GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 922
0 members and 922 guests
No Members online

Old 07-17-2000, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Question First-Semester Freshman Rush?

For those organizations/chapters with an option in the matter - do you offer bids to first-semester freshman? Or require that they wait until the second semester?

Just curious as to others' experiences and whether, long-term, you find any difference in the level of active/inactivity of these members as a result.
Old 07-17-2000, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Although I am a member of a BGLO and I know the the pledge/rush process is different.

I basically feel that first semester is the time that you get to know the college, get used to being out from under "mommy and daddy's wings" and just start to realize "woow, college isn't just like high school", so I feel like you should wait to the second semester.
Old 07-18-2000, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

sigma alpha iota does not allow freshmen to rush first semester anywhere. my campus doesn't, either. however, it hasn't stopped certain fraternities from rushing underground pledges....

etienne
sigma alpha iota-the hartt school of music

------------------
"red is the color of music and has been since the very earliest of times. the caps of faeries and musicians are well-nigh always red."~*~w.b.yeats
Old 07-18-2000, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Hmm, I thought I posted a reply yesterday, wonder why it didn't "take"?

Yes, A.S.K. offers bids to first-semester freshman. While we don't require rush guests to wait until they are 2nd semester freshman, many of my chapter's active members chose to wait until their 2nd semester, and in some cases, their sophomore year to rush.

I find that our most active and committed members are those who have a well-thought out plan for how to balance their committments, whether it's academics, greek life, leisure activities, hobbies, involvement etc, and it really has no bearing on when they rush. These are usually the young women who know their limits and know how to accomplish what they plan to accomplish, in spite of many hurdles.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 07-18-2000, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

On my campus, Panhellenic recruitment is aimed towards first semester freshmen women. Although we extend bids to women of all years(freshmen, sophs, juniors), we rarely extend a bid to a senior, because they'll be gone in a year, maximum.
New members are the life of your sorority. In our house(we're the largest on campus),we have to have younger girls. They need to see how things work(Panhellenic, IGC, house meetings) and learn, so when its their turn to be officers, they can correctly handle the positions.
Also, being such a small Greek population, most women get "get talked out of" rushing after their first semester. When we target them right after they get here, all of the houses have higher numbers.
Old 07-18-2000, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
BFulton,

Checking high school overall and senior year GPA could be an option for first-semester freshman rushees/candidates. I'm curious, when in the quarter/semester/term does Sigma Alpha rush?

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 07-18-2000, 07:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
At the University of British Columbia you are allowed to rush your very 1st term at school. Within my first month of starting university I was already a DPhiE
Old 07-18-2000, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by equeen:
BFulton,

Checking high school overall and senior year GPA could be an option for first-semester freshman rushees/candidates. I'm curious, when in the quarter/semester/term does Sigma Alpha rush?

equeen:

It varies a great deal by chapter. Most rush at the beginning of fall term. Some, due to either university/GLO requirements or their experiences with past rush events, wait until a month or so into the term to begin rush. The majority also hold a winter rush, usually at the start of the term. Those on quarters also typically hold a spring rush. Whew. Sounds tiring, eh? However, some that are on quarters may "skip" a rush depending on chapter numbers, etc.
Old 07-18-2000, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

oops - forgot to say that idea about asking for transfer or h.s. gpa is a good one! I think some do that, but I will suggest to others.
Old 07-18-2000, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
I'm not sure that our GLO has an official policy on when we can/cannot rush. My school did.. you had to have 1 semester's worth of classes in (and maintain a minimum GPA) to be a rush candidate.. so 2cnd semester freshman and transfer students w/ at least 1 semester (or the equavilant) completed through seniors could be rushees. The only exception to this would be cases where a high school student was involved in a program w/ a local college and had college credit, they still had to wait 1 semester to be eligible to rush.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 07-19-2000, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far!

I just realized I should post what we do (Sigma Alpha Sorority).

Nationally, we don't have a requirement either way. However, one does have to have at least a 2.25 gpa, so this usually means not initiating first-semester freshman or transfers until they have their first grade report. (Our rushes are often held a bit later in the term.)

We do have local chapters who either actively recruit freshman or have them wait until the second semester to rush.

[This message has been edited by BFulton (edited July 18, 2000).]