4) Have you tried calling the President of the BIAA? I bet they have some kind of fund for this situation.

------------------
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 06-25-2001, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hey Kristen-
I'll check with BIAA. I also think that something can be worked out, but I just thought it was odd that there isn't something specifically for help with dues. I think Colleen was getting at that she can "say" she was going to use the money on books, and use it for dues, but to be honest, I don't really like promoting finding the loop holes. I know something can be worked out. But, that is one of the things I would change. Thanks for all of the advice! I hope everyone had a great weekend!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I am just bumping this because I really enjoyed reading it and am wondering about the evolution of the new member program since this was first posted (2001!)

Does anyone else struggle with the shortened new member period like I do? It just seems to fly by SO quickly. I really feel it is a detriment to chapters with large pledge classes (75 for example) which can make it harder to form bonds in such a short time.