GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,234
2 members and 2,232 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 03-13-2001, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Post National Convention

Good evening. Just curious what you all think about your National Conventions. Our Chapter hasn't gone in about 10 years, so I was curious if you thought it was worth it.
Also, as Alumni does your GLO Alumni Association sponsor($) your actives members participation, or do you have them pay the full amount themselves? I'm thinking of raising it at the next Alumni meeting that we should sponsor them, as they have little to no money to spare. I really think these guys need to get a bigger picture understanding of what is going on!

Thoughts? Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2001, 12:44 AM

Hi fellow alum...

Our national conferences (Karnea) are great. Always good to be with the undergrads, and a lot of meetings and other stuff for the alumni as well.

I absolutely agree with you that it is very beneficial for undergrads to attend if at all possible. It lets them see that the fraternity really does mean something past the college years. The brotherhood is important for them to experience. And, of course, it allows them to be a part of the governance of the organization as a whole.

Our alumni chapter is fairly new and we haven't had the money to sponsor undergrads to this point -- we're just starting to offer a couple of small scholarships for our two local chapters.

Generally, though, the house corporations offer some kind of help for Karnea and Division meetings, depending on funds available.

Also, the international offers a modest mileage fee. If you come from a long way, and book a flight early enough, it will sometimes cover travel.

Fraternally,
DeltAlum
Old 03-14-2001, 03:00 AM
Unregistered-

Hello alum.

I am not an alum yet (I will be in about a year or so), but I just wanted to share what our alums to for my collegiate chapter.

I have not been our Convention yet. However, 2001 is a Convention year, and I hope to attend! We have an ongoing fundraising effort to send at LEAST 10 girls to Atlanta this year. One of our chapter shirts was a hit with the alumnae chapter, so one of them suggested that selling them to AGDs across the country would be a good idea. One alum offered to front the money for the production of the shirts, and we've had many orders in emails as well as successful auctions on eBay.

Our collegiate chapter does not have a lot of money, but with the efforts of our fabulous alumnae, it looks like we're going to send more than 10 girls to Atlanta!!!

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter!
Old 03-14-2001, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Sigma Sigma Sigma's National Convention is this summer. I am my alum chapter's delegate and will be going! I CANNOT WAIT! This will be my second convention and hope to go to all the rest in my lifetime. They are every three years, so it gives me enough time to save $$$ and pay to go. I am going a few days early so I can enjoy the spa facilities. We have SO much planned and we have the BEST banquets, full of sisterhood and laughs. I cannot wait to meet new sisters and some of the sisters I've met online!
Any other Sigmas going??
Old 03-14-2001, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Our 162nd Convention (Beta Theta Pi) is going to be held at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio. We hold it every year and its a huge affair. Usually we have it in different places every year. Our Nationals sponsers undergraduates to come at a discounted rate too. I want to go to Convention this year. I should be shot I guess because I havent been to one yet and there always something that comes up. We have Beta Sweethearts(brother's girlfriends) and Beta Ladies(Beta Wifes) that come to the Convention. A big piece is done on it every year in the Beta Theta Pi Magazine which comes out twice a year.

Fraternally,
Kevin

[This message has been edited by Miami1839 (edited March 14, 2001).]

Old 03-16-2001, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.'s 46th National Convention is in 2002 and will be held in Altanta. Our 45th was last year in Chicago. We have Regional Conferences in the odd-numbered years. This year, the Southern Regional Conference is in Biloxi, MS.

I definely think conventions & conferences are worth it. They're great venues to fellowship and exchange ideas with Sorors you haven't met and catching up with chapter Sorors you haven't seen in a while. Our conventions & cnferences are also where everything happens as far as policy, procedure, rules & regulations are concerned. Because of this, all our chapters are required to be represented by 2 delegates, but everyone in the Sorority is welcome & encouraged to register and attend. There is so much to learn about the workings of the Sorority at conventions and conferences as well.

As far as sponsorship goes, our Alumnae Chapters do not generally sponsor Collegiate Chapters. All chapters: Alumnae, Collegiate, & Core, are expected to raise funds throughout the year to fund not only registrations & trips to various conferences, meetings, and conventions but also to support the chapters own programs and initiatives. This is not to say that Alumnae chapters do not assist Collegiate & core chapters at all. It's just that by the time a Soror initiated at the Collegiate level graduates, she should be extremely familiar with how a chapter is run.

------------------
Have nothing to do this weekend? Check out the Events Forum

Kelli
12-DN-94
an equal opportunity grumpy person

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited March 16, 2001).]