GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 687
0 members and 687 guests
No Members online

Old 03-31-2004, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
Should more "mostly white sororities and fraternities" be integrated?

I think that there should be more integration in those types of groups. I mean, this is 2004, not the 1960s. I think that if we don't integrate with some of the Greek Life, then we are setting a poor example with the younger generation. I mean, there is nothing wrong with having separate sororites and fraternities based on race, but I think that it's time to move on, and start being together as people of all colors.

I have read the story with the black girl from the University of Alabama who was trying to get into an "all white" sorority. I think that she sets a good example of trying to break the color barrier of Greek Life. I mean if a black girl is trying to get into a "all white" sorority, she should NOT be judged by the color of her skin.

Okay, my mother doesn't want for me to join a white sorority, but if I wanted to, then I'll do it. I won't let my color stop me. I mean, I went to a mostly white school, and I don't have a problem with that. Also, I listen to all types of music. If people have a problem with me joining a "all white" sorority, then it's just too bad. It's the 21st century and people need to move on. People just need to stop being narrow minded. If I have offended anyone, I'm real sorry.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
*DUCK!!!!!!!!!!*

J/K! I have love for people who realize that you choose your organization based on YOU! As far as integrating the "white" greek system, I sincerely believe that NIC/NPC organizations have taken great steps toward openness. You'll find a number of non-"white" NIC/NPC members on GreekChat.

But, you have to remember that it is not solely the responsbility of NIC/NPC groups to initiate integration. Non-"whites" have to be interested and willing to look past the stereotypes and the years of unicolorism (is that a word??) to realize the true merits of these great GLOs!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 03-31-2004 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
The premise of this thread is invalid in some parts of this country. My fraternity, a "white fraternity" has some chapters where white members are a minority. We were founded on ideals, not on ethnicity.

As far as breaking the race barrier in the South, and you list Memphis as your hometown, the main barriers have not been racist active members. Historically, the biggest opposition has come from alumni who have flexed their muscles to maintain the status quo.

Once the issue of racism among active and alumni members is passed, there is still another issue that often prevents a "white" fraternity or sorority from becoming racially integrated. Many African Americans do not want to be the first, and only AA member. In other words, you will have 0, or 2+ black pledges, but not 1.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

It just depends ... a lot of historically white sororities and frats have black members. A lot of it depends on where you are in the country and I must say in the south it is harder.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: New Orleans. Or pure unpenetrable evil, depending on what I feel like at the moment.
Send a message via AIM to GPhiLlama Send a message via Yahoo to GPhiLlama
Every NPC sorority on my (Southern) campus is integrated. My chapter has several African-American, Hispanic, and Asian women, and I'm proud to call all of them my sisters. Same with the fraternities. It's nice.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

The other reponses are so true. NPC sororities aren't supposed to refuse a girl because she's not white. My sorority initiated its first minority member back in 1953, a Chinese girl, called Diana Lam. She's from Vancouver and attended the University of British Columbia.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:33 AM

This is an issue that's close to me, being a black member of an NPC. I chose my org. not b/c everyone in it isn't black, but b/c I click w/ EVERY girl in my chapter.

In a perfect world, it wouldn't be a big deal that a black woman got a bid to Gamma Phi Beta at Alabama. But a LOT of the greek systems @ southern schools are deeply rooted in tradition, a tradition that excluded blacks.

I WISH more women of color would at least consider an NPC. I think a lot of women have preconceived notions about NPC's though ( drinking, partying, etc.). The stereotypes of the typical 'sorority girl' image are so strong that they don't even bother.

I love my chapter and I wish there were more Afr. Americans interested in rush. I know at least 4 of the fraternities here have 5+ black members in their chapter. I guess that's a sign that things are changing.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter has latina, african amierican, caucasian, chinese, japaneese, and everything in between and every mixture ... of course I live in California so diversity is a bit more status quo... HOWEVER even in the south (and other more segregated areas) ethinicity shouldn't be a factor as to if you get a bid or not.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
The premise of this thread is invalid in some parts of this country. My fraternity, a "white fraternity" has some chapters where white members are a minority. We were founded on ideals, not on ethnicity.

