GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,191
2 members and 1,189 guests
LarryByday, Low D Flat

Old 02-14-2007, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

We have not officially nor unofficially affiliated with any NPC organization. "phenomenalZTA" is a Zeta Tau Alpha and Appalachian State alum, as well as a friend of one of the women in our interest group. Personally, I consider her a Rho Gamma and friend more than any actual affilation. We appreciate her wisdom and guidance in our situation as she takes time out of her schedule to help us, and as the official Greek Advisors are quite busy.

Thanks ladies, It is hard for me to be completely unbiased, but I am trying my darndest! My heart lies with all panhellenic women, as my grandmother is an SDT, and I have cousins who are ADPi and KAT!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-14-2007, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauroo615 View Post

We are working incredibly hard to have extension opened on our campus. I think it would be a shame to possibly hinder the chances of our extension and national affiliation simply because ugly rumors flying about.

I'm a little confused. Has ASU already approved expansion? You're already talking about extension (which happens AFTER expansion procedures, unless I'm mistaken). I got the impression that the expansion was not for sure yet.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
On the one hand, I think the information is appreciated.

On the other, I feel like you're really overreacting. I really didn't see people on here talking about anything along those lines.

/YMMV
Gotta agree. Especially the part about whether they had affiliated with an NPC. I don't remember anyone questioning that part.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
An interest group or local sorority can do several things to prepare themselves and their campus community for a possible expansion opportunity. Opening a dialogue about expansion and what it entails, and what it does not, is part of that preparation and a part of the overall process. It sounds like that is what they are doing at Appalachian. Once the discussion is over, the Panhellenic Association will vote to officially open the campus or not. I wish them all the best.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
Gotta agree. Especially the part about whether they had affiliated with an NPC. I don't remember anyone questioning that part.
I think that came from me saying it would behoove them not to get too excited about this group or that, for a variety of reasons. I'm sure some of us remember the GCer who registered under a very XYZ-centric user name and made all her posts in that sorority's color - and then her interest group ended up becoming a totally different NPC. It just makes you look a little silly if it doesn't come to pass.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think that came from me saying it would behoove them not to get too excited about this group or that, for a variety of reasons. I'm sure some of us remember the GCer who registered under a very XYZ-centric user name and made all her posts in that sorority's color - and then her interest group ended up becoming a totally different NPC. It just makes you look a little silly if it doesn't come to pass.
Yeah, I just didn't see what here made her feel threatened about the chances of the interest group's success. Like GC was going to get involved or something.

*shrug* I hope everything works out for them. I like when greek life expands
Old 02-14-2007, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It isn't just GC sentiment, it's Panhellenic procedure.

I don't understand why Aaron and Julie are holding a meeting when there's already an established interest group.

It doesn't really matter, they can do whatever they want, if the college Panhellenic votes it down it's a moot point.

Believe me, if any of the national groups get wind of things not being done as they should, things will get straightened out quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
Of course, an email to the NPC Chair might do the same thing.......

Hmmm......I wonder who might do that? lol

Whatever the intent of these posts, they come across as a veiled threat. That's the way they sounded to me and, apparently, I wasn't alone in that assessment.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 02-14-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-14-2007, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Well maybe someone should email the NPC chair.....

I mean, I'm not NPC and something still seems fishy about it to me. And it doesn't matter whether I'm alone or not, cuz I am Senusret I and I'm outta here..... lol
Old 02-14-2007, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thank you Leslie Anne! What you quoted was exactly what I was reading into, if not "over-reading" into. Sure, there's a chance I'm overreacting, but we're working incredibly hard over here to make sure everything works out as we hope, and I for one want to make sure all bases are covered. Even if the bases include a message board.

Keep the responses coming, though! I know my previous post didn't quite come across as this - but I do enjoy reading what everyone thinks about our situation. Even if the thoughts are not-so positive, I'd like to soak up all the knowledge I can!

Thanks to everyone, and keep it coming!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Whatever the intent of these posts, they come across as a veiled threat. That's the way they sounded to me and, apparently, I wasn't alone in that assessment.
Oh for crying out loud, I wasn't "threatening" anyone. My group doesn't have a chapter there, so it's not like I could do diddly squat even if I was in that sort of position. Just stating that if the nationals of any of the groups think that things are being done re expansion that jeopardize their chapter there, they're going to act to correct it in some way.

And also, if the college Panhellenic votes expansion down, it's a moot point. That's a statement of fact, not a threat. It doesn't matter how wonderful of an idea it is if the CPC decides it isn't. It's not like I'm going to call the App State Panhel reps and promise them a pony if they vote it down.

Here's the thing: having had experience with one of my org's chapters getting f'ed over because Panhellenic procedures weren't followed, I'm kind of a stickler for the rules where NPC is concerned. If that makes me "threatening", so be it.

Last edited by 33girl; 02-14-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

And also, if the college Panhellenic votes expansion down, it's a moot point. That's a statement of fact, not a threat. It doesn't matter how wonderful of an idea it is if the CPC decides it isn't. It's not like I'm going to call the App State Panhel reps and promise them a pony if they vote it down.

That's exactly what I'm getting at, as well. It seems like a much better idea to allow the CPC to vote on expansion FIRST before getting these girls hopes up.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Well maybe someone should email the NPC chair.....

I mean, I'm not NPC and something still seems fishy about it to me. And it doesn't matter whether I'm alone or not, cuz I am Senusret I and I'm outta here..... lol
Yep, we've done that too. Emailed the chair, I mean. Why are you suggesting "someone" email the NPC chair on a national message board, anyway?

Also, we don't have our hopes up. We have having a blast as it is, getting together and doing community service, and learning how to work together overall. Over half of our group are rising seniors, so if this doesn't work out in terms of affiliating, we will still have memories of having a great time.

Last edited by lauroo615; 02-14-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
It's not like I'm going to call the App State Panhel reps and promise them a pony if they vote it down.
I'd want either a Bashkir Curly or a Paso Fino.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yep, we've done that too. Emailed the chair, I mean. Why are you suggesting "someone" email the NPC chair on a national message board, anyway?
Because as I said, in the same post you're quoting, that it sounds FISHY.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Chances are, it probably already happened.

I know of at least 3 NPC VP-Extensions who read GC daily.