GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,441
1 members and 1,440 guests
MSKKG

Old 05-11-2011, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I too find this thread very helpful you ladies are very nice and this forum is very informative
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

boys

I would avoid talking about boys all together, one of my friends went through this year and on pref day (the last day of rush) she brought up her boyfriend in conversation (harmless, right?) but then the girl rushing her politely told her that he was actually dating the same guy..and had been for about a year. Needless to say, it was an awkward hour.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned

Yes, definitely awkward, but if I were the sorority woman in that situation, I'd be grateful to learn that I was dating a low-down dog. Obviously, the rushee was in the dark about his multiple girlfriends or she wouldn't have mentioned it.
________
Head shop

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Urgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhill2 View Post
DO make eye contact with the rusher/rushee when talking. When I was rushing I was in a house talking to one of the sisters and she kept looking all around the room while I was talking to her. It made me feel like she didn't want me there. The same thing goes for the rushee.

These types of things with eye contact have always been annoying to me because in the US it's the culture to have strong eye contact!!! In France this is not the case and I have had to relearn this now seemingly "bad habit" since I was 16. STILL I sometimes can't get a handle on it, all the staring freaks me out! *sigh* Girls in school always thought I had adhd or was aloof or something...
Old 07-18-2011, 01:44 PM

You shouldn't be staring into someone's eyes constantly (unless you just had sex with them). Look at their eyebrows or nose...just not over their shoulder or at other people!!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You shouldn't be staring into someone's eyes constantly (unless you just had sex with them). Look at their eyebrows or nose...just not over their shoulder or at other people!!
Pretty sure that would be dirty rushing. So to speak.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

^we really need a "like" button.^
Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello GC! So like many others I have been reading all different threads on this site from a distance. But since recruitment is less than a month away, I thought now would be a good time to ask my question.

So I am going to be a sophomore at a competitive school in the south. They do have a sophomore quota that was implemented (just a background note!). I am going to be living with my boyfriend next year. We are good kids, don't drink, etc. But when people hear "living with boyfriend", I usually get skeptical glances from people. So my question is, should I mention that I am going to be living with him? I know rushers will probably ask where I am living, and I could avoid talking about my roommate, but would that be ideal? Thank you in advance!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegirl View Post
Hello GC! So like many others I have been reading all different threads on this site from a distance. But since recruitment is less than a month away, I thought now would be a good time to ask my question.

So I am going to be a sophomore at a competitive school in the south. They do have a sophomore quota that was implemented (just a background note!). I am going to be living with my boyfriend next year. We are good kids, don't drink, etc. But when people hear "living with boyfriend", I usually get skeptical glances from people. So my question is, should I mention that I am going to be living with him? I know rushers will probably ask where I am living, and I could avoid talking about my roommate, but would that be ideal? Thank you in advance!
It's not necessary to mention your boyfriend.

If asked where you live, casually mention that you live off campus. If they ask if you live with someone, say you live with a roommate.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:35 AM

^^^I wouldn't go out of my way to tell people.

I will say that people may look at that unfavorably, but not in an "omg I'm so conservative and living together is so wrong" kind of way.

At times, when you find out that a PNM is living with a guy, the assumption is made that the PNM will be stuck up her BF's behind all the time, not make time for events because "I haven't seen my boyyyyfriend in 3 days!!" and not be as involved because BF is the priority. So why waste a spot on her when we could have a FRESHMAN with no live-in who is more likely to be around?

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelle_Toye
I read the thread, i really think if you are worried about what other people say then you should rethink moving in with him. You have to live your life and not worry about other people. You and your boyfriend are grown and you have to do what you fill is right. So if you didn't feel that this was a good move then you wouldn't have done it. So get up and hold your head up and go on with your life. People are going to judge you but if you think about what people say all the time then you wouldn't have a life at all. So what goes on behind your place where you pay rent then it should stay behind those doors where you pay rent.

Last edited by Michelle_Toye; 08-06-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_Toye View Post
I just joined so I would need someone to fill me in.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
Pretty sure that would be dirty rushing. So to speak.
QFA
Old 08-31-2011, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunatartare View Post
This was posted in one girl's recruitment thread already, but I feel that this should be posted on here to serve as a caution to all PNM's:
If you were affected by a tragedy such as Katrina, have a relative or friend serving in Iraq, etc. I would avoid talking about it unless someone asks you about it or brings it up first. You don't know what other peoples' experiences have been in the same situation, and you don't wanna bring up bad memories or look like you're playing the pity card.
I don't necessarily agree. In some cases, it's sort of natural to mention these things.

I talked with a girl this fall who was from Joplin. It was sort of hard to avoid the topic, once she told the actives where her hometown is.

Same sort of thing for a PNM with a parent in the military. They don't really have one home town.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 AM

This is from a conversation I had with CeCe Newbie yesterday:

KR: If you're at a rush party and one of the sisters says, "Oh CeCe, we love you so much and you'd fit in so well at ABC! When you fill out your bid card, only put down our sorority because we definitely want you!" What do you do?

CCN: Well, I wouldn't put just the one sorority because that would be suiciding, Right?

KR (proudly): Yes, that's right. And you don't want to do that.

CCN: What if I want to join the sorority that asked me to suicide but I still put another sorority second? Will the sisters at the first sorority be mad because I didn't suicide them?

KR (Thinking to herself) Those dirty rushing bitches messing with my baby!!!
KR (Says out loud): I think if you got a bid from the first sorority, they wouldn't know what other sorority you put on your card. But I'm going to ask on GC to see for sure.

So...can anyone help? Thanks!