GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 864
1 members and 863 guests
Xidelt

Old 12-23-2011, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping for an update:

Son decided (thanks in part to some suggestions here, thanks in part to great tutoring and probably thanks in part to some video-game grounding) both that he could do the algebra and that he needed to do it.

Although he didn't do great on the last test before the mid-term, he took advantage of the chance to improve his grade by correcting the questions he missed. All of his corrections were right. As a result, he got a D for the quarter instead of failing. We'll take passing.

But more impressive was that he actually studied for the mid-term -- perhaps more and over a longer period of time than he has ever studied for anything before. He was trying really hard not to just beam when he told us (as matter-of-factly as he could) that he made a 92 on the mid-term. That was well above the class average. He would have made an A (93 and above), but he missed what he said was the easiest question -- the kind you can only miss if you misread it, which he did. (There's another lesson for him -- read carefully.)

The result, even though he made Ds both quarters, his semester grade is a C thanks to the mid-term. I don't think we've ever been so proud of or made such a fuss over a C before. He got to choose where he wanted to go for a celebration dinner (meaning he picked where he likes the desserts best). And he's gotten lots of positive feedback from his teacher about how well he has been doing. We seem to have hit the point of confidence and success building on each other.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

^^ Like!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

That's awesome, MC! A 'C' is very admirable in a difficult subject! And what's better is that if he keeps this up it could get even higher before the year is out and even if he doesn't, he's learned how to conquer a challenging intellectual subject. That is SO necessary in college and in later life. You're should be very proud of him.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Great news!
Old 12-24-2011, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

HUGE news. Been studying your update post to see what tidbits I can glean to apply with others. Thanks for letting us know how it has progressed.

Since the intrinsic payoff isn't there for him, the way it is for many neurotypicals, I've found your combination approach to be interesting. That's what seemed to be effective. OK. Good to know.

BTW I sent you a reference after I attended an incredible workshop on 11-30. Let me know if you didn't get it and I will resend.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-27-2011, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
BTW I sent you a reference after I attended an incredible workshop on 11-30. Let me know if you didn't get it and I will resend.
I did get it (though not for a while -- haven't been good about checking lately). Thanks so much!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Just thought I'd update . . . and boast . . . a little.

Son just finished first semester of high school, and at his high school, most courses are semester-long, not year-long. Straight As first quarter and straight As second quarter, so A Honor Roll for the semester!

And that includes math, which was a "bridge" course to make sure all algebra skills were in place before starting geometry. He worked hard in that class and finished with a 98 average. He still doesn't love math, but he did catch on quickly once he started high school that grades matter now, so he's willing to put in the effort and he's liking the results he sees when he does put in that effort.

His parents are proud.