As far as breaking the race barrier in the South, and you list Memphis as your hometown, the main barriers have not been racist active members. Historically, the biggest opposition has come from alumni who have flexed their muscles to maintain the status quo.

Once the issue of racism among active and alumni members is passed, there is still another issue that often prevents a "white" fraternity or sorority from becoming racially integrated. Many African Americans do not want to be the first, and only AA member. In other words, you will have 0, or 2+ black pledges, but not 1.
I agree with you. I think that it will take sheer guts for an AA to be in an "all white" sorority or fraternity.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

A lot of women legitamately do not KNOW that we aren't whites-only anymore and we haven't been for a long time. To be as discreet as possible, I know a young lady who is pursuing membership in a non-NPC sorority who did not know that my sorority accepted non-white members. She thought we still were WASP only based on comments made to her by members of her ethnic community.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Its weird, on my *very* diverse campus, NPC sororities had EVERY race... but not many blacks. This was odd because the school has a very high black population. My sorority has a ton of Asian, Latina, and Indian members, but no blacks when I was an active (I think they do now, though). I remember giving out a bid to one girl through COB who everyone loved who ultimately didn't accept. I know for my chapter it wasnt discrimination-- we didn't have black girls express interest. They went to the NHPC chapters. And its clear at my Northern school that NPC is integrated.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

My school (small school in Georgia) just recently had an NPC initiate its first black sisters. Last fall Alpha Gamma Delta initiated 2 black sisters and a third earlier this semester. One of the fall girls happens to be one of my very best friends. Yes, in 2003, they are the first black NPC members at Mercer. Unfortunately that is how the South is, and I wish I could change it singlehandedly. My friend and I have talked about it before and what I hate is that she was on the receiving end of a lot of crap for pledging an NPC. It was just something different and people dont respond well to that. But she went where her heart told her to go, and what she and the other 2 girls have done is really important for Greek Life at my school and Greek Life in general. Most importantly, they didn't let race stand in the way of what they wanted even though it was "taboo." The strange thing was, the opposition she got was not from other Greeks (IFC, NPC, or NPHC) but from non Greeks. As a Greek community we were all excited about the change that was made. Ok, it is late and I am rambling, but I hope you can weed out what I am trying to say, that as slow as it is going, progress is being made!
Old 04-01-2004, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
well i think they could attract more minorities by working with cultural clubs or events dealing with diversity. It doesnt feel comfortable with white people (no offense) which is why there is rise in cultural greeks........ Also I think for rush they should make sure to say that there is no discrimination blah blah and try to have their "minorities" sisters out front so people can see it is not ALL white... I hate to say the word token but some greeks do that....one philipino out of 120 whites in a fraternity is not a good thing to me........He later realized he never felt comfortable after the crossing over. They just have him around but not really "brothers".
Old 04-01-2004, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

when I went to ASU, I was a tiny bit apprehensive about rushing because of my ethnicity, but I didn't let it stop me.

I was naive at the time and assumed all groups NPC and NPHC held rush together .

All the NPC chapters were very diverse, but had a few black members, I would say from what I learned during rush that either most or all had either some who were current members or just graduated.

The chapter that I ultimately pledged at from the inside looking out, was the most diverse having representatives from all ethnicities. This was back in 1991, I don't know how diverse the groups are now, but I'm sure they are about the same or even more.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Oy vey -- you're opening up a can of worms.

I think that what needs to be understood is that the Alabama situation is comparatively rare. I would guess that 95% of "historically white" Greek systems have been integrated for years. That does not mean that they are well-integrated -- many historically white sororities and fraternities do not have that many black members (or in some cases, Asian/Hispanic/other minorities). But most of the time this is not for lack of trying. I think the majority of NPC/NIC Greek systems would welcome a quality rushee regardless of skin color -- but many times, people of color feel more at home in an NPHC/NALFO/multicultural-based group.

I agree with GP -- there are problems on both sides of the fence. Because of the history of Greek organizations the historically white fraternities and sororities aren't seen as welcoming towards people of color even though they may be. Personally I don't feel that the NPC sororities have done enough to counteract the old "whites only" clauses, both written and understood. But we can't decide who rushes, and if there are no PNMs of color then there can't be any non-white sorority girls either.