GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,408
0 members and 1,408 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I would not run it by anyone first. There is no confidentiality agreement in this person boasting about both NPC and NPHC membership. The info could have come from anywhere as far as the GLO NHQ's concerned.
Slow down there. Remember, the OP's duty is not to the NPHC organization or the NPC organization unless it's hers or unless there's some greenbook something which requires mandatory reporting. Her first duty is to the university's students. A disclosure like this could definitely do more harm than good to the university's students by placing the Greek system in chaos.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA SE285 View Post
I tend to think that for this reason, things will blow up in her face without somebody actively dropping a dime on her. Word will get out eventually to these people.
If OP goes and does something about this is will blow up in OP's face. Best to let this come out on it's own as it will inevitably happen when the time is right.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Best to let this come out on it's own as it will inevitably happen when the time is right.
I could easily see her getting busted, say, at a staff function of some sort when some clueless person on the interview panel introduces her to an NPHC-er: "Myrna is a member of both XYZ and ABC! Isn't that just lovely?" WOMP WOMP.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I wish that NPC groups didn't do such a poor job of keeping members engaged after college.
There are two ways to look at this (and I definitely agree with you).

There's the thought that NPC orgs suck as alumnae engagement. Having now supervised/mentored a member of an NPC organization, I do find it startling how few opportunities there are for her to use her sorority as a method of professional and personal advancement outside of college.

On the other hand, the women's fraternal movement/NPC specifically has always had organizations that (prior to desegregation and such - white) women were able to join, such as Junior League, OES, and whatever else is out there of a civic, service, and social nature.

Meanwhile, African American families have only far more recently (past century) had similar outlets available to them, and that outlet itself has been the NPHC sororities and fraternities.

So what do I mean by that in 2012? I mean that NPC women "graduate" to other organizations, if they feel so inclined, while NPHC women "graduate" to alumnae chapters of their own organizations.

There is also a very real cachet which comes with being in an NPHC sorority, in the form of community respect and such.

That said, NPC organizations probably need to to compare their alumnae experience to that of the Junior League and whatever else it is that women are joining in the mainstream in order to keep women engaged.

(I have said, similarly, that Alpha Phi Omega needs to look at the Kiwanis, Jaycees, and other civic/service organizations to measure itself against.)

Sorry for rambling... I just wanted to say I agree with you and provide some observations.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Call her NPHC headquarters immediately. I would also ask them to impress upon your college that this is 5000 kinds of wrong and she should be removed from her position.

People - this is TEN YEARS AGO. That's NOT that long, and certainly long enough that the rules about not having dual membership were in place (not to mention long enough to look up all these things on the internet). We are not talking about a sweet little old lady who forgot that she joined KKG in 1954. We are talking about a 32 year old woman who apparently is very good at preying on chapters with low enough self esteem to accept this shiz.

Can you imagine if this got out what it would do to the rush process - for ALL conferences - at this school? People would be demanding to change groups left and right, because this woman is setting such a horrid example.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
That said, NPC organizations probably need to to compare their alumnae experience to that of the Junior League and whatever else it is that women are joining in the mainstream in order to keep women engaged.
NPC organizations are moving that way, but all of the generations of members already lost to JL et cetera are unlikely to come back. We'll have to rely on efforts to capture the current, future, and recent generations.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Slow down there. Remember, the OP's duty is not to the NPHC organization or the NPC organization unless it's hers or unless there's some greenbook something which requires mandatory reporting. Her first duty is to the university's students. A disclosure like this could definitely do more harm than good to the university's students by placing the Greek system in chaos.
LOL. There is a reason why the OP brought this to GC rather than talking to the people in the Greek system at the school. I doubt the people in the Greek system will tell the OP to call the GLO NHQ. Then the OP will have no choice but to get over it all.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
NPC organizations are moving that way, but all of the generations of members already lost to JL et cetera are unlikely to come back. We'll have to rely on efforts to capture the current, future, and recent generations.
I'm hopeful for that day and feel similarly about Alpha Phi Omega.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I'd leave it alone.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Banned

I think it will cause a whole lot more damage to the school and its Greek life if it's allowed to blow up in public like it eventually will.

This woman obtained this position in part by using the fact that she knowingly broke the rules as a selling point.

Anonymous calls to both organizations may quietly resolve this without a complete public meltdown that will harm the overall system at the school.

Will people assume it was you? Of course. But she has mentioned it to enough people where there will always be doubt.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
LOL. There is a reason why the OP brought this to GC rather than talking to the people in the Greek system at the school. I doubt the people in the Greek system will tell the OP to call the GLO NHQ. Then the OP will have no choice but to get over it all.
I can't blame you for advocating for what is very possibly our own organization. That said, I'm just providing information and recommendations just the same as you are.

If you don't even think the people in the Greek system at OP's school would advocate for her turning this into the national organizations, then whose best interests are you advocating for here? OP is the president of her student body, not the dual membership police.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

OP has a lot more to lose than one would expect. As a person who has had to bear the truth when no one wanted to hear it, I can tell you they always shoot the messenger.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 08-13-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
If you don't even think the people in the Greek system at OP's school would advocate for her turning this into the national organizations, then whose best interests are you advocating for here? OP is the president of her student body, not the dual membership police.
As I said, if this gets around (and apparently this woman has diarrhea of the mouth to the point that it will) it will damage the chapters as people will be thinking it's OK to quit one, join another, the same way as you get a new apartment in the fall. That is exactly the sort of thing a student body president should be concerned about as it can do great harm to the Greek system.

I also really wonder how many people who are saying to let it go would be saying the same thing if she had joined 2 different NPCs.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
I can't blame you for advocating for what is very possibly our own organization.
That is not what I am doing and I do not assume that this has to do with my sorority.

Yes, we are all providing recommendations. I am responding to your response to me. I recommend calling the NPHC GLO NHQ. The OP will figure out what to do.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
As I said, if this gets around (and apparently this woman has diarrhea of the mouth to the point that it will) it will damage the chapters as people will be thinking it's OK to quit one, join another, the same way as you get a new apartment in the fall. That is exactly the sort of thing a student body president should be concerned about as it can do great harm to the Greek system.

I also really wonder how many people who are saying to let it go would be saying the same thing if she had joined 2 different NPCs.
The way things were described, this will get around on its own and someone will probably turn it in. If this woman was as open about her dual affiliation during the interview process as was described, she'll be open about it later.

You're suggesting that if this dual membership issue is made public as if that will lead to some sort of chaos on its own. I doubt that the individual groups on this campus would actually accept such a situation.

As to whether this would be the same if it was between two different NPCs, I think we'd have a brightline rule that it's a no-no. Going back to that '02 thread, no one, including you, seemed to have a clue as to any specific prohibition. While one NPHC group might have that specific prohibition, it's entirely possible that neither the NPC nor the affected NPHC have such a thing, but might instead have some sort of rule like the one I posted from Sigma Nu which could really be argued both ways.