GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,542
1 members and 2,541 guests
No Members online

Old 12-12-2007, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Dad kills daughter, 16 because she "wanted to be 'free'"

Quote:
She wanted to be like any other teenage girl.

Aqsa Parvez, 16, who died Monday night after being attacked in her Mississauga home, wanted to hang out with friends instead of obeying her 5 p.m. curfew. She wanted to listen to rap, hip hop and R & B, which her parents didn't permit.
When is strict, too strict?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

When someone dies because of it.

In all honesty the dad probably thought he was being a good father as she was the youngest of 8 and the others probably had similar rules (although the male-female rules are probably different) so even if she'd grown up with those rules until she turned 18 it's not necesssarily "too strict."

Her murder however is terrible and tragic.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

.....WTF!?!?!
Old 12-12-2007, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
wow.
What a sad story.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Every time I read one of these stories, I feel so angry, both because it only fuels the perception that immigrants from South Asia are somehow backwards and cling to their barbaric customs such as honor killings (and I'm not for a moment suggesting that behavior like this man's is at all permissible), and anger because the community STILL refuses to acknowledge it, to try and empower its women not to tolerate this kind of abuse, to create support networks and help women escape these situations instead of turning a blind eye. We can only be the change we want to see in the world, nobody else can do it for us, but I don't know when the day will come that the South Asian community finally says 'enough is enough, we need to do something about this problem.'
Old 12-12-2007, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
When someone dies because of it.

In all honesty the dad probably thought he was being a good father as she was the youngest of 8 and the others probably had similar rules (although the male-female rules are probably different) so even if she'd grown up with those rules until she turned 18 it's not necesssarily "too strict."

Her murder however is terrible and tragic.

You know, it's quite possible that she'd have to live with these rules even after she turned 18. With a dad like that, it would have not been likely that she'd be allowed to go away to school.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taualumna View Post
You know, it's quite possible that she'd have to live with these rules even after she turned 18. With a dad like that, it would have not been likely that she'd be allowed to go away to school.
This took place in Canada, and I'm not familar with Canada's laws, but I thought that 18 was still the age of "adulthood" - she may not have been "allowed" to go away for school, but there wouldn't have been anything her dad could have done to stop her at that point. The article said she had lived in a shelter, so obviously, she would have done what it takes to get out on her own, even if that means being homeless.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
This took place in Canada, and I'm not familar with Canada's laws, but I thought that 18 was still the age of "adulthood" - she may not have been "allowed" to go away for school, but there wouldn't have been anything her dad could have done to stop her at that point. The article said she had lived in a shelter, so obviously, she would have done what it takes to get out on her own, even if that means being homeless.
Many of the girls killed by parents or relatives were adults over 18 years of age. In any case, when you live with your parents, whether you're 6 or 46, you're still a "child" to them and live by "their rules." Even if she lived in a shelter, it's quite possible that someone can find her, especially if she's going to school. Many immigrant communities are very tight-knit.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

This is just ridiculous!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taualumna View Post
Many of the girls killed by parents or relatives were adults over 18 years of age. In any case, when you live with your parents, whether you're 6 or 46, you're still a "child" to them and live by "their rules." Even if she lived in a shelter, it's quite possible that someone can find her, especially if she's going to school. Many immigrant communities are very tight-knit.
You're missing my point. It's possible that if she made it to 18, she would have taken off, full speed ahead - possibly to another provence on the other side of the country, and never looked back, and there would have been nothing her dad could have done to stop her.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
You're missing my point. It's possible that if she made it to 18, she would have taken off, full speed ahead - possibly to another provence on the other side of the country, and never looked back, and there would have been nothing her dad could have done to stop her.

right...but her *brother* tricked her into coming home for a change of clothes!!!!!! This was all premeditated! Her brother should be charged as well.

It is all about family "honor" and what constitutes disgrace. How killing your willful daughter restores family honor and removes disgrace is beyond me...
Old 12-12-2007, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageofages View Post
right...but her *brother* tricked her into coming home for a change of clothes!!!!!! This was all premeditated! Her brother should be charged as well.
I'm not sure why you quoted me, since this still has nothing to do with leaving with the intent of never returning, but since you did...

Where did you get the idea that her brother tricked her, and that the murder was premeditated? Her brother might not have been acting under direction from the father, and you can't tell either way from the article. Also, if the murder was premeditated, the father probably wouldn't have called 911.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It is all about family "honor" and what constitutes disgrace. How killing your willful daughter restores family honor and removes disgrace is beyond me...
I totally agree! How can a parent think discipline goes to the point of death. So if you do not obey I will kill you. How about kicking them out of the house if it is too bad. I am still looking like about this story.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
I'm not sure why you quoted me, since this still has nothing to do with leaving with the intent of never returning, but since you did...

Where did you get the idea that her brother tricked her, and that the murder was premeditated? Her brother might not have been acting under direction from the father, and you can't tell either way from the article. Also, if the murder was premeditated, the father probably wouldn't have called 911.

If she had left with the intent to never return, why did she return to her house with her brother? Her brother brought her back to the house to "get a change of clothes", ok, granted he was acting on his father's request.

from an article: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/14831144/detail.html

""“She got threatened by her father and her brother,” Dominiquia Holmes-Thompson told the newsaper. “He said that if she leaves, he would kill her.”""

Still that makes the meeting at the house "prearranged", does it not? Her father called 911 AFTER the assault resulting in death had occurred. She was apparently strangled or beaten. Either instance *someone* else has to inflict the injuries resulting in death.

I still don't understand how killing your daughter restores family honor.

Last edited by sageofages; 12-12-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If she had left with the intent to never return, why did she return to her house with her brother? Her brother brought her back to the house to "get a change of clothes", ok, granted he was acting on his father's request.
I DON'T think she had the intent never to return.